A Non-UPS Chairman ?

MORDNEDS

who the heck needs that kind of money? Secondly, If you haven't been an hourly for at least a year you don't get to be CEO...just MHO

Last edited:

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
SO,

You made my point ----It Worked --Respectfully I do not believe any Division Mgrs, Business Mgrs, On car Supervisors or Part -Time Supervisors are under consideration at this moment. Or any "Group"

I firmly believe when the "smoke" goes up the chimney --we will have the first Black CEO for UPS.:happy-very:

I do not speak "Atlanta" I worked in many , many States and Numerous Countries ---Operations Mainly ---never "played" in Atlanta.

Myron has demonstrated strong Leadership skills over many years ---and as NATIONAL OPERATIONS Manager --made the Re-structuring work .:wink2:

The smoke went up and the result was the selection of an individual that had the right to live in a palace in his previous position but instead chose to live humbly in a small apartment. That's the type of leader I want to see at ups, a servant-leader.

TxRoadDawg

Myron would be the first Black CEO for UPS.

Major restructuring of Districts and Regions saved big money and Myron was the guy that had to make it work.

Who on the Board or Management committee is less qualified than Scott ??

Come on --get real --We have a Commumnity Organizer as President of the United States---Any UPS management person that is District Manager level or higher with at least 25 years of UPS experience ---would be more than qualified to run a Company.:happy-very:

Really lmao how much skill does it take to tell someone heres your new job, quit retire or get busy at it or no mipp for yu :)

island1fox

There is no special skill involved in cutting staffing. What new ideas does he have outside of the same ol' on time network?

SO,

I see no point in a senseless argument.

If more people were able to accomplish more with less support we would be better off.

Government continues to add cost, programs and people while the country goes down the tubes.

On the other-with UPS -- with reductions in Staff and major cost reductions --Service improves ,cost per piece goes down , revenue and revenue per pc go up --wala --more profit --Healthy and secure Company for employees-- while shareowners get rewarded.

In poor economy --Stock is in the 85$ range --not too shabby !!!

National operations mger --right time -right place -or not --plays a significant role.

While your group can be proud of their contribution and success --MYRON -had responsability for ALL GROUPS --including yours. Many of the Cost savings --fell on Myrons shoulders --to do better with 17 districts --rather than 52 or with 3 regions --rather than nine or ten . Big cuts --big savings --better results !!:peaceful:

A very old but true saying --"How can you argue with success "

If the restructuring would have failed --Myron would have been put out to pasture !!

UnconTROLLed

perfection
A very old but true saying --"How can you argue with success
If that's the case, why are there so many disgruntled management personnel, who argue "success" every day? (you can read it here..) I bet the ones forced out or leaving, at least in some cases, didn't find UPS to be too comfy and secure.

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
SO,

If more people were able to accomplish more with less support we would be better off.

Government continues to add cost, programs and people while the country goes down the tubes.

On the other-with UPS -- with reductions in Staff and major cost reductions --Service improves ,cost per piece goes down , revenue and revenue per pc go up --wala --more profit --Healthy and secure Company for employees-- while shareowners get rewarded.

National operations mger --right time -right place -or not --plays a significant role.

While your group can be proud of their contribution and success --MYRON -had responsability for ALL GROUPS --including yours. Many of the Cost savings --fell on Myrons shoulders --to do better with 17 districts --rather than 52 or with 3 regions --rather than nine or ten . Big cuts --big savings --better results !!:peaceful:

If the restructuring would have failed --Myron would have been put out to pasture !!

#1: Why do you act so condescending?
#2: The government thing is a straw man argument. I didn't see anyone recommend that we act like them.
#3: They didn't paint that rosy picture when they explained the 70% MIP factor.
#4: Almost all stocks are going up. You could build a portfolio with a newspaper and a dart and get the same 12 month return.
#5: Who was put out to pasture on the TNT deal?

I don't even know why I'm responding because I don't even care who the next CEO will be. I think it's the condescending tone that keeps me going.

TxRoadDawg

SO,

I got 20 bucks says its harder to get a route added at the end of a sort than it is to cut a division and stick those centers in new divisions.

ActionJaxson

You know back in 1907 this guy named Jim Casey thought to himself, "you know what"? If I make my managers part owners and share the wealth I can grow this business, it would be as if I were there in all the distribution centers, offices, etc ...It worked ! We bought into that philosophy and therefore we sacrificed and we took on the challenges. We made damn sure service to our customers was fulfilled. We had prosperity and growth for "all our partners"..... what other company you know would give a recent grad a partnership and the capabilities to grow within the company? The partnership in itself was enough for many of us to give a lifelong commitment. To those of you that did, I will always be proud to say - I salute you PARTNER ! For greed was never in the equation for the career we chose.

Change is good: UPS has been known to change as our customers needs has changed but one thing remained a constant, our commitment to service.

island1fox

If that's the case, why are there so many disgruntled management personnel, who argue "success" every day? (you can read it here..) I bet the ones forced out or leaving, at least in some cases, didn't find UPS to be too comfy and secure.

Sleeve,

Have heard the complaints for over 40 years ---as you also read on Browncafe Hourlies are just as vocal--for some people complaining is just part of their lives !!

Besides we are talking facts here --FACT 85 DOLLARS ---COMPLAINTS ???

island1fox

#1: Why do you act so condescending?
#2: The government thing is a straw man argument. I didn't see anyone recommend that we act like them.
#3: They didn't paint that rosy picture when they explained the 70% MIP factor.
#4: Almost all stocks are going up. You could build a portfolio with a newspaper and a dart and get the same 12 month return.
#5: Who was put out to pasture on the TNT deal?

I don't even know why I'm responding because I don't even care who the next CEO will be. I think it's the condescending tone that keeps me going.

so,

Sorry if facts "disturb" you.

As far as your posts continuing --what ever floats your boat !!!????

island1fox

I got 20 bucks says its harder to get a route added at the end of a sort than it is to cut a division and stick those centers in new divisions.

texd,

???? opinions are like -------- everyone has one !!
This thread is about who the next CEO will be --cutting in a route or removing a route that most if not all part time supervisors are capable of --is not a qualification .???????

TxRoadDawg

Sleeve,

Have heard the complaints for over 40 years ---as you also read on Browncafe Hourlies are just as vocal--for some people complaining is just part of their lives !!

Besides we are talking facts here --FACT 85 DOLLARS ---COMPLAINTS ???
85 dollars is nice, but look at the underlying dynamics of why its 85 dollars. UPS made money last year no doubt, mainly from increased 'efficiency' ( jacking up the pph 20% without any infrastructure investment), but it also rode the economy. this market is not in a bull mode because the economy is booming. its going up because nothing else is offering any rate of return unless you prefer to gamble in commodities. Savings, cd's, bonds, and gold are either stagnant or retreating so money keeps pouring in. UPS is merely riding the tide of that surge.
I'm not complaining by the way, merely pointing out that a side by side graph of UPS and the Dow clearly shows we are not out performing the market by any means. Also a 102/1 price to earning ratio is extremely unsustainable for any period of time. The phrase irrational exuberance comes to mind :)

island1fox

This is way way off TOPIC !!!!

Who will be next CEO --Outside -Inside --and if any present Management committee member would qualify for the job --pretty simple.

TxRoadDawg

Every topic strays far off course lmao. if its an insider it will be the one most politically connected, NOT the best qualified. fyi i mean internal politics. outsider they NEED someone with a clue how to do mergers and integration since that's the only real source of growth left for us. I just hope the next sob that gets it actually KNOWS what its like to load 4 cars in 20 degree weather for minimum wage while getting harassed about misloads and methods all night

island1fox

:happy-very:Sure UPS should not insist on proper or safe methods and who cares what packages goes in what cars ???

The Management person that has done the job , understands the job , can lead, motivate, communicate, delegate, negotiate ,unite,train,hold accountable self and others and has a plan and vision that can lead UPS into the future with expanding Global leadership should be the next CEO. Had I.E. B.D. and Finance --Time to go back to an Operator that climbed all the steps in the ladder --except the top RUNG !!!!

Many , many present Management have those qualifications --- a few even non American that have been leaders for UPS in many different countries---- Domestic and International experience .

worldwide

Up to now, the by-laws of UPS have reserved the position of "Chairman of the Board" (of Directors) for the Chief Executive Officer of the company. In essence the Leader of the organization had to be a "UPS" employee.

Well I'm here to tell you that that has changed ~ Here is a little hidden gem in the SEC Form 8K filed after the last board of Directors meeting.
"On February 14, 2013, the Board of Directors (the “Board”), acting upon the recommendation of the Nominating and Corporate Governance Committee of the Board (the “Committee”), approved the amendment and restatement of the Company’s Amended and Restated Bylaws (the “Bylaws”). The Bylaws were amended to increase the Board’s future flexibility when it periodically evaluates the Board’s leadership structure by: (1) deleting the presumption in Article V, Section 7 that the Chairman of the Board “shall be the chief executive officer of the Corporation;"
http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1090727/000110465913011826/a13-5287_18k.htm

In other words, the board is no longer obligated to make the CEO the Chairman. The plate has been set for the outside Chairman (Its not as if D Scott Davis was not enough of an outsider)

This is the final shovel of dirt that buried the "Partnership".:angry:

The BOD has always been made up of people outside of UPS - that's the whole point - to have views from other business leaders from outside of UPS. The only active UPS person on the BOD has traditionally been the CEO of the company. You are making an assumption that if the the Chairman of BOD is someone from outside UPS, that person must be the CEO of the company which is not neccasarily true. I have not seen anything in the bylaws that states the Chairman of the BOD must always be the CEO of the company. If that is somewhere in the bylaws and I missed it, my apologies.

The true leaders of the company that set the direction and tone of UPS are the management committe which are all UPS employees. The CEO of the UPS has always come from the management committe and the change you referenced does not mean that should change.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
The BOD has always been made up of people outside of UPS - that's the whole point - to have views from other business leaders from outside of UPS. The only active UPS person on the BOD has traditionally been the CEO of the company. You are making an assumption that if the the Chairman of BOD is someone from outside UPS, that person must be the CEO of the company which is not neccasarily true. I have not seen anything in the bylaws that states the Chairman of the BOD must always be the CEO of the company. If that is somewhere in the bylaws and I missed it, my apologies.

The true leaders of the company that set the direction and tone of UPS are the management committe which are all UPS employees. The CEO of the UPS has always come from the management committe and the change you referenced does not mean that should change.

Actually, the Chairman of the Board was the CEO as Scott Davis is now.
The changes do not say the Chairman will not be the current UPS CEO but it does allow for that option.
I never knew this was in the Bylaws but I knew the Chairman of the Board was always the current CEO.

j13501

The BOD has always been made up of people outside of UPS - that's the whole point - to have views from other business leaders from outside of UPS. The only active UPS person on the BOD has traditionally been the CEO of the company.

I think you're mistaken. Yes, we've always had outside directors on the board, but the facts are that traditionally we've had a majority of directors also be UPS management committee employees. I believe this is what kept our company's traditions and values intact. Think about all the UPS people on the board when we went public - Jim Kelly, John Alden, Oz Nelson, Lea Sopata, Cal Darden, Mike Eskew and perhaps one or two more. The point is that in those days, the UPS'ers on the board ran the company, but also made sure that we stayed true to the vision of Jim Casey
Today's board is made up of all outsiders except Scott Davis and Mike Eskew. They don't care about UPS employees and they don't care about Jim Casey's company. All the care about is increasing the stock price.
Now I think that's a great thing, but I believe it's possible to do both. Improve profitability and take care of the people. It's unfortunate that it will never be the same company again.

But I guess if we have to blame anyone, we should blame Enron. They're the company that had such a trememdous meltdown- as a result, Sarbanes-Oxley was passed and the laws regarding corporate governance changed. After that, the makeup of our board of directors changed to what we have now. Who knew?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I think you're mistaken. Yes, we've always had outside directors on the board, but the facts are that traditionally we've had a majority of directors also be UPS management committee employees. I believe this is what kept our company's traditions and values intact. Think about all the UPS people on the board when we went public - Jim Kelly, John Alden, Oz Nelson, Lea Sopata, Cal Darden, Mike Eskew and perhaps one or two more. The point is that in those days, the UPS'ers on the board ran the company, but also made sure that we stayed true to the vision of Jim Casey
Today's board is made up of all outsiders except Scott Davis and Mike Eskew. They don't care about UPS employees and they don't care about Jim Casey's company. All the care about is increasing the stock price.
Now I think that's a great thing, but I believe it's possible to do both. Improve profitability and take care of the people. It's unfortunate that it will never be the same company again.

But I guess if we have to blame anyone, we should blame Enron. They're the company that had such a trememdous meltdown- as a result, Sarbanes-Oxley was passed and the laws regarding corporate governance changed. After that, the makeup of our board of directors changed to what we have now. Who knew?

I can't remember any active UPS employee being on the Board of Directors in the last 30 years except the CEO and the previous CEO (inactive of course).