a question about being "questioned"

Mike Hawk

I hate people that don't pull their weight, a new guy is understandable but when you have been there for a year and still haven't mastered looking at the boxes on the belt I really find it hard to have any respect for those people. I had a guy working ahead of me once who would run his mouth all day rather than pull his work. He had been on the preload for 2 years so there was no excuse for the amount of stuff he missed, especially since he loaded 3 trucks. He was a real :censored2: bag, tried to get me fired for "violence" because I slid a box up to his work area on the floor and it hit his foot as he came out of the truck. Whenever I would tell him to pull his work he would get all pissey and flip my packages upside down for awhile. One day I got tired of this and just put all the packages he missed under the belt at the back of my work area, took up about 10 feet of under the belt space. He wasn't real happy when I told him at the end of the sort, if you want to humiliate a lazy preloader this is the way to go.

feeder53

ADKtrails
Yes, Understood, I would think that if they are fishing and I did not do anything, I would have no more info to give. It would be a short interview.

LKLND3380

did the same sup write him up? Why would the safety sup be loading the guys car. Our drivers are getting loaded up with misloads / misroutes every day and there ain't a preloader around who admits to making the mistake. In fact reading these threads its usually some supervisor loading the car.

Thats the biggest mistake with pas. We should have the car loaders scanning the packages when they load them up to eliminate all the not me BS.

The safety Supe and the belt Supe were in there taking photos rummaging around... The fact was no hourlies were present and neither was a Steward. It was during break...

It seems odd that they would know where and when to go with a camera when no one was looking...

The preloader for thise cars walked in on them and said... You pulled the papers for that hazmat.?. They told him we found this haz mat loaded and the preloader said no you didn't, I don't have any haz mats on my cars today.

HazMatMan

Looks like you can't spell either Haz, LOL. Sorry, I couldn't resist! :happy2: I don't speak spanish (so forgive me if I'm wrong) but I believe nobody "hablo ingles". I think the word you're looking for begins with an "e" and not "i", but this is just a guess and I could be 100% incorrect:whiteflag:

Brownie

I figure learning how to spell in the main language is a real accomplishment these days. :wink2:

I always heard it was habla instead of hablo

d
That's pretty lame.

X

XUPS

I could tell you a story about UPS interrogation teqniques that kind of blew me away.

I used to work for UPS in a european country. I was with UPS for 5 years and one morning
right before i was about to board my truck a person totally unfamiliar to me walked up to
me and said "I talked to your supervisor and he gave me clearence to talk to you."

He also spoke English, he wore a suit and had a UPS badge. He was polite and he never
said what it was about. So i followed him up to a conference room and we sat down (I still had no idea what it was about)

Then he started talking about packages that had been stolen. He also stated that the reason
i was there was that in earlier interrogations he have had these people had point me out
(amongst others) to be most likely to steal a package.

Im pretty sure he checked it allready but i was not even driving the route in question the day that the packages had dissapeared. That would have solved it quickly instead he went
on some sort of crusade of questions that made me really uneasy and made me feel like a criminal.

Here are some of the types of questions he asked.

* What would be the best way to steal a packade
* Who of your work mates are most likely to steal a package
* Are you happy at UPS
* If i was to get a bank statement of your account would i see any large purchases lately
(This was 1 week after i bought my house, duh)
* We found the empty boxes, if we took your fingerprints would we find them on the empty boxes. (well yes you would since the drivers did all the sorting themselves, the packages passes all trucks on a conveyer belt and you manually push them) You would probably find 50% of the drivers prints on that package
* Then he asked me about individual persons if they had said something when we talked during our lunch breaks etc.

This was probably the most insulting thing i experienced. I never stole anything in my life
and i am very honest. Then i was just send back to work and never heard anything again

They found out later that it was a subcontractor who stole the stuff.

Did i get a "Sorry for thinking you were a filthy theaf".... NO! nothing..

rod

Retired 22 years
Most Loss Prevention people think they are related to Columbo or Sgt Joe Friday. We had a case where some clothes were missing from a certain fancy Botiques deliveries. Part of the interagation was to have the preloaders come into the office one at a time and stick their hand into a hole in a box and quess what was inside it. They would then watch the reaction on their faces as they felt it was clothes. By jove Watson- I think we got them. On second thought it turned out to be one of the botiques employees doing the stealing. In the end UPS never got an apolige from the botique nor did the preloaders get one from UPS. And the driver on the route refused to deliver any box that had been retaped to that store for a long time. Management had to complete those deliveries:whiteflag:.

tieguy

Banned
You've got to be kidding me. If i'm not mistaken when you are about to be arrested for something you have been presumed to have done you are read your rights which include the right to remain silent among others. Also is the assumption that you are innocent until proven guilty.

generally one should try to avoid getting into scrapes with the law so they don't face the situation you describe. Your example is apples compared to the oranges we were discussing. But let me use it anyway. In this scenario you are facing jail for your crimes. However if you withhold information from the law they could hang you for dishonesty. You have to decide how evasive you can be before you cross the line into dishonesty.

tieguy

Banned
The safety Supe and the belt Supe were in there taking photos rummaging around... The fact was no hourlies were present and neither was a Steward. It was during break...

It seems odd that they would know where and when to go with a camera when no one was looking...

The preloader for thise cars walked in on them and said... You pulled the papers for that hazmat.?. They told him we found this haz mat loaded and the preloader said no you didn't, I don't have any haz mats on my cars today.

Again my point lklnd. there is not a single preloader anywhere loading misloads. All misloads are being loaded by supervisors and drivers.:happy-very: