A New Wrinkle

vantexan

I'm being told no lateral transfers, checked JCATS coming out tomorrow and our sister station, under same senior, is posting a FT courier position. Still haven't got anything in writing from my senior.

Ricochet1a

I'm being told no lateral transfers, checked JCATS coming out tomorrow and our sister station, under same senior, is posting a FT courier position. Still haven't got anything in writing from my senior.

So, I was right - no transfers. They can freeze transfers out of districts or stations, down to specific job codes - but this should've been announced BEFORE anyone bid on any positions.

I think you still have room to GFT your being held. If your particular station is up to manning (no vacant routes), AND they are posting a FT courier position... it has to be for the position you are currently holding.

They've only got 30 days though from the time the offer letter was returned, to let you go (without some really damn good reason to hold you otherwise).

Your best weapon to use against them in this case, is knowing the section of PEOPLE that deals with transfers inside and out.

vantexan

So, I was right - no transfers. They can freeze transfers out of districts or stations, down to specific job codes - but this should've been announced BEFORE anyone bid on any positions.

I think you still have room to GFT your being held. If your particular station is up to manning (no vacant routes), AND they are posting a FT courier position... it has to be for the position you are currently holding.

They've only got 30 days though from the time the offer letter was returned, to let you go (without some really damn good reason to hold you otherwise).

Your best weapon to use against them in this case, is knowing the section of PEOPLE that deals with transfers inside and out.

We have several couriers out on injury, and one FTer just quit, so probably about manning more than anything although sure looks like from reports here there seems to be a push to hold the line with the personnel they have. Would make sense if they're about to move at least ExpressSaver to Ground. The position posting Friday is for our sister station, find it interesting they'll allow someone to transfer in, but are telling me no lateral transfers. If I can find an interesting swing posting, might put in for it to get out of here. Watching the sparks fly would be a bonus. Out of curiosity if I have a signed offer letter and they won't let me transfer can I sue them for violating their own policy, sort of a breech(breach?)of contract?

Ricochet1a

With transfer freezes, they can specify which direction the freeze applies to. It looks like in your instance, no transfer OUT (but transfers IN are more than welcome).

Are any of those injuries past 90 days? If not, they can't be posted in JCATS - and that would explain why the no transfer out situation.

Again, Express Saver isn't being "moved" to Ground, it is just going to be ended as a service level offering by Express. If customers don't need (or want to pay for) 2nd day service, they will be "invited" to use Ground to move their shipment.

I'd be willing to bet that what is holding you up, is all of those Couriers out that are injured. If they weren't out, I don't think you would've had an issue in getting out of there.

Again, check PEOPLE to see what written policy is.

Goldilocks

We have several couriers out on injury, and one FTer just quit, so probably about manning more than anything although sure looks like from reports here there seems to be a push to hold the line with the personnel they have. Would make sense if they're about to move at least ExpressSaver to Ground. The position posting Friday is for our sister station, find it interesting they'll allow someone to transfer in, but are telling me no lateral transfers. If I can find an interesting swing posting, might put in for it to get out of here. Watching the sparks fly would be a bonus. Out of curiosity if I have a signed offer letter and they won't let me transfer can I sue them for violating their own policy, sort of a breech(breach?)of contract?

I'm thinking that everything is being put on hold right now, making sure each station is staffed properly and re-evaluating the stations needs. Not just the courier positions are being affected but every position in our Disctrict are being watched. Another way of no layoffs. Better this than a pink slip in October. JMO

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I'm thinking that everything is being put on hold right now, making sure each station is staffed properly and re-evaluating the stations needs. Not just the courier positions are being affected but every position in our Disctrict are being watched. Another way of no layoffs. Better this than a pink slip in October. JMO
This not gonna prevent any pink slippin' come October. JMO.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
You can also explore your options with an Open Door or a GFT....Good Luck to you...

OPEN DOOR --Don't let it hit you in the ass on your way out.

GFT-- Guaranteed *#cked treatment.

Good luck with either of them because they are designed to aid HR and Legal, NOT the employee.

vantexan

Off the Monday after filing. When I came in Tuesday my ops mgr, who is new and was on training while this was happening, told me he talked with senior on Monday and that it looked like they were going to let me transfer. Talked to senior that afternoon and he said of course with a signed offer letter I had the right to transfer. Even said that hiring freeze was officially over. Luckily I was on phone as I couldn't help but grin. There was a flurry of activity getting with mgmt at hiring station to get a new offer letter sent stating starting date in 45 days, which I agreed to. Mgr asked me to withdraw from GFT just as soon as I got new letter. Would have but there's a brand new mgr over there who screwed up letter, still showing old mgr's signature, starting date of July 15th, and date of Aug. 25th as deadline to return offer letter to him. So I'll wait until Tuesday to see if it makes any difference if it's not correct.

Ricochet1a

Talked to senior that afternoon and he said of course with a signed offer letter I had the right to transfer.

The bane of every Express Sr. Manager, signed, binding documentation... (of course you had the right to transfer)

Even said that hiring freeze was officially over.

Shortest "hiring freeze" in Express history.... I wonder if it only applied to you??

There was a flurry of activity getting with mgmt at hiring station to get a new offer letter sent stating starting date in 45 days, which I agreed to.

Ah yes, your Senior got "caught" in direct violation of company policy (trying to "go back" on a signed offer letter). Must not have liked the feeling of having his sack placed in a vice...

Mgr asked me to withdraw from GFT just as soon as I got new letter.

The prospect of that vice was rather unsettling, wasn't it?

Remember... Express management will NEVER engage in lying, obfuscation or misdirection to their employees, it is against their "code".... They are bound to be completely truthful at all times, without exception....