A Shill Is Born

vantexan

"FAT" Not only in Memphis but everywhere. My husband has been a courier for 28 years and has never complained. Loves it. Nothing squeezed out of him. He went out last Saturday with 45 stops, left the building 20 minutes late, did not use the DRA manifest and beat the rtb time by 20 min, even had time to stop and use the bathroom...There is no pressure and he can tear up any route. As far as the sprinters, like I have said before, Express saver is going away. So!! and your point is? You will still have a job driving a new sprinter. This company changes by the minute. Get use to it or get out. Thats just the way it is. I respect your opionion and your USERNAME! LOL

But Goldilocks. why do you insist we view the company from YOUR experience? Mid-range couriers have had to watch you enjoy your experience for many years now. We certainly didn't top out in 18 months, won't in 18 years either. Is the solution, in this economy, always "love it or leave it?"

Goldilocks

But Goldilocks. why do you insist we view the company from YOUR experience? Mid-range couriers have had to watch you enjoy your experience for many years now. We certainly didn't top out in 18 months, won't in 18 years either. Is the solution, in this economy, always "love it or leave it?"

vantexan, when I started not everything was peachy. It was very difficult as a female in a male dominate company. I started out as a courier in a Major downtown market. We were scheduled to off load the ctv (there was no such thing as a Handler) we did all, then go to our trucks around 0830 then set up and hit the road. I carried 2 carts of freight at a time. Pushing one and pulling the other. Then would go back load up again. I did this pregnant. It was very difficult. Management was very stricked about sick calls and work ethics, it was so much harder back then than it is today. I have a friend with a 4 digit employee number, they had to follow UPS to get buisness for Fedex. He started in the 70's. Sure, couriers were allowed to smoke on the belt and go out to lunch with managers and maybe have a drink with lunch but times have changed. We worked much harder than today. You know the difference? We worked as a TEAM...Most stations have lost that. We had fun together at work and social events. I was in a station the other day, a very small station and they still have that teamwork. I do hope that one day you guys will be at the top out range. Agree that this does need to be fixed.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
"FAT" Not only in Memphis but everywhere. My husband has been a courier for 28 years and has never complained. Loves it. Nothing squeezed out of him. He went out last Saturday with 45 stops, left the building 20 minutes late, did not use the DRA manifest and beat the rtb time by 20 min, even had time to stop and use the bathroom...There is no pressure and he can tear up any route. As far as the sprinters, like I have said before, Express saver is going away. So!! and your point is? You will still have a job driving a new sprinter. This company changes by the minute. Get use to it or get out. Thats just the way it is. I respect your opionion and your USERNAME! LOL

Genuine Purple People. Fred loves folks like you.

vantexan

vantexan, when I started not everything was peachy. It was very difficult as a female in a male dominate company. I started out as a courier in a Major downtown market. We were scheduled to off load the ctv (there was no such thing as a Handler) we did all, then go to our trucks around 0830 then set up and hit the road. I carried 2 carts of freight at a time. Pushing one and pulling the other. Then would go back load up again. I did this pregnant. It was very difficult. Management was very stricked about sick calls and work ethics, it was so much harder back then than it is today. I have a friend with a 4 digit employee number, they had to follow UPS to get buisness for Fedex. He started in the 70's. Sure, couriers were allowed to smoke on the belt and go out to lunch with managers and maybe have a drink with lunch but times have changed. We worked much harder than today. You know the difference? We worked as a TEAM...Most stations have lost that. We had fun together at work and social events. I was in a station the other day, a very small station and they still have that teamwork. I do hope that one day you guys will be at the top out range. Agree that this does need to be fixed.

I started in the Hub in '86 and have worked as a swing and 4X10 cover in a number of large markets. I know very much how we worked back then. Know what? Have been all over the country with FedEx and what I've found, even today, is FedEx goes to great lengths to maximize productivity in every rt. Even more so today because way back then there were more cake rts than today. And I remember many women back then using whatever tactic possible to get guys to take freight off of them. I'm sure you didn't, but saw that everywhere I went. Usually the weaker ones were accommodated with doc sorting. But I digress. I'm a rehire, have paid my dues, back 13.5 years. I'm nowhere near your pay and being a hard worker has no reward. And I'm 100% certain it never will at this point. If you had a great career, wonderful. Mine certainly would've been much better if I hadn't quit. But I know the other side of it too and there are many here citing very legitimate beefs. If that troubles you I'm sorry but we aren't going to accept that the company has been so truly wonderful to us when we've struggled while giving them the benefit of the doubt that they'd eventually come through. Nothing but a string of broken promises if we didn't get here early enough to get your deal.

TUT

I started in the Hub in '86 and have worked as a swing and 4X10 cover in a number of large markets. I know very much how we worked back then. Know what? Have been all over the country with FedEx and what I've found, even today, is FedEx goes to great lengths to maximize productivity in every rt. Even more so today because way back then there were more cake rts than today. And I remember many women back then using whatever tactic possible to get guys to take freight off of them. I'm sure you didn't, but saw that everywhere I went. Usually the weaker ones were accommodated with doc sorting. But I digress. I'm a rehire, have paid my dues, back 13.5 years. I'm nowhere near your pay and being a hard worker has no reward. And I'm 100% certain it never will at this point. If you had a great career, wonderful. Mine certainly would've been much better if I hadn't quit. But I know the other side of it too and there are many here citing very legitimate beefs. If that troubles you I'm sorry but we aren't going to accept that the company has been so truly wonderful to us when we've struggled while giving them the benefit of the doubt that they'd eventually come through. Nothing but a string of broken promises if we didn't get here early enough to get your deal.

They aren't coming through for these reasons:

1. Economy.
2. All these Ceo's are each others boards and do all the same things. What you see amongst a couple major corps, when they squeeze for efficiency that gets adopted by another and another and another. They all react the same and do very similar things. Almost all the big corps work the same way and it stresses the employee's. Then they see comi-labor doing it better-longer and cheaper then us and even their patriotic bones give in to the lure of dirt cheap labor, for various reasons.

Even if the US would get some magical major economic boost, management has tasted the blood. The good ole days won't be coming back, companies in their golden years (oil) the standard employees are treated like they can barely make ends meet, sad. Airlines/hotels etc etc know this, it's not coming back, they had to downsize because everyone is a tight wad now. There is going to have to be a major and I mean major culture change for the employee to feel really really good again as a nation.

Goldilocks

Yes, I worked with a few women like that, but I never asked for help because I was making what the guys made. Like I have said before, things need to change and one being the pay scale. I'm with you on that....We still have drivers coming in at 1330 and others out there until 1800. Routes need to be balanced. This is a failure of middle managers....They need to be held accountable and not just once a year with SFA.

vantexan

They aren't coming through for these reasons:

1. Economy.
2. All these Ceo's are each others boards and do all the same things. What you see amongst a couple major corps, when they squeeze for efficiency that gets adopted by another and another and another. They all react the same and do very similar things. Almost all the big corps work the same way and it stresses the employee's. Then they see comi-labor doing it better-longer and cheaper then us and even their patriotic bones give in to the lure of dirt cheap labor, for various reasons.

Even if the US would get some magical major economic boost, management has tasted the blood. The good ole days won't be coming back, companies in their golden years (oil) the standard employees are treated like they can barely make ends meet, sad. Airlines/hotels etc etc know this, it's not coming back, they had to downsize because everyone is a tight wad now. There is going to have to be a major and I mean major culture change for the employee to feel really really good again as a nation.

You're exactly right but I'd go further in that they have wanted to take away better pay and benefits for a very long time and the Great Recession gives them cover to do just that. We might not be a Third World Nation but concentrating the wealth into few hands while the majority just get by makes us look more and more like the Third World.

Ricochet1a

As an aside to Vantexan...

Months ago you stated that top out times were "23 months" for Express and stated that my stating 18 months was inaccurate. The source I got that top out time from was hired in the mid-80's and definitely stated he topped out in 18 months. Since I have no reason to doubt "Goldilocks" on this bit of information (18 month top out times), it does look like the lengthening of top out time was started back in the 80's, not later as you suggested - and that my source was correct, and by default I in posting that information.

vantexan

As an aside to Vantexan...

Months ago you stated that top out times were "23 months" for Express and stated that my stating 18 months was inaccurate. The source I got that top out time from was hired in the mid-80's and definitely stated he topped out in 18 months. Since I have no reason to doubt "Goldilocks" on this bit of information (18 month top out times), it does look like the lengthening of top out time was started back in the 80's, not later as you suggested - and that my source was correct, and by default I in posting that information.

She's been here longer, so maybe it was. When I became a courier in '88 it was 23 months. Mea culpa...

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
"FAT" Not only in Memphis but everywhere. My husband has been a courier for 28 years and has never complained. Loves it. Nothing squeezed out of him. He went out last Saturday with 45 stops, left the building 20 minutes late, did not use the DRA manifest and beat the rtb time by 20 min, even had time to stop and use the bathroom...There is no pressure and he can tear up any route.

I always love it when a crybaby courier swears that his onroad goals were unrealistic gets his butt handed to him by a guy like your husband. Cracks me up every time.