A Message to UPS Teamsters From Local 89 President Fred Z

brownone

What does a strike do? Drives away customers, so there are less jobs when it is over. Is the economy really that good so that either side can afford a work stoppage? Customers have options that they did not have in 97. Slam all over my post, but that is reality.

stink219

What does a strike do? Drives away customers, so there are less jobs when it is over. Is the economy really that good so that either side can afford a work stoppage? Customers have options that they did not have in 97. Slam all over my post, but that is reality.
Your right. We are still at a 7.5ish unemployment rate. Some people will always think of a strike as getting what they want. Look at recent labor strikes of this decade. It's not the same as it was 15 years ago. Not even close.

+1,000,000,000,000,000

fedupups

and FYI Hoffa our UNION leader has given up our right to strike...and NO striking isn't my first preference (I have a family to feed)...I do want a fair contract where UPS makes a ton of money...I get all my medical benefits..an Increase in my pension (I am from 804)..$1/year pay increase...and more full times jobs...but am not willing to sell out while UPS makes record profits...HOFFA is a joke...never driven a truck and shame on us if he is around after the next election..he would probably suit up in brown if UPS asked him to...

hyena

Our union has goten weak. Thankfully we have tdu. Our beloved Hoffa and hall should've never extended the negotiations. We should've used the deadline for leverage. We deserve better! And to answer you stink we didn't give up our right to strike but Hoffa and Hall clearly want this deal to go through and that's why they extended this agreement. Again theyre ignoring the members who want more. A strike can still happen they just made it harder because it doesn't suit their interests. But it should be about the members not them which unfornatally its what its been about the whole time. Theres more of us educated now which they didn't plan on. People who know the contract should be able to read between the lines and see were being sold out!

Last edited:

stink219

And to answer you stink we didn't give up our right to strike but Hoffa and Hall clearly want this deal to go through and that's why they extended this agreement. A strike can still happen they just made it harder because it doesn't suit their interests.
I was just curious as to why a few others on here would be saying "indefinite extension" or "taking away rights to strike". I'm glad you stepped up and told it like it is.

fedupups

U kidding me stink...we HAD leverage August 1st...now your clowns in Washington have forgone that...Hoffa and Hall r a joke..why give UPS leverage if almost half the people that voted didn't like the contract..and before u say almost half...u r talking about a couple of locals that made a huge difference in the numbers that were force feed a bunch of garbage (Spineless Boston area is one of them)....but again in the bylaws NO MASTER can pass without ALL Supplements passing...this was our leverage and your brown suited buddy Hoffa sold us out

stink219

U kidding me stink...we HAD leverage August 1st...now your clowns in Washington have forgone that...Hoffa and Hall r a joke..why give UPS leverage if almost half the people that voted didn't like the contract..and before u say almost half...u r talking about a couple of locals that made a huge difference in the numbers that were force feed a bunch of garbage (Spineless Boston area is one of them)....but again in the bylaws NO MASTER can pass without ALL Supplements passing...this was our leverage and your brown suited buddy Hoffa sold us out
So your saying that east new England is spineless? Your saying Sean O, the highest voted for out of any other, is spineless? He had more votes in one region than Sandy had over the country. Hoffa and Hall are my clowns? They are also the majorities clowns also. I guess you think everyone that doesn't adhere to your belief structure is spineless. So no, I'm not kidding you kid. That's a lot of tough talk from a dude hiding behind his keyboard. And your wrong, no master can be SIGNED without the supplements passing. What area are you from Fed? I do a lot of research. Are you part of Flip-Flop Fred's local? How about Bluto Sylvester's of 804? Maybe he should be focussing his attention on getting all those guys back to work? What is it a record of how many UPSers have been fired with him running the show. In ENE, we don't lose people to termination. TDU local, really? Not even close.

Skooney

I was just curious as to why a few others on here would be saying "indefinite extension" or "taking away rights to strike". I'm glad you stepped up and told it like it is.

Because there is no official statement from the company or the union. My union reps know almost nothing about what took place when this "indefinite extension" mumbo-jumbo appeared in the media, that's why - and I can't imagine it's any different anywhere else, included in Local 89 where Fred Z is spouting off that "we gave away our right to strike".

We have nothing else to go on, and if such is true, they sold us out. It's as simple as that. Maybe you are more optimistic than that, but until we know for certain, you can only assume what little facts, if any facts, are out there.

stink219

There is an official statement. Have you looked on the IBT website?
Here:
June 28, 2013
The Teamsters Union and UPS have agreed to an extension of the current UPS National Master Agreement and all Supplements, Riders and Addenda. The extension does not have a specific end date, but can be terminated by either side with a 30-day notice.
This means that all of the current Agreements will remain in place until the Supplements that did not receive a majority of votes have been re-voted and agreed to. Any increases in wages, pensions and health and welfare contributions that were agreed to in the new National Master Agreement will be made retroactively to August 1, 2013 but will not take effect until the Supplements have been re-voted and agreed to.
In addition, UPS has agreed not to implement the increase in retiree contributions to retiree health insurance on August 1, 2013 as set forth in letters that were sent out to Retirees in December of 2012.

stink219

The reason these other clowns are spouting "indefinite" is because there is no finality date. How can you have one when you haven't set up meetings yet. These locals haven't submitted their reports of changes to the supplements.

Skooney

So basically media outlets just used Fred Z's words.. Because that statement does not sound like what I read when I originally stumbled upon the "infinite extension" article.

I was on the IBT website the day I got home from vacation (Monday) and it wasn't on the front page. But I do see it when I click on the headlines link. I apologize.

stink219

No worries man. 75% of the union game is politics. Wether it's governmental, IBT, TDU or media, the only way to make someone listen is to make a story so egregious that the person reading becomes angry. That's called political manipulation. It goes on everyday.