A question about the FedEx vs UPS drama

SmithBarney

Why would they fire anyone. Even with the econony, fedex hasnt consolidated many routes in this area, they go out empty daily and the driver takes a 2 hour lunch and they get back to the building by 4:30....they are still servicing the customer with high service, at least the express side of things...

Just had this conversation today with a coworker... he said his fear was that if the "union" came in to FedEx, we would see lay offs...

I Disagreed considering Yesterday(Friday) we had 3-4 drivers call off or sick. and our managers were practically in a panicked frenzy. Because of the commit times and service areas, I don't think FedEx Express would consider cutting hourly's you'll see more management reductions before you'll see hourly's substantially reduced.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Just had this conversation today with a coworker... he said his fear was that if the "union" came in to FedEx, we would see lay offs...

Why would this be, why do you think the ups brass wants this bill to pass, there will be thousand of jobs created over time. Fedex will have a higher cost per package and if the rates are the same now, or ups have a bit lower, and ups service is superior, who will the customer ship with now.

I Disagreed considering Yesterday(Friday) we had 3-4 drivers call off or sick. and our managers were practically in a panicked frenzy. Because of the commit times and service areas, I don't think FedEx Express would consider cutting hourly's you'll see more management reductions before you'll see hourly's substantially reduced.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Yes, we really want fedex out of business.
Consumer may suffer but a lot of pressure would be off of all UPS employees.

My only hesitancy in regards to my reply is that I'm not sure I want to agree with mungrin?!?!? :wink2:

oh really, I really dont think so. Ups would continue to do more with less .

M

Mike23

oh really, I really dont think so. Ups would continue to do more with less .

Ha! I remember reading in a reader's digest about the Canadian Army giving catchy phrases to their cut backs like, 'doing more with less'. An army guy said, 'yeah, our next one is going to be 'doing everything with nothing!'

It's not a matter of if Fedex is out of business would it benefit UPS, of course it would! The problem is the amount of ppl that would be out of work because of it. Look at what happened to DHL. I hate competition but I also don't want to see another drivers family on the street because the company goes under.

mungrin

Banned
Ha! I remember reading in a reader's digest about the Canadian Army giving catchy phrases to their cut backs like, 'doing more with less'. An army guy said, 'yeah, our next one is going to be 'doing everything with nothing!'

It's not a matter of if Fedex is out of business would it benefit UPS, of course it would! The problem is the amount of ppl that would be out of work because of it. Look at what happened to DHL. I hate competition but I also don't want to see another drivers family on the street because the company goes under.
Sorry but business is business.Its a cruel world.Survival of the fittest.Fedex is on its way out,too bad.

M

Mike23

Sorry but business is business.Its a cruel world.Survival of the fittest.Fedex is on its way out,too bad.

I don't think FedEx will ever go completely. They might downgrade but they'll always be a thorn in our sides.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I personally think that anyone who feels that passage of this bill will mean that FedEx will no longer be our competitor is shortsighted. This bill, if passed, will give FedEx employees the right to organize--it will not automatically organize them. I do think, as others have suggested, that you will see a change in their business model, with more work being shifted to the ICs, thereby reducing the Express employees to where they would basically be part time employees. Now, when a final determination is made by the courts as to the status of ICs, you will see a further shift of work from Express to Ground as the ICs will be considered employees and their business model will eventually mirror ours.

FedEx is not going anywhere. Their service and reliability (Express) rivals ours. There is much room for improvement on the Ground side but a shift in emphasis to the Ground side will bring about this improvement. They will have a unified sales force selling all of their products and will continue to give us a run for our money.

P

pickup

FedEx 3
UPS 0

Say what you want about Fedex but you gotta admit,they are clever.UPS is always dropping the ball it seams.
Not many people know this one for example.When the filmmakers of the Movies Cast Away were going to make thier movie,they originally approached UPS for the movie and UPS said no so they went to Fedex and Fedex knew it was risky but they saw that it could be a huge win for them in the end and great exposure all over the world.In the end the movie was a hit and very popular in China where it opened all kinds of avenues for Fedex in China and now Fedex has a huge presence in China now where UPS doesnt really exist there.Another missed opportunity where Fedex capitalized on.

Hey , we got something better :Next Day Air, which even though isn't approved by Ups , is sure to be associated with it. Sure to be a cult classic and will be viewed in a more postive light than castaway ever will be. pffffffffff!

hey this is easy, just choose my side of the debate, and make all facts fit into my viewpoint. Just had to turn off the current to my brain to make this post

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Yes, we really want fedex out of business.
Consumer may suffer but a lot of pressure would be off of all UPS employees.

My only hesitancy in regards to my reply is that I'm not sure I want to agree with mungrin?!?!? :wink2:

Hoaxter,

You're fairly rational...please consider this. What is the unofficial airline of the US Congress? The correct answer would be FedEx, and not for pkgs. Our executive jets are the top choice of politicians and Fred makes sure that wherever they want to go, FedEx takes them. The Senator or Congressperson only has to reimburse FedEx the cost of a first-class ticket and then they have carte blanche to go wherever they want. Don't you think FedEx keeps records of where these people go, and might it be possible that some destinations might be "embarassing"? And don't you think that Fred might be "reminding" some of these folks right now that he knows about that trip to see the girlfriend or someone else the public or media would love to know about?

There are at least 24 jets that I know of, and probably more...all at the disposal of politicians 24/7/365. That couldn't possibly have any influence on the way they vote on the RLA, could it?

Re-Raise

FedEx 3
UPS 0

Say what you want about Fedex but you gotta admit,they are clever.UPS is always dropping the ball it seams.
Not many people know this one for example.When the filmmakers of the Movies Cast Away were going to make thier movie,they originally approached UPS for the movie and UPS said no so they went to Fedex and Fedex knew it was risky but they saw that it could be a huge win for them in the end and great exposure all over the world.In the end the movie was a hit and very popular in China where it opened all kinds of avenues for Fedex in China and now Fedex has a huge presence in China now where UPS doesnt really exist there.Another missed opportunity where Fedex capitalized on.

Here we go again. Whenever I come to this site there always seems to be someone pretending to be someone else, in this case a FedEx employee I guess, who seems(correct spelling) to KNOW everything.

He just makes post after post of all this false information. I always think the same thing..

Here we go again BBAG

Tell me wise one how did a movie about a plane crash open all these avenues for FedEx in China.
I haven't seen movies featuring McDonalds and I hear they have them in China.

How did that happen?

UPSGUY72

FedEx 3
UPS 0

Ups doesn't make TV shows or Movies with the UPS brand in to protect the brand. That another thing UPS has above the competiton.

I know FedEx tries to come up with clever marketing stratigies because they can't provide the Quality of service that UPS does.

mungrin

Banned
Ups doesn't make TV shows or Movies with the UPS brand in to protect the brand. That another thing UPS has above the competiton.

I know FedEx tries to come up with clever marketing stratigies because they can't provide the Quality of service that UPS does.

yeah i know.They have to pay millions to get into movies and make people say are so great while we just sit back and let our work speak for itself.

Re-Raise

The whole point of all of this is FedEx is afraid their employees will unionize and they will have to pay them more. We are paid more than FedEx employees but our company remains profitable because we are more productive.

Is FedEx afraid to ask more of their employees or do they just believe them to be incapable of working as productively as UPS employees.

I for one am glad to work at a company that pays me more and might expect a little more in return. I can handle it, just show me the money.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
The whole point of all of this is FedEx is afraid their employees will unionize and they will have to pay them more. We are paid more than FedEx employees but our company remains profitable because we are more productive.

Is FedEx afraid to ask more of their employees or do they just believe them to be incapable of working as productively as UPS employees.

I for one am glad to work at a company that pays me more and might expect a little more in return. I can handle it, just show me the money.

Finally, someone who makes sense. Nobody at FedEx is expecting to equal your pay scale. It simply needs to become more equitable. It would be hard for FedEx to equal UPS productivity because they have chased so many of their higher quality workers away with Walmartesque policies. Better pay would give management the right to expect more and have no problem with that.

partykid

Hey fed ex guys in N.C. have A/C...Express that is, If they go union does that mean we can get A/C too????....LMAO jus kidding

Catatonic

Nine Lives
There are at least 24 jets that I know of, and probably more...all at the disposal of politicians 24/7/365. That couldn't possibly have any influence on the way they vote on the RLA, could it?

That's fairly common knowledge and that tactic could have reverse impact if Freddie tried it.

Of greater interest is the fact that Fred and McCann are butt buddies ... wait till that gets out! :surprised: