a self serving post

stoni24

So at 715 I clear out my board and find a mysterious extra box on my car. It's a target resi 2nd day air full of fisher price toys. The stop was not in edd cuz it was a add/cut that didnt get taken off my route. It's 8 miles away and I'm already 45 minutes from center. What would u do? My family is waiting.....I ran it cuz I'm the *****! Guess I'll have to explain why I broke trace and was .50 over Wednesday

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Ground and i wouldn't deliver it. Air I would. Although at my center the decision would be made based on if they thought the company would make money on the package or not.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

So at 715 I clear out my board and find a mysterious extra box on my car. It's a target resi 2nd day air full of fisher price toys. The stop was not in edd cuz it was a add/cut that didnt get taken off my route. It's 8 miles away and I'm already 45 minutes from center. What would u do? My family is waiting.....I ran it cuz I'm the *****! Guess I'll have to explain why I broke trace and was .50 over Wednesday

Thank you for doing the right thing, although I am puzzled that you didn't see the "extra box" until 715.

Ground and i wouldn't deliver it. Air I would. Although at my center the decision would be made based on if they thought the company would make money on the package or not.

Why would the service level matter to you? If it is a Christmas present you do whatever you can to get it delivered.

I had a Christmas present for a lawyer's office on my area. It was addressed to their former address so I sheeted as moved with the intention of reattempting at their new address, which is also on my area. I get there and they had already gone home. I grab my phone book and look up their home address, which is not on my area but is only a few miles away, and run it off. The consignee was very appreciative that I went the extra mile to make sure they received the bottle of wine.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Bottle of wine u say? Well didn't follow the methods very well there did we. Any adult signature required pack must be delivered to the original address only.

Also maybe I'm a grinch but come Christmas Eve if its a ground package I'm not jumping thru hoops for your package. U waited too late to order it or the other person waited to late to send it and u get what you pay for. Same reason all the post office stuff went to the post office yesterday. I got chewed by the post office lady it had to be here by 9 to go out today your 90 minutes late. Now this will sit for 2 days blah blah blah. I said well we don't start work til 9 so that was never even an option.

W

want to retire

7:15 in the morning? or is that 19:15?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Bottle of wine u say? Well didn't follow the methods very well there did we. Any adult signature required pack must be delivered to the original address only.

Did I say it was Adult Signature Required? It wasn't---it was 03---but even if it were I knew both the consignee and her husband and would simply sheet it using the address on the package.

Also maybe I'm a grinch but come Christmas Eve if its a ground package I'm not jumping thru hoops for your package. U waited too late to order it or the other person waited to late to send it and u get what you pay for. Same reason all the post office stuff went to the post office yesterday. I got chewed by the post office lady it had to be here by 9 to go out today your 90 minutes late. Now this will sit for 2 days blah blah blah. I said well we don't start work til 9 so that was never even an option.

We were instructed to deliver each and every Christmas package and to notify mgt if we had any misloads that would be too far to run off so that they could make arrangements for their delivery.

It's Peak---you have to go above and beyond.

pkgdriver

Maybe it was sent out in plenty of time and WE dropped the ball.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll

Did I say it was Adult Signature Required? It wasn't---it was 03---but even if it were I would have falsified company records and sheeted it at an address which is multiple miles away from the ACTUAL address, while still using the original address in the board.

It's ok for me, UpstateNYUPSer to do it because I think SO highly of myself.

We were instructed to deliver each and every Christmas package and to notify mgt if we had any misloads that would be too far to run off so that they could make arrangements for their delivery.

It's Peak---you have to go above and beyond.

It's Peak, I also have a family and my own business to take care of. I do NOT live and breathe this company, no matter what time of year it is I've got to look out for #1.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The package was a gift from one lawyer's office to another. Should it be the consignee's fault that the shipper did not know that they had moved their office? Should they be further penalized simply because they chose to close early on Christmas Eve to spend time with their family? It just so happened that the consignee was my lawyer for the closing on my condo and that both her old and new addresses are on my delivery area. Her home address was less than 2 miles away from the main road back to the center. It took me all of 5 minutes to reattempt the package to her home. There was no falsification involved as the package was sent 13, not A8. It was obviously a package meant to be a Christmas present and I did all that I could to get the package to the consignee. I did this with the approval and encouragement of my center team. The look on the consignee's face told me that I had done the right thing.

Now, if the consignee did not live so close to my delivery area, the outcome of this story would have been much different. I would have made the two attempts (original and new addresses) and then brought the package back to the center to let them deal with it. If they had then asked me to run it off I would have worked as directed.

UPSGUY72

You didn't find it till the end of the day ??? Did you used sheet as missed in the communication area of your board (#4) and send it to the center. Yesterday we had to go through are entire car by 1:00pm so that any miss loads would be able to get shuttled to the appropriate person if required in order to get delivered for x-mas.

wayfair

swollen member
The package was a gift from one lawyer's office to another. Should it be the consignee's fault that the shipper did not know that they had moved their office? Should they be further penalized simply because they chose to close early on Christmas Eve to spend time with their family? It just so happened that the consignee was my lawyer for the closing on my condo and that both her old and new addresses are on my delivery area. Her home address was less than 2 miles away from the main road back to the center. It took me all of 5 minutes to reattempt the package to her home. There was no falsification involved as the package was sent 13, not A8. It was obviously a package meant to be a Christmas present and I did all that I could to get the package to the consignee. I did this with the approval and encouragement of my center team. The look on the consignee's face told me that I had done the right thing.

Now, if the consignee did not live so close to my delivery area, the outcome of this story would have been much different. I would have made the two attempts (original and new addresses) and then brought the package back to the center to let them deal with it. If they had then asked me to run it off I would have worked as directed.

UPS: Shipping Wine

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I am well aware of the methods used when delivering Adult Signature Required packages. This pkg was 13, not A8, which means the ASR rules did not apply; however, if the package had been sent A8, I still would have delivered it to the consignee's home and obtained an adult signature. I personally knew the consignee and knew that the package was intended to be delivered by Christmas. I did the ADC in the DIAD and DR MC 2. The look on her face told me that I had done the right thing.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll

Is it the consignees fault? No
Is it our job to correct shippers mistakes? No

One of our drivers told me about how yesterday when EVERYTHING had to be delivered/indirected at businesses, with pretty much NO exceptions. There was an Adult sig required sticker on the box, but the tracking number didn't require an adult Sig. So, he indirected it. Should he have gone into package info hit the code for Adult Signature? Probably.

As drivers, is it our fault that the shipper is trying to get a more expensive service while not wanting to pay for it?

I routinely pick up from a store in the mall which ships the packages with no sig required or anything, with a sticker on it saying it's a sig required package. I always rip off those labels.

Why would the service level matter to you? If it is a Christmas present you do whatever you can to get it delivered.

I had a Christmas present for a lawyer's office on my area. It was addressed to their former address so I sheeted as moved with the intention of reattempting at their new address, which is also on my area. I get there and they had already gone home. I grab my phone book and look up their home address, which is not on my area but is only a few miles away, and run it off. The consignee was very appreciative that I went the extra mile to make sure they received the bottle of wine.

I call fake on this one. Lawyers don't celebrate Christ's birthday. They would burst into flames.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Is it the consignees fault? No
Is it our job to correct shippers mistakes? No

One of our drivers told me about how yesterday when EVERYTHING had to be delivered/indirected at businesses, with pretty much NO exceptions. There was an Adult sig required sticker on the box, but the tracking number didn't require an adult Sig. So, he indirected it. Should he have gone into package info hit the code for Adult Signature? Probably.

As drivers, is it our fault that the shipper is trying to get a more expensive service while not wanting to pay for it?

I routinely pick up from a store in the mall which ships the packages with no sig required or anything, with a sticker on it saying it's a sig required package. I always rip off those labels.

I always go by the service level on the package and ignore any stickers, notes in the address label or preprinted instructions on the box (CDW) put on by the shipper.

wgf46

Going the extra mile will ensure people continue to use UPS. On average, good customer service experience, 5 people are told. Bad customer service experience, 11 people are told. I'll go the extra mile and still have my job.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I had a box of Omaha Steaks going to a business on my area yesterday. It was an auto parts salvage company,(junk yard) with a sign on the door saying that they would be closed until January 2. I know we are supposed to Shipper Release those, but I didn't. I tried a second attempt on the way in case the owner came by for some reason, but I had no luck. Gave package to clerk, she RTSed it.

UPSGUY72

I had a box of Omaha Steaks going to a business on my area yesterday. It was an auto parts salvage company,(junk yard) with a sign on the door saying that they would be closed until January 2. I know we are supposed to Shipper Release those, but I didn't. I tried a second attempt on the way in case the owner came by for some reason, but I had no luck. Gave package to clerk, she RTSed it.

Why would she RTS a shipper release package unless the person moved or died. Bet yet why didn't you release the package like to shipper requested.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
It was at a junkyard that is closed for a week, not really a nicer area of town. The first person that pulled in there looking for a car part would have got a free box of steaks and the intended recipient would have never known about it.

Why would she RTS a shipper release package unless the person moved or died. Bet yet why didn't you release the package like to shipper requested.

Because the customer will be gone a week and a half, irregardless of the DR policy for that company it would look bad for us for the customer to find a package of spoiled food on their stoop on the second, and by RTSing it the shipper can make some other arrangements with the customer and if the customer is unhappy then Omaha Steaks looks bad not UPS who went above and beyond.

Getting the big picture isn't just for driving.