a self serving post

stoni24

Yes it was 1915 last nite and I did find the box 1700. It's a high mileage rural route. Didn't worry about til end of day cuz I knew stop was between end of route and hub.

wayfair

swollen member
I am well aware of the methods used when delivering Adult Signature Required packages.

but the shipment was wine you said.... taking money out of our companies pockets is what you did.. maybe broke some federal laws as well. bootlegger...

and rts'ing an Omaha Steak shipment cost more money out of UPS pocket as well

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
You didn't find it till the end of the day ??? Did you used sheet as missed in the communication area of your board (#4) and send it to the center. Yesterday we had to go through are entire car by 1:00pm so that any miss loads would be able to get shuttled to the appropriate person if required in order to get delivered for x-mas.

You were required to waste 30+ mins going through your load so that the center sups could issue their orders and go home by 3 to start their holiday. Who here saw a center sup when they got back to the building? I saw 15+ drivers at 7pm and not one Sup. I asked the OMS where a sup was and he laughed at me.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Every center is different but I was encouraged to EC packages so my management team could get home. Did I agree with no and I got everything delivered. I also believe we should have off Christmas Eve.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
and rts'ing an Omaha Steak shipment cost more money out of UPS pocket as well

Well aware of that, I could have gave away a box of steaks to a thief or put the package on Future Delivery for a week. There is nothing like the smell of rotting meat.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
You were required to waste 30+ mins going through your load so that the center sups could issue their orders and go home by 3 to start their holiday. Who here saw a center sup when they got back to the building? I saw 15+ drivers at 7pm and not one Sup. I asked the OMS where a sup was and he laughed at me.
I got back after 2000 and my entire center team was still there waiting for every last driver. I shook my center manager's hand, wished her a Merry Christmas, and headed home.

W

want to retire

I got back after 2000 and my entire center team was still there waiting for every last driver. I shook my center manager's hand, wished her a Merry Christmas, and headed home.

I will say that our division was always the last to turn out the lights.....pretty admirable....considering all.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

That was before we went public.

UPS published a new mission (???) statement in early 00's that the Shareholder was #1, Customer was #2, ??? was #3 and Employees were #4.
That was eye-opening.

FedEx must be #3; why else didn't they crush Ground back then when they had the chance?

Oh, and my entire mgmt team was there when I got back last night, along with hoagies, cookies, and a lot if laughing and back-slapping, as WE ALL got through peak.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
There was a time I would go out of my way to get rid of every pkg. Now if the place is closed, see you the next day. The way the company is now run might have something to do with the change in attitude.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
1) FedEx must be #3; why else didn't they crush Ground back then when they had the chance?

2) Oh, and my entire mgmt team was there when I got back last night, along with hoagies, cookies, and a lot if laughing and back-slapping, as WE ALL got through peak.

1) That window of opportunity was the early 90's but I agree. The same could be said of FedEx Express as well in the 80's

2) That's great. Good to see some semblance of leadership is still in the company.

gingerkat

I don't read others posts because I don't want to detour from my original thought...

I think what you did was pretty awesome! Now that I've worked for UPS I can see how thankless the job can be and it's tough to go above and beyond on a day like yesterday. As a customer it's wonderful to see drivers like yourself. I worked with two guys this year and the last two days was with a cover driver and he was amazing compared to my original guy. I thought all drivers were jerks that hated UPS and customers and treated their things/box like garbage, but he proved wrong. He treated every business and residential customer with dignity and respect, not to mention me.

So, I'm sure I'll get blasted like I always do on here, but thanks for being extra thoughtful.

bbsam

Staff member
1) That window of opportunity was the early 90's but I agree. The same could be said of FedEx Express as well in the 80's

2) That's great. Good to see some semblance of leadership is still in the company.

just out of curiosity, how could they have done it and are you sure they didn't try?

beentheredonethat

just out of curiosity, how could they have done it and are you sure they didn't try?

I'll admit, it's always easier in hindsight of what should have been done. Maybe we weren't capable of it at the time. But, the best way to have handled a national competitor who was just starting would be to remove the very profitable pkgs away from them.

What I mean is that way back, (thru the late 80's or early 90's) we had one rate chart. It didn't matter if the shipper shipped tens of thousands of pkgs to commerical addresses that received lots of pkgs or if they shipped a pkg a day to a residential address in the boonies. The leaders of RPS, knew that the larger shippers, shipping to commercial addresses were very profitable to UPS. They were able to go in and give a large discount to those shippers and win volume from UPS. If UPS had reacted back then and implemented new pricing structures that reflected our cost + x% (roughly 10 %) for all types of packages, we could have made it virtually impossible for a new company to offer very large discounts to win volume away from us. Granted, there can always be small companies (couriers) doing very short distance moves that could exist (and do now). They wouldn't be a competitor like FDX ground is now.

As far as FDX air, the way to compete with them is to build an air network very very early in the game when they first came out. Make it so they couldn't build an infrastructure by offering low rates. (keep in mind, we already had a delivery network, we only needed to build the air network) and could have done it cheaper. But, back then, it was a very good chance they would not have suceeded.

E Roldan

You know I think it’s funny the negativity that permeates the workers at UPS. “I always look out for number 1?” That’s just sad, maybe I haven’t been with UPS long enough to have been UPS’ed, but it just seems common courtesies wouldn’t hurt. If someone goes the extra mile appreciate it and don’t be hateful. If that was my package I’d have been super psyched that someone gave a damn enough to get it to me.

Indecisi0n

Unless they (office) tells me to del after I send in the misload I will not deliver it. I no longer make decisions at work.

curiousbrain

You know I think it’s funny the negativity that permeates the workers at UPS. “I always look out for number 1?” That’s just sad, maybe I haven’t been with UPS long enough to have been UPS’ed, but it just seems common courtesies wouldn’t hurt. If someone goes the extra mile appreciate it and don’t be hateful. If that was my package I’d have been super psyched that someone gave a damn enough to get it to me.

Have you made thirty days yet?

Hehe ... I jest ... a little.