A real shame

quocko

im in the dulless building as well and yeah he was a nice guy. our security guard told me she was talking to him that night and nothing seemed out of the ordinary. i didnt know he was a shop steward, he was one of the safety instructors though

UPSERNOJ

Very sad when they feel that killing yourself is the only way "out".

No one really knows what could push someone to do that...truly sad.

slantnosechevy

One of my resi-customer's 14 yr. old son hung himself in the garage one day after school. So happens his mom gets Qvc almost daily and I usually leave the multiples in the garage. On this day she got 1 small envelope and I just left it in the door. I later found out from a neighbor that the coroner figured the time of death was 3:30pm. I was there at 3:20pm. I think about that a lot. What if?

cajunboy

Rest in Peace. I was thinking there are many different nuances about upser's. I have mourned the loss of a coworker recently. I am thankful for one thing--these upser's that take thier own life. As senseless as these acts are individually we all have families and lives. It's not just UPS (if it is you really need a hobby). for others its different, but for me I am who I am through the grace of God. UPS can never take that from me, nor will I give it to them. Don't get me wrong its not my intention to be cold or heartless.
cajunboy

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
One of my resi-customer's 14 yr. old son hung himself in the garage one day after school. So happens his mom gets Qvc almost daily and I usually leave the multiples in the garage. On this day she got 1 small envelope and I just left it in the door. I later found out from a neighbor that the coroner figured the time of death was 3:30pm. I was there at 3:20pm. I think about that a lot. What if?
That is scary, what the hell would you have done?

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
We also had a tragic situation. One of the younger PC driver (just knew him by name) collapsed in his car and was found by a forklift driver who was just rounding a corner and found him lying on the ground.

This happened a month ago, and now we have been informed by his brother that the autopsy showed his veins were 80% clogged with cholesterol. He was slightly heavy and a very young 31 years old.

Cruel fate for someone just starting out.

things2auction

We have a driver commit suicide in our building a couple weeks ago.

The whole center has been a much more somber place since it took place. :(

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Then it's a combination of insanity, stupidity, and selfishness.

There is no circumstance or reason large enough to justify ending ones own life.

So what you are saying is you have no compassion with people that deal with insanity, which is something beyond their self-control and likely not their fault? (and likely also is associated stupidity and selfishness too , are also beyond their control)

Or no compassion with those that commit suicide due to possible severe adverse side-effects from prescription drugs?

etc etc. everything seems to be self-evident to you, gostillerz.

storm4

Prayers and God Speed!

The time has come for UPS to lighten up on the numbers and remember what is important before we reach the point of no return.

The body and mind can only take so much! Which one of us is a robot without a heart or feelings?

UPS is a "FAMILY" business. When we joined “the UPS family,” we made a commitment to the good of the family.

Public company or not, no one can prosper when the "FAMILY" is forgotten in lieu of $$$$$$ and the public image.

Let us all get back to caring for "OUR UPS FAMILY" and support each other along with our extended families and in-laws (consultants and global initiatives included). We will all rise together above the greed and turmoil in this world only if we work together and stop killing off our family members. Yes, the suicide of a member of our family is a direct result of greed where we have forgotten that we are human beings in need of family support. We are not robots!

When an infant is born with a terminal illness, we nurture them to be the best they can be. We do not torture them to the end and eliminate them. Each one of us contributes something to UPS. We shoot ourselves in the foot when we practice the business of eliminating family members that are the least favored. We should be working to strengthen the weak, not terminate them!

We need to stop and listen to the messages sent to us by those that have given their lives due to the serious mistakes that UPS is making. It is sad indeed that they needed to go to such extremes to get the company to open their eyes and see what is going on. My deepest sympathies go out to all that knew these individuals and to their families and friends. Let us remember that these are not strangers, but they our UPS family members. Their pain is indeed our pain.

We must all take time to remember them and to reach out to their family and embrace those left behind. We must all stop and think about our current coworkers and how we can help them with difficulties they are facing. Their problems are our problems (this includes you JLD; you too are a human member of the UPS family).

We must stop now and bind together for the greater good of the UPS Family before we are all pushed off as “the least favored son” one day, due to the greed of a few. Certainly we all wish to succeed and do well, but excessive greed has no place at UPS and those that foster it should look to other pastures.

UPS is a GREAT company and we have weathered many a storm. We will continue to succeed as a FAMILY. We must stand up and make it known that the course we need to follow is one that is for the survival and success of all in the UPS FAMILY and NOT for the success of the greedy wishing to kill off our weaker members. Even our weaker UPS family members are far better individuals than those who have fallen to follow the path of greed.

This company is built on solid ground and the dreams of individuals determined to make a difference, not by those determined to rule the world and kill off the weak. Have we forgotten the camps that UPS set up during the great depression to care for our UPS families (and their families) when there was no work or about the philanthropic organizations started to support UPSers that were helping those less fortunate in and out of the UPS Family? We have to remember our history and move to the future with the integrity of our ancestors.
This big ship has steered a bit off course in recent years and each of us must ask ourselves where we will be on judgment day. Together as family? Or, will we all be killed off one by one for the greed of a few? We must honor our fallen soldiers and heed their warnings.

IN GOD WE TRUST. May GOD Bless each and every member of the UPS Family - Past, Present, and Future!

gostillerz

So what you are saying is you have no compassion with people that deal with insanity, which is something beyond their self-control and likely not their fault? (and likely also is associated stupidity and selfishness too , are also beyond their control)

Or no compassion with those that commit suicide due to possible severe adverse side-effects from prescription drugs?

etc etc. everything seems to be self-evident to you, gostillerz.

Prescription drugs are a very different scenario.

So you're presuming they cannot control themselves almost to a disability, but then they can "control" themselves to act normal in front of their loved ones for a long period of time, then basically give up, write a long letter, and do it?

How many people did you know that committed suicide? I knew four. My father-in-law 2 months ago gassed himself in his garage.

Before you open your mouth and drop insults about why I feel the way I do on this subject, learn what you're speaking about first.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Prescription drugs are a very different scenario.

So you're presuming they cannot control themselves almost to a disability, but then they can "control" themselves to act normal in front of their loved ones for a long period of time, then basically give up, write a long letter, and do it?

How many people did you know that committed suicide? I knew four. My father-in-law 2 months ago gassed himself in his garage.

Before you open your mouth and drop insults about why I feel the way I do on this subject, learn what you're speaking about first.

Let us put it this way: two people I worked with in the past year have committed suicide. union hourlies. And also a coordinator around 4 years ago.

That is ONLY at UPS and I won't go into the others.

All circumstances are different, and that was my main reason for saying what I said. Some people are born with depression, some people are abused as children and spend their remaining life vying for attention including suicide/threats, some people have depression and take a drug TO PREVENT SUICIDE and it causes them to do it ( at least in part )

In some of these cases, it's not the person at fault, but their own heredity, neglectful/inappropriate upbringing, etc. You can actually blame families in some instances, the same ones you only will commiserate with, for someones suicide moreso than the person doing it. That is my reasoning.

gostillerz

Let us put it this way: two people I worked with in the past year have committed suicide. union hourlies. And also a coordinator around 4 years ago.

That is ONLY at UPS and I won't go into the others.

All circumstances are different, and that was my main reason for saying what I said. Some people are born with depression, some people are abused as children and spend their remaining life vying for attention including suicide/threats, some people have depression and take a drug TO PREVENT SUICIDE and it causes them to do it ( at least in part )

In some of these cases, it's not the person at fault, but their own heredity, neglectful/inappropriate upbringing, etc. You can actually blame families in some instances, the same ones you only will commiserate with, for someones suicide moreso than the person doing it. That is my reasoning.

The anti-depressants are huge on that part, but that's a different issue.

We are more in agreement than I thought however, how you said regarding the depression and the attention grabbing ones, they usually knew what they were doing and never considered what effect their actions would take.

My point is, why does someone who takes his own life deserve respect or pity? They took the easy way out, ignoring consequence.

Of course there are exceptions, but barring medical reasoning, they just plain punked out.