a question about dog bites

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Before I go in to work in the am to be berated once again.
I had an injury report filed which I did not file on a dog bite that did not happen.
I pulled up to a residence, tooted my barbie horn, and the woman was outside with a dog. I asked if it was tied. She said yes. I started to walk to her, because she made no attempt to meet me halfway. Just getting dark.
As I approached her a large dog, 100 pds at least ran towards me from behind the house. I turned and ran, slammed the door shut, he bounced off, she came out, I thanked her for being an idiot, she said, aww he wouldnt bite.
I only called it in to cma. In case she said I was rude, hurt her dog, etc. I twisted my knee when I jumped in the stepwell, and turned to shut the door. I felt it would be fine, but just in case.......
I never missed a minute, never dumped the load, only ran .56 over with all the incessant diad msgs I started getting.
I was told to show up 15 min early the next day for an interview with the dm.
It didnt happen, I got a ridealong, and insisted on being paid, as I dont show up early for no reason.
Today as I was leaving, I got called in the office, no union rep available, waited til they left to call me in. Took a driver, they asked him to leave. Its me a dm on phone a center manager and sup in office, hardly fair.
I was told I was wrong I should have not ran to my truck, I could have fallen and got mauled. If you know your 5 keys to slips and falls, you would not have ran. You should have fought with your diad, your pkg ( an envelope) and put the owner between you and the dog, put something between you and the dog. I said I did, I threw my ass in the truck and put the truck door between me and the dog. Fight or flight, I knew I could make it I did.
the owner had no control or I would not have written this post or had this convo.
When asked what I would do differently, I said Ill pull up toot, and make them come to the truck or no1 dog. That is not acceptable.
I am considering very strongly a harrassment suit. Good idea, bad, not sure. But no guy behind a desk playing armchair quaterback on video replay is going to convince me I did a bad thing.
Did not get bit, called in an incident, the owner is at fault not me as there is a leash law.
And these dogs in this hood are guard dogs not pets.
so what does anyone think, if anything. Please reply. i feel I am being put in danger telling me to follow keys of safety, when sometimes common sense prevails.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Yeah, Kinda what I thought and did. Stand and fight or get to the truck. You would think they would tell me what a good job I did, avoiding what could have been a very bery bad incident. But nope I am the stupid one. Im contacting trainers and breeders to get their opinion.

bumped

If they tell you to back away from the dog slowly while making eye contact with the dog, make sure you tell them your not looking before stepping.

I would also tell the lady if her dog does ever bite you that you will file a police report and make sure that it will be put down.

TheKid

You need to make sure you have a steward with you. You can make them wait until a steward is available. They cannot 'force' someone on you. . . they usually grab one of 'their people' . . . wait for a steward and fight them.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
That was the problem< iran, I could not establish firm footing which is one of the keys....I cant establsih firm footing if Im knocked down either.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
You can't win. If you would have faced off with the dog and gotten bitten, they would be asking you why you didn't turn and run! I have NO respect for a dog that bites or an owner that allows such a dog to run wild. If it were me, the next time that dog is in the road he becomes a hairy pancake!

ymelord

Tell that dumb :censored2: sup of yours to go with you to that house and show you the methods that you should of used. sicm sicm sicm sicm

DS

Fenderbender
so what does anyone think, if anything. Please reply. i feel I am being put in danger telling me to follow keys of safety, when sometimes common sense prevails.

It freaks me out that such a small issue needs a center manager and a DM .I don't understand what the problem is.
You are fine the dog is fine,no one complained,what is the problem?
Beat the dog with the diad? Are they nuckin frutz?
Tooner the stories you tell about life as a ups driver in Youngstown OHIO
are way scarier that all the nightmare on elm street movies.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I deliver in a hood. Today I sent pics of every dog that was loose and not in 1.
Exactly what I said. If I had tried to fight it off and lost I could be injured for years. I got mauled once off the clock, I got my bicep ripped out hanging outside my arm. I was off two weeks unpaid, so maybe I am a little more leary.
I have dobermans, I am married to a man who worked with a breeder. he has taught me how to kill them. I didnt want to try that out. Nor did I want to try their approach. Im all done. No union rep, they had it planned. I was attacked from within. Dogs are the worst of my worries, I think.

rocket man

before i go in to work in the am to be berated once again.
I had an injury report filed which i did not file on a dog bite that did not happen.
I pulled up to a residence, tooted my barbie horn, and the woman was outside with a dog. I asked if it was tied. She said yes. I started to walk to her, because she made no attempt to meet me halfway. Just getting dark.
As i approached her a large dog, 100 pds at least ran towards me from behind the house. I turned and ran, slammed the door shut, he bounced off, she came out, i thanked her for being an idiot, she said, aww he wouldnt bite.
I only called it in to cma. In case she said i was rude, hurt her dog, etc. I twisted my knee when i jumped in the stepwell, and turned to shut the door. I felt it would be fine, but just in case.......
I never missed a minute, never dumped the load, only ran .56 over with all the incessant diad msgs i started getting.
I was told to show up 15 min early the next day for an interview with the dm.
It didnt happen, i got a ridealong, and insisted on being paid, as i dont show up early for no reason.
Today as i was leaving, i got called in the office, no union rep available, waited til they left to call me in. Took a driver, they asked him to leave. Its me a dm on phone a center manager and sup in office, hardly fair.
I was told i was wrong i should have not ran to my truck, i could have fallen and got mauled. If you know your 5 keys to slips and falls, you would not have ran. You should have fought with your diad, your pkg ( an envelope) and put the owner between you and the dog, put something between you and the dog. I said i did, i threw my ass in the truck and put the truck door between me and the dog. Fight or flight, i knew i could make it i did.
The owner had no control or i would not have written this post or had this convo.
When asked what i would do differently, i said ill pull up toot, and make them come to the truck or no1 dog. That is not acceptable.
I am considering very strongly a harrassment suit. Good idea, bad, not sure. But no guy behind a desk playing armchair quaterback on video replay is going to convince me i did a bad thing.
Did not get bit, called in an incident, the owner is at fault not me as there is a leash law.
And these dogs in this hood are guard dogs not pets.
So what does anyone think, if anything. Please reply. I feel i am being put in danger telling me to follow keys of safety, when sometimes common sense prevails.
ive been told dog bites hurt

scbbbc

I got chased last year by a rottweiler as a helper. It turned out i was in the wrong driveway:whiteflag: backing up helped much more cause i had a box for it to bite on. The neighbor was fine with there ripped package.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Tell that dumb :censored2: sup of yours to go with you to that house and show you the methods that you should of used. sicm sicm sicm sicm
i forgot that part. On my ride they made me re enact for pics. I said lets just go to the house, let the dogs out and I will take pics of you and what you do. Guess that didnt go over well.

Last edited:

ymelord

Just don't del to the house anymore they can't make you. Don't talk to any sup with out union rep, you have to sit there and listen, but you don't have to hear them, and never say anything.

Re-Raise

Some things I hate ..in no particular order..

dangerous dogs who are allowed to run loose, idiots who can't control their dogs, clowns who sit behind a desk who think they have all the answers to the chaos we face on a daily basis because of some stupid safety acronym.

satellitedriver

I was told I was wrong I should have not ran to my truck, I could have fallen and got mauled. If you know your 5 keys to slips and falls, you would not have ran.
How do you respond to stupid people saying stupid things.
Would it have been better procedure to get knocked down, then mauled?
One of the seeing habits is to find a safe path well ahead.
The path in front of you was not safe, so you took the path of least resistance.
The 5 keys to slips and falls is a poor match for the 42 teeth of a canine.
OK, by their logic, I stand my ground and fight with a box and a DIAD.
I am on the ground, bit and bleeding, and am losing the fight, so I pull out my pocket knife and kill the dog in front of the customer?
Dog attacks are a sore spot for me.
I was mauled by a neighbors dog at the age of 2yrs old and I still can smell his-(Blaze was his name)- breath as he was biting my face.
18yrs ago I was attacked by a German Shepard, while the owners looked on.
I hit him in the head so many times in the head with my fists that I knocked him out.
The owners said he had never attacked anyone before-(yeah,right)-
I would have a field day with your DM, center manager and Sup.
It is not a question of what you should have done, it is them questioning what you did.
Monday morning Quarterbacks are always a day late.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Thanks sat. I needed a voice of reason, and I knew I would find it here. Mostly from you.
I know how to kill a dog, I love dogs didnt want to go that route, didnt want to test their version. Just wanted to take myself out and I did.
I was once mauled by a dog who didnt bite, owner had no insurance and this person didnt as I was delivering one of those foreclosure papers they get almost daily.
I deliver where their dogs are their safety, they dont like to answer the door after dark, dont blame them.
some things are not understood, I think its time they do. I should not be delivering as a ups person or any other person at 730 pm, they think maybe I am the dea. But this woman was outside, clearly lied to me, clearly in my mind I did the right thing. I have searched the topic, and they all say dont run. I ran. So I dont know what legs I have other than fast ones, but Im done, dont deal with dogs, fire me.
With the stress I have suffered, over the yrs which I have a big fat file, In the end I will win, and after suffering a few yrs, I will retire, a rich old lady.
I also heard that the gas co has a thing they all wear on their waist, which has a sound so shrrill it stops a dog in its tracks. Since we deliver every day and not once a month, if the company cares so much about our safety, why dont we have those?