"A New Direction"

vantexan

At our morning meeting today both Ops mgrs used the phrase "the company is going in a new direction". One said if we can't make service we might not have a job much longer. Not a threat, he said, just the new reality. The other said that Express is going to become a smaller division. Current PTers who work mornings will be expected to take on open PUP rts and become FT. Interesting that both used the same phrase. Sounded like something told to them on a conference call. Anyone hearing anything along these lines?

bbsam

Staff member
That was the phrase used when they rolled out the ISP model at Ground. Look for significant changes.

jmeti000

Hmmm, I havent heard anything...but Im at a ramp and dont see much in the way of drivers. I will poke around and see what I can find out though. If there is a change coming, Im sure it will affect more than just the drivers, at least in some way...and I like to keep up on whether or not Im gonna get the "shaft" while corporate tries to convince me (or us) that the change is another "good thing".

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Making service is only gonna be as good as what Fred wants to pay for and these days it isn't very much my friends.

The upper management is setting us up to fail plain and simple.

If they can couriers for not making service (incompetence in their eyes) they'll all be eligeble for unemployment benefits and a large number of potential lawsuits.

FedEx2000

Making service is only gonna be as good as what Fred wants to pay for and these days it isn't very much my friends.

The upper management is setting us up to fail plain and simple.

If they can couriers for not making service (incompetence in their eyes) they'll all be eligeble for unemployment benefits and a large number of potential lawsuits.

And has anyone EVER been fired for having lates? No. Not hitting your SPH based on demonstrated performance? That's a performance issue and a whole other can of worms.

LTFedExer

And has anyone EVER been fired for having lates? No. Not hitting your SPH based on demonstrated performance? That's a performance issue and a whole other can of worms.
I've never known anyone to be fired for having lates. But, isn't that also a performance issue?

Cactus

Nobody I know has ever been fired for having lates. They'd have to fire everyone if that was the case. Now SPH based on demonstrated performance, if someone isn't hitting the precious numbers the engineers pull out of a hat, don't they first have to go through the courier improvement process?

At our morning meeting today both Ops mgrs used the phrase "the company is going in a new direction". One said if we can't make service we might not have a job much longer.

Van, are you sure this mananger isn't just blowing smoke just so his employees will make good numbers?

Chances are he may be lying (big surprise, I know) just to make himself look good on paper.

vantexan

(vantexan)It's possible, but seems in line with everything else that's going on. And it was 2 mgrs with the first one saying that Express is going to become a smaller division. That seems likely with Ground growth, the question is when and to what extent?

Somehow my answer got into the middle of yours, sorry.

vantexan

I think looking at UPS should give us a clue. How many dedicated overnight delivery drivers are at a typical UPS station? If they're trying to emulate UPS then Ground drivers are going to handle more and more overnight deliveries and Express will be handling much less. If they are ever able to shift all the cellphones over to Ground Express will be in trouble.

FedEx2000

Nobody I know has ever been fired for having lates. They'd have to fire everyone if that was the case. Now SPH based on demonstrated performance, if someone isn't hitting the precious numbers the engineers pull out of a hat, don't they first have to go through the courier improvement process?

Van, are you sure this mananger isn't just blowing smoke just so his employees will make good numbers?

Chances are he may be lying (big surprise, I know) just to make himself look good on paper.

Yes, they do.

Bailey4

VanTexan, so if AM PT's will be forced to go FT and take open pup rotes then what happens to PT's currently on PM pup routes? Do they get forced full time as well?

vantexan

VanTexan, so if AM PT's will be forced to go FT and take open pup rotes then what happens to PT's currently on PM pup routes? Do they get forced full time as well?
That might just be unique to our station's circumstances. We seem to have a hard time keeping enough PM pickup couriers. I run an extended rt so don't know exactly what they're doing beyond what they said in that meeting.

LTFedExer

PT might be given the option to go FT. But, they certainly can't be forced to.

WhatCrass

At our morning meeting today both Ops mgrs used the phrase "the company is going in a new direction". One said if we can't make service we might not have a job much longer. Not a threat, he said, just the new reality. The other said that Express is going to become a smaller division. Current PTers who work mornings will be expected to take on open PUP rts and become FT. Interesting that both used the same phrase. Sounded like something told to them on a conference call. Anyone hearing anything along these lines?

Yeah, there's a union drive of over 500 FedEx Freight workers in California and 70 FedEx Ground package handlers in Massachusetts are holding a union certification election on the 12th.

Freddy Smith's is on full alert right now.

Cactus

Yeah, there's a union drive of over 500 FedEx Freight workers in California and 70 FedEx Ground package handlers in Massachusetts are holding a union certification election on the 12th.

Freddy Smith's is on full alert right now.

Being the huge weasel that Smith is will probably try to get his legal department to delay things.

Wasn't this already delayed once?

SmithBarney

Funny our sta just hired three new(transfer/retiree) AM PTrs and transferred in a FTr, meanwhile I'm stuck PM(wanting to go back to FT(long story))
meanwhile they are forcing some routes to go 4x10, most drivers aren't making minimum hours(so they get the guarantee pay) and of course rumor has floated for years that they will split our sta 4 ways to the surrounding stations... a New Direction would be getting rid of the overhead(excess management)