A question I dont know the answer to

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
As we were discussing the death of the promoter at the monster truck show, and the Fedex plane that went down, My wife asked if our pilots have chutes in case a plane goes down.

and I dont know that answer.

Any one know?

d

backinbrown

respect my authority
nice question

i guess mayby they would but airline pilots no

can you imagine bieng on a flight to vegas and you see the pilot walk by you with parrachute on

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I understand airline pilots, it gives them extra incentive to bring the plane back with everyone on it.

But packages are different.

I remember last year or two we had a plane burst into flames as they were landing, and it burning down on the runway.

It was fearful on the ground, cant imagine it at 30 thousand feet.

d

705red

Browncafe Steward
Danny i want to say yes. I have been out of ohare for over 10 years now, but i do recall seeing chutes when we would restock water, soda etc.

P

pickup

gee this brings up a lot of other interesting questions. Like, are the pilots told due to having "hot" loads to speed things up a little bit and pay lip service to safety but get it there on time? Do they have ride alongs? Do they have to follow procedures that are above and beyond that of normal airplane pilots. I am sure soberups(god bless him) will want to know if they have three point seatbelts and if so , why not him?

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Drew, yes i was.

You jump out of any of ours and your headed straight into the engine. Plus then you`d be charged with a roll away.
kinda like the ole saying, out of the frying pan and into the fire?

A roll away....no, being out of control.......Im sure some pointy headed sup somewhere would find the right terminology.

d

over9five

Staff member
....and do you know how much a parachute costs???? These are tough economic times, mister.

If you do your job according to the methods, you won't need a parachute.

over9five

Staff member
One more thing....

I almost fell off my chair when I saw Dannyboy had said this:

"A question I dont know the answer to"

LOL!

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
chutes are provided for all the CANS the pilots must fit them ,evac them and in a timely fashion. Then they may jump,but will be charged with the accident...

LastBest&Final

To Endeavor To Persevere
Parachutes on our airplanes are like fire extinguishers at UPS; we have them, but your not to use them because you haven't been trained to use them.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Well actually he said no, and several others have said yes.

I wonder if the ones that do are the contractors we hire, where as the ones that do not are actually UPS pilots and planes?

So drew would be right..........and wrong sorta......:wink2:

Im wondering if the ability to keep a 30 ton object from hitting a highly populated area might be one of the reasons?

d