a question about dog bites

whiskers

I'm sorry to hear this happened to you. Being a driver's helper I am getting a small taste of what you drivers go through on a daily basis. A similar thing happened to me last week. I was jogging up to a house and a big boxer comes screaming out of their garage and I did the same as you FLIGHT! barely made it back into the truck and slammed the door. My driver tells me to never run or turn my back on a dog, but i did not have a diad or a package only a NDA letter. No time to think about methods in a situation like this, reacting only on instincts. As someone already stated in this thread, backing away slowly and looking before stepping at the same time is not possible. Seems like total BS that they told the driver that was going to be your witness to leave, as you are entitled to a steward or a designated alternate(I know im preaching to the choir).

I know a driver that has a hand held dog-deterrent thing that emits a high frequency noise like that belt you were talking about, and he says it works. I am really thinking about getting one myself.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I know a driver that has a hand held dog-deterrent thing that emits a high frequency noise like that belt you were talking about, and he says it works. I am really thinking about getting one myself.

I also have a hand-held device that rides on my belt and makes an extremely loud noise. It is guranteed to stop attacks by a dog, or even a bear or a mountain lion. It is made by Smith&Wesson, and is called a "357 Magnum."

soberups

Its me a dm on phone a center manager and sup in office, hardly fair.
I was told I was wrong I should have not ran to my truck, I could have fallen and got mauled. If you know your 5 keys to slips and falls, you would not have ran.

They were expressing an opinion about what you "should have" done.

They are perfectly entitled to have an opinion about what you should have done....just as you are perfectly entitled to not give a sh&t about what their opinion is.

Its not like they can discipline you for running away from an attacking dog. All they really can do... is to generate a few more reports, spew out a few more acronyms, and pay you $45 an hour on OT to come in early one morning and listen to their meaningless "opinions." You dont even have to pretend that you care. Easy money!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I wouldn't have reported it unless i couldn't continue to work the rest of my day but thats just me.

Suppose you woke up this morning and you couldn't work due to the injury--this is why we report all injuries.

Tooner, this is a tough call. While it is best to back away from the dog slowly, it is much easier said than done. I run pretty fast and would probably have done the same.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
first : NEVER EVER go in without a steward of your choosing. nothing good will ever come out of a meeting like that
Second: If they tell you something absurd as you were told:,LAUGH at them. dont fight,dont get mad,dont let them control you. Challenge them to A)tell you how to do it betterand B) if they keep up with the harassment tell them to issue you a warning letter so you can file on it and send it to the panel.
you will be surprised at how quickly the issue that was so bloody important goes up in smoke.

Dont sweat stupid crap like this.

soberups

If you cant make it back to the safety of the truck, and its a BIG dog, and you know you are gonna get bit, then your #1 priority at that point has to be to keep it away from your face and your neck and your balls (if you have them).

What you want to do is get into somewhat of a crouch to lower your center of gravity so that you dont get knocked over, and use your right forearm (if you are right-handed) as a shield in front of your face and neck. If you can get the dog to lock on to your forearm, you then bring your left arm behind its neck and pull back while simultaneously pushing forward with the arm that is in the dogs mouth. If you apply enough force, you can break the dogs neck. At the very least, you can force its head back at a painful angle and take away all of its leverage. If you arent strong enough to break its neck, use the thumb of your free hand to dig into its eye socket and pop its eyeball out. Repeat as necessary until the dog lets go or dies. Sounds brutal, but you gotta keep it away from your face and neck by any means necessary.

whiskers

I also have a hand-held device that rides on my belt and makes an extremely loud noise. It is guranteed to stop attacks by a dog, or even a bear or a mountain lion. It is made by Smith&Wesson, and is called a "357 Magnum."

I carry a S&W .40 in my vehicle when not going to work. I'm not sure what UPS' policy is on firearms, but I don't think that carrying while delivering is as practical in my state. We have laws making it illegal to carry a firearm in any church, government building, school, and other places. To avoid having to explain myself to a judge in a courtroom why I am shooting inside of city limits, I think I'll leave my gun far away from UPS and their package cars. To me the electronic "Dog Dazer" sounds like a better choice for dealing with dogs at work. Don't get me wrong, I would love to be able to carry a firearm instead, but as mentioned it's just not an option for me.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I have to admit, you had me for a minute. Well... like hours. I didnt sleep much last night, I read your post and
Im thinking tonight when I get home I am going to do a search and find me one of those doggie things, but why would it have the same name as a firearm? named the same thing by the same company? DUUUUHHH LOL, I finally got it. We are not even allowed to carry mace, although I did at one time carry a stun gun into the bad parts until I realized I would probably shock my ownself in an effort to shock something else......
I wouldn't have reported it unless i couldn't continue to work the rest of my day but thats just me.
I only called in and told them what happened, to cma, I only mentioned my kneee, they called it in. I figured it would be ok, but you never know how you will feel in the morning.....
Suppose you woke up this morning and you couldn't work due to the injury--this is why we report all injuries.
Exactly, see above. We dont always heal as fastly as we used to. After I got rear ended last spring, I thought I was fine. Until I got up the next day and could not move, and missed 7 weeks of work.
Tooner, this is a tough call. While it is best to back away from the dog slowly, it is much easier said than done. I run pretty fast and would probably have done the same.
I knew I could make it, I didnt think I could handle him. Had I been in an open field, yes I know I cannot outrun him, but I saw him instantly, and knew I could make it.
first : NEVER EVER go in without a steward of your choosing. nothing good will ever come out of a meeting like that.
The stewards were gone, I grabbed an hourly, they told him to go. This was not diciplinary. They said. It was I pay you 45 bucks and hour to beat you when I feel like it. They didnt say that, that is what I got from it.
Second: If they tell you something absurd as you were told:,LAUGH at them. dont fight,dont get mad,dont let them control you. Challenge them to A)tell you how to do it betterand B) if they keep up with the harassment tell them to issue you a warning letter so you can file on it and send it to the panel.
you will be surprised at how quickly the issue that was so bloody important goes up in smoke.

Dont sweat stupid crap like this.
I was so stressed, and still am. I am gullible, thats my defect.
next time a dog attacks you in front of owner, make it even more interesting and attack the owner!
Good point. I had another delivery tonight. I should have thrown it in the driveway. It was shipper release,
so I will be in the office again. I took it back told them rts it send a pcard, I dont care, not safe.
I thought about going to the door and reenacting, and doing it their way, but I have no balls. I could picture the diad with springs and diods sticking out, and me with 180 stitches having to go to taw and sitting in the office all day. And the level of stress I would then have a heart attack, so I just didnt.

(joking)
Not joking, I thought of it.

DorkHead

Before I go in to work in the am to be berated once again.
I had an injury report filed which I did not file on a dog bite that did not happen.
I pulled up to a residence, tooted my barbie horn, and the woman was outside with a dog. I asked if it was tied. She said yes. I started to walk to her, because she made no attempt to meet me halfway. Just getting dark.
As I approached her a large dog, 100 pds at least ran towards me from behind the house. I turned and ran, slammed the door shut, he bounced off, she came out, I thanked her for being an idiot, she said, aww he wouldnt bite.
I only called it in to cma. In case she said I was rude, hurt her dog, etc. I twisted my knee when I jumped in the stepwell, and turned to shut the door. I felt it would be fine, but just in case.......
I never missed a minute, never dumped the load, only ran .56 over with all the incessant diad msgs I started getting.
I was told to show up 15 min early the next day for an interview with the dm.
It didnt happen, I got a ridealong, and insisted on being paid, as I dont show up early for no reason.
Today as I was leaving, I got called in the office, no union rep available, waited til they left to call me in. Took a driver, they asked him to leave. Its me a dm on phone a center manager and sup in office, hardly fair.
I was told I was wrong I should have not ran to my truck, I could have fallen and got mauled. If you know your 5 keys to slips and falls, you would not have ran. You should have fought with your diad, your pkg ( an envelope) and put the owner between you and the dog, put something between you and the dog. I said I did, I threw my ass in the truck and put the truck door between me and the dog. Fight or flight, I knew I could make it I did.
the owner had no control or I would not have written this post or had this convo.
When asked what I would do differently, I said Ill pull up toot, and make them come to the truck or no1 dog. That is not acceptable.
I am considering very strongly a harrassment suit. Good idea, bad, not sure. But no guy behind a desk playing armchair quaterback on video replay is going to convince me I did a bad thing.
Did not get bit, called in an incident, the owner is at fault not me as there is a leash law.
And these dogs in this hood are guard dogs not pets.
so what does anyone think, if anything. Please reply. i feel I am being put in danger telling me to follow keys of safety, when sometimes common sense prevails.

After every question or comment that they made to you in the office your response should have been:
I refuse to answer any questions or make any comments without Union representation.

brown bomber

brown bomber
my last encounter w/ a dog ATTACK, resulted in a police report.......even though I never received a dog bite.............

I was making a delivery, and Mom was screaming.."Don't open the door...
Don't open the door"...........the punk kids opened the door (on purpose).......blew my knee out, trying to get away ......I'm quite certain that this event, contributed to my long term disability (knee replacement), and unplanned early retirement..........I'm still trying to get reimbursement for this incident

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I am so sorry to hear that brown bomber.
According to my management, you should not have tried to get away.
I am ok, knee is a little swollen and sore. I know it didnt help me to hurt my knee, but prefer that to being mauled.
They make it sound like it is a controlled attack. And in theory, it would work. In reality, it is best to get away, than face it if you can.
I also would bet my attackers household had no insurance. the last dog bite I had did not, but it was not at work. Which pays better.
so were you berated for trying to get away, or did you do the right thing?
I think you did the right thing.
Its a shame that the civilization we have now, even has dogs they cant handle. And we pay for it. I have 2 100 pound dobermans. And dogs can move so fast, and turn, and pirouette, and there is no way to know what move they will make next. I know when I am playing with mine and they get rough, they can knock me down.
We are suddenly animal experts.
instead of giving all the pcms, on handrails, acronyms, and bullschitt, since dog bites have come to be so prevalent, why dont they bring in dog experts, with a man in one of those suits, like they train the dea with, and show us some real solutions. Or invest in those things for our belts.
You should get big money, I hope you do! it has diminsihed your life!

satellitedriver

I forgot to mention one dog attack that happened to me.
I was delivering and fought off a dog and a telephone man was working on a junction box.
After I won the fight, he walked up to me and handed me a can of pepper spray. He told me it was almost empty, but maybe I could use it in the future.
One month later, I used it and it worked like a charm.
Stopped that dog in his tracks.
That was 20yrs ago and :censored2: me has always said to myself that one day I will buy a canister.
After reading this thread, I did some research and have decided to buy and carry this product.
Fox Labs Pepper Spray
Works on man, or beast.
This is not an endorsement for any specific product, just my opinion.

soberups

I was attacked by my uncles English Bulldog when I was 9 years old.

It locked onto my leg and wouldnt let go. It started shaking its head back and forth and my leg flailed around like a rag doll's. I wet my pants. My sister and little cousins were up on top of the couch screaming in fear while this dog kept tearing away at my leg. My aunt came in and started swatting it with a newspaper. It wouldnt let go. Then my uncle came in and started beating it in the head with the fireplace poker. Still wouldnt let go. Finally, he used the poker to break one of its teeth out so that he could insert the poker and use it as a pry bar to force the dogs jaws apart and get it off of me. My aunt got me into the bathroom and wrapped my leg in a towel to stop the bleeding while my uncle took the dog out into the back yard and shot it. I went to the hospital and got about 45 stitches in my leg, and had one heck of a story to tell my friends when I went back to school. Oddly enough, I never developed any sort of phobia about dogs, and to this day the bully breeds such as bulldogs, boxers and pit bulls are my favorites. I love dogs. One thing I have developed over the years is a pretty keen sense about whether or not a dog is aggressive, and in 24 yrs of delivering for UPS I have never yet been the victim of a dog bite although there have been a few close calls.

Indecisi0n

Now i know for the future if i ever have to run from a dog i explain it like this: "This dog started coming at me and i briskly walked to my truck....."