a self serving post

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I'll admit, it's always easier in hindsight of what should have been done. Maybe we weren't capable of it at the time. But, the best way to have handled a national competitor who was just starting would be to remove the very profitable pkgs away from them.

What I mean is that way back, (thru the late 80's or early 90's) we had one rate chart. It didn't matter if the shipper shipped tens of thousands of pkgs to commerical addresses that received lots of pkgs or if they shipped a pkg a day to a residential address in the boonies. The leaders of RPS, knew that the larger shippers, shipping to commercial addresses were very profitable to UPS. They were able to go in and give a large discount to those shippers and win volume from UPS. If UPS had reacted back then and implemented new pricing structures that reflected our cost + x% (roughly 10 %) for all types of packages, we could have made it virtually impossible for a new company to offer very large discounts to win volume away from us. Granted, there can always be small companies (couriers) doing very short distance moves that could exist (and do now). They wouldn't be a competitor like FDX ground is now.

As far as FDX air, the way to compete with them is to build an air network very very early in the game when they first came out. Make it so they couldn't build an infrastructure by offering low rates. (keep in mind, we already had a delivery network, we only needed to build the air network) and could have done it cheaper. But, back then, it was a very good chance they would not have suceeded.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but UPS started a 2 day air service back in the 30s or 40's and casey wanted to expand that to next day service which was utlimately scrapped until FedEx came around many years later. Someone else to consider was when fedex did start up they were much more expensive than UPS...there are commercials from UPS stating that they are in some cases twice as expensive to use than UPS...look on youtube...

beentheredonethat

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but UPS started a 2 day air service back in the 30s or 40's and casey wanted to expand that to next day service which was utlimately scrapped until FedEx came around many years later. Someone else to consider was when fedex did start up they were much more expensive than UPS...there are commercials from UPS stating that they are in some cases twice as expensive to use than UPS...look on youtube...
We had a 2 day air service but that service went away due to the recession that gripped the country at the time. No one was paying for that service so it was not profitable.

packageguy

So at 715 I clear out my board and find a mysterious extra box on my car. It's a target resi 2nd day air full of fisher price toys. The stop was not in edd cuz it was a add/cut that didnt get taken off my route. It's 8 miles away and I'm already 45 minutes from center. What would u do? My family is waiting.....I ran it cuz I'm the *****! Guess I'll have to explain why I broke trace and was .50 over Wednesday

YOu are kidding right, you did the right thing

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Since Omaha steaKs was brought up in this post, the other day I delivered a box and there was an Omaha steak pkg there delivered by FedEx home delivery so it looks like fe has their foot into another UPS acct......