A recap of my first day with UPS!

Yeah i've only been working at ups for like 5 weeks now, its amazing how many people are already gone from my classroom. I remember this one chick in my class was always late and blamed it on the bus. The facilitator said that she'd be taking the same bus the next day. Amazing how great the buses ran that day.

brown4life?

Wow sorry to hear your training didn't go well. And Lay Offs are something I don't even want to think about right now.

Today was my second day, half of the class was between 10 and 50 minutes late. All were allowed to stay in class, and had different excuses.

Pretty interesting.

Couple hours of video's followed by some hands on instruction was on today's agenda, and then we got to work the trucks for about an hour before the day was over.

It showed very plainly some of these people are not cut out for this job as the same complainers were doing what they do best.

We MUST be hurting for people to let these people stay around.

All in all, great day. Glad I got to do some real work.
HOLY :censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2:!!!!! You got two days of training I got two minutes LOL Oh OK it was three min they walk me to the belt have the person that used to do the job stand there and tell me which packages went on what belt that was all there was maybe a couple videos on hazmat at the orientation the week prior to my start day..................but yes that was it not really that it mattered not to much to my job:wink2:

SFBayUPSer

Very interesting to hear everyone's training stories. Very weird that our training is EXTENSIVE compared to everyone else's. I am grateful though.

I would imagine UPS would be taking a risk of someone hurting themselves via lack of training. I guess that won't be my case. Day 3 arrives in 2 hours.... I'll keep everyone posted.

SFBayUPSer

4th day of training today! We wrapped up our textbooks & were told tomorrow we partner with a trainer and get to work a full shift! Should be AWESOME!

A recap, 1 of the chronic late ladies was fired today! She was LATE AGAIN! They just said, bye bye. Your fired. lol. Sweet justice.

Tomorrow will be the conclusion of my first week. I got my UPS hat I ordered from ebay today in the mail! Glad I get to represent when I go to work tomorrow!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
SFBay, we have all gone through what you are going through so it is not necessary to do a daily diary of your progress. JMHO

It's champscorner's fault - "Keep this thread going as it's interesting, for someone like me, to hear how your first days are going."

And it is sorta cute!

drewed

Shankman
like watching a baby take its first steps hoke?

on another note id say ixnay on the athay i think youd get a lot of BS for wearing UPS gear b4 you technically start id say wait till your seniority date to wear it

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Up here in Red Sox land, we have "pink hat" fans that are basically bandwagon and orientated towards women who know little to nothing about baseball but are fans because it's hip and fashionable.

You will soon be a UPS pink hat.

Flame away

LiL"Comet"

4th day of training today! We wrapped up our textbooks & were told tomorrow we partner with a trainer and get to work a full shift! Should be AWESOME!

A recap, 1 of the chronic late ladies was fired today! She was LATE AGAIN! They just said, bye bye. Your fired. lol. Sweet justice.

Tomorrow will be the conclusion of my first week. I got my UPS hat I ordered from ebay today in the mail! Glad I get to represent when I go to work tomorrow!

SFBay I really enjoy reading your post, you are very refreshing and enthusiactic which is wonderful new addition here at UPS.
After a while most get stale and negative towards their jobs, but especially right now we are all very fortunate to have jobs.

I have met so many new people (plus my own family members) in the past month that have lost theirs jobs and have no idea what to do or where to start looking for a new job because there is none here.

Keep up the good work and don't get soured with others attitudes sounds like you will make a great employee and UPS will be glad to have you..:wink2:

PAUPSER

I don’t understand where all this training is coming from? LOL When I was hired 5 years ago and its still the same today, I was told there’s a fender, unloaded and make sure the labels are up and even later when I was trained to load, I was told there are your trucks, match the PAS label with the truck number and match the PAS label with the original address label and loaded to sequence. I do come from a small hick town center in PA so I assuming things are different else where, ha

SFBayUPSer

Just from my experience, my hub has a full training staff consisting of like 5 people. A mix of FT and PT sups.

Ive really enjoyed my training, and appreciate that I GOT it. My main trainer did say when he started they just handed you a scanner and said labels up. So its good to hear they are constantly improving their standards.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
The way they teach you to load is horse crap. They almost exclusively have you load up against the tier behind it which is fine, but you almost always end up with tiers that collapse forward that way which is a bear to unload. I say make your face first, not to big, but big enough to accommodate the larger packages and backfill as you go up. Don't wait till the end to backfill. And make your backfill tight if you can. That's the way I learned to load and I wasn't trained how to either. I can consistently go all day in one trailer and not need to waste time waiting to get a new one. Easily 1400 in one trailer. 8,9, and 10 tiers all day long. You have great enthusiasm and you seem to take pride in your work so keep it up!