A simple idea to reduce misloads

helenofcalifornia

AND.....slightly off target, but I believe that UPS should print UPS in huge letters on the label so that the consignee knows who the package is from.

If colors are not available, which would make a ton of sense and reduce missorts to next to nil, how about a huge character assigned to each truck. Like a huge plus sign or a dollar sign or some such. they could do it in black and white.

UPS Preloader

How about we just slowdown and do the job right. If that means you have to start the Preload earlier so be it. Our preload does not even start untill 5:00 AM now. I remember starting 3:30 to 4:00 every morning.

Slow Down? No. Do the job right? Yes. If that results in the job being done at a slower pace, so be it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If colors are not available, which would make a ton of sense and reduce missorts to next to nil, how about a huge character assigned to each truck. Like a huge plus sign or a dollar sign or some such. they could do it in black and white.

One of our local school districts does this for the buses used to transport the younger students. One has a dinosaur, another has a turtle, etc. Serves the same purpose---reduces misloads.

Alleycar

We use names for our cars. 3 letter names for the front belt and 4 letter names for the back. My preloader has the GAS, ILL, and KID cars. No preloader has 2 cars with names that start with the same letter. Seems to work out pretty well.

AKCoverMan

How bout a z scan. Have them read a freaking label and I won't end up with misloads in towns 45 minutes away.

Because they don't have time. Friday I was covering a route that usually does EAMs in the city before heading out to town that this route covers. This car is the first car on the belt. The preloader assigned to it is loading three cars with about 150 to 250 pcs each and is also, in his spare time, supposed to be splitting the package coming down the belt to either the inside or outside of the belt.

My start time was 0745 and at that point the EAMs should all be ready for dispatch but on Friday the plane was late so we were waiting for the container to be unloaded. I went to the car to help wrap up while waiting for the EAMs. Granted I am not used to splitting or preloading but I couldn't even split the packages as fast as they came down the belt. How in heck do you have time to z-scan, much less load the car the way it needs to be loaded?

It seems obvious that the money that would be spent on a few more bodies on the preload, as well as a rate of pay that might encourage someone good to stay, would be far offset by the reduced number of hours drivers (making the highest rate pay) spend on road dealing with misloads and crappy loads. And since almost all of us work over 8 hours every day every hour we can eliminate is saving over $50/hr.

But the plan says....

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I've heard this discussed before. A very good idea by the way.

From what I was told, there is no printer that can do what you discuss at the moment. It not only needs to print in color, but needs to do so at the speed of the current printers. In addition, it must do so for thousands of labels a day.

High speed, industrial strength color printers are not available yet....

What about a "sprayer" (for lack of a better word) that sprays a color dot over or next to the numbers on the PAL label? It doesnt have to be precise or pretty. I really think that finding some way to incorporate color is the key to eliminating misloads. The human eye has a much easier time distinguishing colors.

curiousbrain

What about a "sprayer" (for lack of a better word) that sprays a color dot over or next to the numbers on the PAL label? It doesnt have to be precise or pretty. I really think that finding some way to incorporate color is the key to eliminating misloads. The human eye has a much easier time distinguishing colors.

Don't you honestly think, if IE could exploit this, they would have already? I just have a hard time believing that color is the elusive beast that will reduce misloads for this company.

I'm not saying I have a better idea, and I'm certainly not saying it wouldn't help, but to say it is the key to eliminating misloads is missing other integral parts of the picture.

kingOFchester

You are really getting to something with this. Great idea, and now even working out the implementation of the idea. I really think you are on to something.

kingOFchester

We use names for our cars. 3 letter names for the front belt and 4 letter names for the back. My preloader has the GAS, ILL, and KID cars. No preloader has 2 cars with names that start with the same letter. Seems to work out pretty well.

Would never ever ever work in my center. My slide runs anywhere from 25ish trips to 18ish on any given day. Preloaders are moved daily. Dumps are moved, trucks moved, it just wouldn't work for us.

DorkHead

I've heard this discussed before. A very good idea by the way.

From what I was told, there is no printer that can do what you discuss at the moment. It not only needs to print in color, but needs to do so at the speed of the current printers. In addition, it must do so for thousands of labels a day.

High speed, industrial strength color printers are not available yet....

Yes, this is a good idea. Seeing these type of printers are not available yet, how about a symbol in black or white on surepost pals? Like a triangle for pos. 1, circle for pos. 2 square for pos. 3.........

Overpaid Union Thug

Us drivers can reduce many mis-loads or mis-sectioned packages by scratching out the pals (or removing them) off send agains. It takes about a second. I do this right after I finish the service cross because I already have the pen out and ready. Otherwise the preloader could load it using the previous day's pal and it will likely end up in a different section or truck than the day before. At least half of the mis-loads and mis-sectioned packages I experience every day are a result of a preloader doing that.

pretzel_man

Yes, this is a good idea. Seeing these type of printers are not available yet, how about a symbol in black or white on surepost pals? Like a triangle for pos. 1, circle for pos. 2 square for pos. 3.........

I see that Helen posted the same thing. I think its a great idea.

Ms.PacMan

We put colored signs with the truck number inside the trucks. One above the bulkhead door, one hangs off the 8000 shelf and one in the middle on the other side. One problem was that once they have walked into the truck with the wrong package they had nothing to make them notice the error. Now the preloader has several signs and the actual color on the signs to remind him/her which truck they are in. It helped a lot.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Don't you honestly think, if IE could exploit this, they would have already? I just have a hard time believing that color is the elusive beast that will reduce misloads for this company.

I'm not saying I have a better idea, and I'm certainly not saying it wouldn't help, but to say it is the key to eliminating misloads is missing other integral parts of the picture.

IE probably calculated that colored ink cost .00002 of a cent more per label to use, and figured it would be cheaper to just fire the preloaders who misload the packages instead.

Buck Fifty

Say I load 3 trucks 28 a b c

pal labels should read 28a-black
28b-red
28c-blue

then wrap the shelf edge with the correct color and also mark the floor in RDC.I would say paint the whole interior,but if you had a break down it would be hard to switch out. We have 50 routes with two belts, so you could duplicate colors if on different belts. Idk

ymelord

I get misloads every single day, and have for years now. Inevitably, the package is on the correct shelf but it belongs in the car next to me, which means I get to make a 15 mile round trip to make service on it. The problem, I think, is that all PAL labels pretty much look the same in the back of a dimly lit package car at 4:00AM.

A simple solution....would be to color code the PAL labels. If they used a printer that could print in 6 different colors, the routes could be arranged so that no two adjacent routes shared the same color. Its a lot easier for the human eye to spot the difference between red and blue on a PAL label than it is to spot the difference between 702-1468 and 703-1468 on a PAL label.

Any thoughts?

As soon as somebody in management comes up with the same idea, it will get implemented.

Floridacargocat

We experimented with different distinguishing features, when it comes to the car designation. 1 & 4, 5 & 6, 8 & 9 are very similar in appearance as we use a font, which makes these numbers so close. We looked into methods and procedures, and even good loaders, following the methods and acknowlwdging the PALs inside the cars signed of the package in the wrong car.
Distinguishing colors would definitly help, as it all comes down to the the following course of action:
Ideal: a robot-like vision recognition of package caracteristics (PAL number) and conversion into motion (right car/right/shelf/right placement in sequence) based on a hard-wire device (computer) and software system, providing the correct instructions
Current: The human brain is the center and drive for visual recognition of package characteristics as well as giving the proper instructions for motion, all driven by the flow and workings of neurons and synapses (similar to a circuit board and wiring diagram). However there are gaps in this wiring diagrams, and that is where the synapses and neurons come into play. The neurons have to hit the right synapsis, resulting in the transfer of proper instruction for conversion into motion. Counterchecking the PAL inside the car is the last transaction in this chain of events. If everything works out fine (everything is in the proper place), then it has worked. But I have also seen good loaders, following the methods, who sign off the PAL inside the car, and it is still in the wrong car.
And when it comes to the end of the sort (with the intense pressure to wrap), then the mistakes happen, especially when other loaders are assigned to cars, and the accountability cannot be maintained (but we may have wrapped in time, hurray).
What is the solution? As I have written in the beginning (and this might appear as harsh), remove the human element at least from sorting on the slide, so that all boxes and envelopes are placed in front of the right car. Is it feasible? Possible. Is it feasible in view of the current layout from the pick station to the individual slides and flowrates? Would it have a positive financial effect to adjust
- flow rates
- layout of belts/slides?
Would it have a positive financial impact to have more suitable and capable personnel, beginning with the selection process?
I am with this company for a few years, and regrettably I have seen only a more intensive banging of our heads into a concrete wall when it comes to the entire unloading and loading process with more damages and misloads.
Trying to conduct misload audits at the end of the sort is possible only in extremely rare cases, and this is the time when it happens, especially when additional loaders are trying to wrap the cars. Trying to conduct MORE misloads audits does not correct systemic deficiencies, we only try to stops the leaks.
To me it appears as if the current system is in exact opposition to perform a quality operation, but maybe this has been calculated by controllers as being the cost of business. Who knows? We will know when the customer tells UPS in an unmistakably manner what they would like to do, but currently what kind of an option do they have? Do you think the others are better? And I am a customer too.
The overall "envelope" of this operation has not changed, but the company tries to push more into this envelope, and it looks as if it expects a simple linear increase/improvement in flow rates would have a beneficial financial effect. The "envelope" might still offer a few more nooks and crannies to fill, but it als very close to bursting apart, as we do not change the size of the "envelope".

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
It'd be nice if UPS updated its equipment. We've been using the same computers & printers (which are consistently refurbished) since PAS was installed here more than ten years ago. Which is interesting given there's modern computers and flat panels which are 90% more energy efficient, and would easily pay for themselves within a year before delivering energy savings. Instead, UPS turns the heat off.

Interestingly, since I wrote this comment over the weekend, UPS has been replacing all of our ancient computers with brand new HP (albeit running Windows 7, not 8) ones -- even the bank of computers dedicated to PTers punching in, looking at paychecks, etc. was replaced (and those were super old, using a brand that's been extinct since 1998). SPAing response time is noticeably faster ... I'm no techie, I had thought that since it was accessing a database over the intranet that it would be unaffected.

Same crappy printers, though.