a question about being "questioned"

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Tie

There are many risks at UPS. One very large one is for hourly people when they are the subject of a fishing trip by management or LP.

Like I said, dont lie. Yes or no answers. If more than yes or no, keep it to the point, dont ramble, the shorter the answer the better.

While you think of it as witholding evidence, I did not mean to infer that with my post. IF they ask a pointed question, give them the pointed answer. If they ask a very open ended question, ask for clarification to the question.

I figure if you have questions about something, you ought to come clean with us as to what you want. Why play games?
We are all adults at work, why treat us like children? You want proper answers, then ask the proper questions. Like I say, why play games?

In this case, ask about the damage to the truck. Did you do it, or do you know how the damage to the truck occured. Simple answer, yes, I hit a tree limb. Period. Nothing more.

But also as has been mentioned, the shop steward has a right to know what the conversation is about, and should have time to talk to the hourly about the situation.

d

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I just thought I would bump this one up.

Tie, sir. Why play games when you call employees into the office by going fishing. Why not just take care of business in a business like manner? Why is it that so many sup's like to play the games, but yet as you stated, if the employee beats around the bush, you would fire them instead of just suspending them?

d

ol'browneye

I totally agree with dannyboy-don't offer anymore info than they ask. I had to give a deposition in my work comp case against UPS. It was me, my lawyer, the Liberty Mutual lawyer, and a stenographer. My lawyer instructed me to answer all questions as honestly as possible but don't elaborate . If he asked an open ended question I was to reply "Please be more specific" or "I don't understand". I offered no more info than was needed to answer the question. It was up to him to ask the right questions to get the info he wanted. He knew what he was doing as he didn't ask too many yes or no questions...but I won the case!

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I have been in many court hearings on many different issues. The witnesses that make the biggest impact are those that are brief in their answers, dont elaborate on things that they have no knowledge on, and then get off the stand. In most cases, they are the ones that are more believable and the weight of their testimony usually is given much greater weight than that of the rambler.

d

feeder53

ADKtrails
In my original post I said nothing about elaborating on the issue, just an answer to their question.....If I am guilty, I will turn myself in.....If I am not I have nothing to hide.

LKLND3380

have any of you been called into the and questioned or "interrogated" about something you did, but dont have any idea about it, or wasnt aware you did anything wrong...how do you handle these types of situations? We have folks who go in many times with situations that if I was a manager I would fire them, but seem to get their jobs back...what are the reasons that the union has such a good track record in these situations? There was driver that totally SMASHED in the front top of the truck, but said he didnt know how it happen, it was something that the preload did not do. He was fired, but guess who ends up walking back to work a month later...amazing, how does this kind of thing happen???

Maybe the Car Wash?

I know in the preload we have some people moving package cars around because of routes being cut, etc...

Kinda hard to say who did what unless the driver is with the car 24/7...

LKLND3380

My suggestion is dont volunteer information. Keep your answers to two words, yes and no, and only those if you really have to. Anything else is a problem later on.

Then there is the issue of representation in your meeting. Take them with you. You do have that right, and in the vast majority of the cases, management will already have them there, or tell you to get them for the meeting. But even in those cases, yes and no only to direct questions.

If they are fishing and ask open ended questions, tell them you dont understand what they are asking, be more specific. Never ever ever volunteer information that is not specifically asked for.

You do realise that many times when this happens, they are just fishing for information they can use, right? So why give it to them? Make them get the information on their own.

d

AND DON'T SIGN ANYTHING

LKLND3380

Admit nothing.
Deny everything.
Create counter accusations.
:funny:

One guy on my belt was written up for loading a Haz Mat on a shelf. He filed a grievence for harrassment saying he came back from break to find the p/t Belt Supe and the Safety Supe in his truck with the package and claimed he did not load or bring the package into the truck.

browniehound

Me no hablo ingles. lol.

Looks like you can't spell either Haz, LOL. Sorry, I couldn't resist! :happy2: I don't speak spanish (so forgive me if I'm wrong) but I believe nobody "hablo ingles". I think the word you're looking for begins with an "e" and not "i", but this is just a guess and I could be 100% incorrect:whiteflag:

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Brownie

I figure learning how to spell in the main language is a real accomplishment these days. :wink2:

I always heard it was habla instead of hablo

d

Dutch Dawg

A life lesson I've tried to install in my offspring while watching 'THE FIRST 48' is interrogation often goes on for great length with the subject being repeatedly told they are lying by the interrogator, only to have the interrogation end with charges by the one answer the interrogator is seeking. A cautious rule of thumb when dealing with interrogation is the truth isn't always sought.

tieguy

Banned
I just thought I would bump this one up.

Tie, sir. Why play games when you call employees into the office by going fishing. Why not just take care of business in a business like manner? Why is it that so many sup's like to play the games, but yet as you stated, if the employee beats around the bush, you would fire them instead of just suspending them?

d

Ahh danialsan it is not for me to explain how the mind works in all my management brothers.:happy-very:

Realistically the road to integrity is straight and narrow with many side streets. Once you go down one of those side streets you risk getting lost.

if you withhold information then my momma always told me you are lying. No ifs and or no buts.

Not offering self incriminating information is withholding.
Not offering self inciminating information because the boss did not ask the right question is a little more deliberate method of withholding.
if you feel comfortable playing those games then do so. But realistically you could turn what would have been a warning letter or suspension into a discharge for dishonesty when you travel down that side street.

tieguy

Banned
One guy on my belt was written up for loading a Haz Mat on a shelf. He filed a grievence for harrassment saying he came back from break to find the p/t Belt Supe and the Safety Supe in his truck with the package and claimed he did not load or bring the package into the truck.

did the same sup write him up? Why would the safety sup be loading the guys car. Our drivers are getting loaded up with misloads / misroutes every day and there ain't a preloader around who admits to making the mistake. In fact reading these threads its usually some supervisor loading the car.

Thats the biggest mistake with pas. We should have the car loaders scanning the packages when they load them up to eliminate all the not me BS.

deezilfuelonly

Ahh danialsan it is not for me to explain how the mind works in all my management brothers.:happy-very:

Realistically the road to integrity is straight and narrow with many side streets. Once you go down one of those side streets you risk getting lost.

if you withhold information then my momma always told me you are lying. No ifs and or no buts.

Not offering self incriminating information is withholding.
Not offering self inciminating information because the boss did not ask the right question is a little more deliberate method of withholding.
if you feel comfortable playing those games then do so. But realistically you could turn what would have been a warning letter or suspension into a discharge for dishonesty when you travel down that side street.
You've got to be kidding me. If i'm not mistaken when you are about to be arrested for something you have been presumed to have done you are read your rights which include the right to remain silent among others. Also is the assumption that you are innocent until proven guilty. Once again UPS management philosophy that you are guilty until you prove your innocence shows how little they value their own concept of integrity. UPs thinks they can and will get away with whatever violations of your rights that you let them. Don't answer their questions about anything discipline related without a shop steward or tell them to scedule an appointment with you and your attorney.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Tie ole buddy,

Interesting take on this issue. So I am assuming that you are requiring more integrity out of the hourly being questioned than the management team that is asking? After all, that is basically what you are saying.

Please let me clarify this for you.

If you want to know about something, ask. If you dont ask, then why should I volunteer information you do not seek? After all, is that not the purpose of the english language? Communication skills?

So why is it that the union employee is held to a higher standard than management?

If the question to me is "there is some serious damage to 116308. Know anything about it?" If I do, the answer is yes, if not, no. IF they ask, "how did it happen?", then you tell them. But why offer any more information than what was asked for.

Sorry, if you dont have the proper language skills to properly ask for the information you seek, then why punish the person for not responding the way you want?

d

705red

Browncafe Steward
if you withhold information then my momma always told me

Tie I was not aware that you had a mother. i thought that you were created by ups management through a test tube. In other words I have believed you to be management offspring with no common sense of right or wrong.

How could this be if you truly had a mother?

deezilfuelonly

did the same sup write him up? Why would the safety sup be loading the guys car. Our drivers are getting loaded up with misloads / misroutes every day and there ain't a preloader around who admits to making the mistake. In fact reading these threads its usually some supervisor loading the car.

Thats the biggest mistake with pas. We should have the car loaders scanning the packages when they load them up to eliminate all the not me BS.
When pas/edd was introduced in our bldg we were told by some tie that there would be no more misloads, our loads would be stop for stop and they were taking all the thinking out of the preload job. You are reaping what you sowed...coulda..shoulda...woulda....!

LKLND3380

There was no proof the preloader loaded or touched the package. There was proof that the P/T Supe and Safety Supe were in the truck during break without the preloader or Union Steward around.

As far as misloads in you package car - Tempers flair and sometime preloaders will toss a package into a neighbors car or frisbee an envelope.
PULL YOUR WORK:angry: