A small nugget of what is sure to be many changes in the coming weeks

whenIgetthere

Would he put any sort of scans on them?

To tell you the truth, I don't know. I would assume packages having SIP scans and no Van scans would raise red flags somewhere, like say a daily message from CSA asking why those packages hadn't been vanned. Like I said, I never heard of him getting in trouble, but that could be hush hush, though he was never one to keep anything hush hush! lol

Express Courier

To tell you the truth, I don't know. I would assume packages having SIP scans and no Van scans would raise red flags somewhere, like say a daily message from CSA asking why those packages hadn't been vanned. Like I said, I never heard of him getting in trouble, but that could be hush hush, though he was never one to keep anything hush hush! lol
Yeah I wonder how he pulled that off. Because no vans would raise flags like you said and then what's the other option, resi release or controlled release it (to the trash lol) or fake signature (to the trash). But any way you slice it you'd think some of those customers would be calling wondering wtf their supplies are.

LTFedExer

From what I understand (last time I checked with an Express Courier I know, which was about 4 months ago), there was the capability in the "new" powerpad (same as the old one I had when I was working as a Courier) to do an exception scan while at a drop box and perform a scan on a Ground piece.

The next time you are at a drop box (having a stop with a dropbox) hit exception, then scroll all the way to the very last option - you will see "Ground pickup" as an option (you WILL NOT see this option available at a non-drop box stop). Scan a Ground piece while in that option. The powerpad will accept that scan. When you close the stop, the powerpad will prompt you to print out a listing of all Ground pieces scanned at that stop.

The option is still available. I scanned a Ground package on Thursday.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I can condone trying to find cheaper comparable alternatives when it comes to material purchases and products. What you are possibly suggesting is that it is OK for an employer to keep seeking lower and lower costs of labor at the expense of those offering the labor when there are few choices.

Yes, it's OK if the survival of the company depends on it. That's not an issue at Express, as the cost of labor is not going down.

Do you think it is OK for companies to continuously beat down the wage and benefits of the working class just to boost payouts to executives and shareholders (many of whom are the same executives)?

Not a fan of it. When the components of your 401(k) and another other retirement investment vehicles don't perform well, what do you suggest be done about it?

When you go to a restaurant how much do you tip, 10, 15, 20 percent?
[

I'm not sure what this has to do with anything, but 15% is the minimum and 25% is probably the maximum unless it's extraordinarily bad or good, respectively.

The executives, many millionaires and some billionaires in Memphis are not "typical American consumers". They have no idea what the typical courier endures every day.
YES, it does only count when it comes to purchasing hours of labor.
The public sentiment against big companies is growing and the real movement has not even begun yet. Occupy Wall Street was just the beginning. 59 Dano you seem happy to pipe in when ever you feel FedEx's little toes are getting stepped on. Really what side of the human race are you on?

Interesting. If OWS told us anything, it's that the movement is an absolute joke that relied on figurative banshee wailing en masse by lots of people who saw that there are very wealthy people and decided that their own particular situation should be blamed on those wealthy people. Once in a while, someone within the movement would raise a point worthy of debate only to run the dialogue off the tracks because every discussion ultimately boiled down to "the rich people are bad" being used to explain anything and everything.

When your only answer is a hammer, every question looks like a nail.

59 Dano

Let's see, you have a standard for others, and a different one for yourself. What did you call that again, I forget in my old age?

I don't deny having made a personal attack, I said I try to keep from it. A comment about your or my attitude isn't a personal attack. "Your attitude is bad" is a far cry from "You're a bad person." "That's a dumb thing to say" is much different from "You're a dumb person." With that being said, feel free to take things personally if you want. I'm a big boy and I don't really care about personal attacks levied at me if you want to throw any of them my way. You've never had a problem with your allies making them.

"success or lack thereof".......woot, there it is.....in a nutshell, your type defines success by how much you "achieve" in relation to what others do. You don't define success by doing right by your employer, working hard, professionalism. Your kind sees things in terms of winners and losers. The further up the chain, the bigger the winner.[/QUOTE}

Ummm, no. Success is in the eye of the beholder and it is defined by the individual. I know hippie types who live on next to nothing and achieved their goals and they're happy as can be. I know people who have all sorts of accomplishments but view themselves as failures for whatever reasons. To each his own and Godspeed.

It's pointless to have a conversation with your type in person because, as one is speaking, your type is sizing him up to see if he's worthy of your attention, of your respect, of your friendship, or can you be openly dismissive.

Not really, but thanks for making a highly judgemental and groundless assumption.

vantexan

Yes, it's OK if the survival of the company depends on it. That's not an issue at Express, as the cost of labor is not going down.

Baloney. With each passing year more topped out couriers retire or leave, to be replaced by much cheaper employees. Meanwhile the middle's pay progression is a trickle. You should have said the cost of labor is not going down fast enough to suit the company.

59 Dano

Baloney. With each passing year more topped out couriers retire or leave, to be replaced by much cheaper employees. Meanwhile the middle's pay progression is a trickle. You should have said the cost of labor is not going down fast enough to suit the company.

Is your hourly pay more now than it was 5 years ago or have they been cutting it?

vantexan

Is your hourly pay more now than it was 5 years ago or have they been cutting it?

Not much more and if you factor in inflation as well as raising medical every year then my purchasing power is no better than 5 years ago and may be less. Tell me oh great swami, where will we all be in 3 years if we're not even getting 35hrs a week?

59 Dano

Right back at you on the comments about never signing up for extra work, etc.

I *asked if you didn't sign up for extra hours or if you were one of the ones who seemingly had all the answers but refused to go into management and implement them.

And if *that is a personal attack that you take offense to, well then, ummm, yeah. I'll see if I can be a bit more gentle.

59 Dano

Not much more and if you factor in inflation as well as raising medical every year then my purchasing power is no better than 5 years ago and may be less. Tell me oh great swami, where will we all be in 3 years if we're not even getting 35hrs a week?

LOLOLOL this is getting absurd! "Not much more" is still more, and it is DEFINITELY not "less."

vantexan

LOLOLOL this is getting absurd! "Not much more" is still more, and it is DEFINITELY not "less."

If you can't buy as much how then is it more, other than numerically? Guess what buddy, we actually do sacrifice for this company, and everywhere I've worked since being rehired I've heard mgrs say that we just need to hang in there, the company is working on topping us out faster. They were saying it 10 years ago and they're still saying it. We just want to share in the rewards of working for FedEx just like the topped out people. I don't think that's asking for too much but you make it sound like it's ridiculous after 10+ years of hard work we'd like to be doing better. I bet I know why too. You know that to pay us better FedEx will take it from another group. And you are protecting your pockets, isn't that so, manager?

vantexan

I *asked if you didn't sign up for extra hours or if you were one of the ones who seemingly had all the answers but refused to go into management and implement them.

And if *that is a personal attack that you take offense to, well then, ummm, yeah. I'll see if I can be a bit more gentle.

Refer to the other thread...

59 Dano

If you can't buy as much how then is it more, other than numerically? Guess what buddy, we actually do sacrifice for this company, and everywhere I've worked since being rehired I've heard mgrs say that we just need to hang in there, the company is working on topping us out faster. They were saying it 10 years ago and they're still saying it.

It's a pay *cut because you haven't been topped out yet?

We just want to share in the rewards of working for FedEx just like the topped out people. I don't think that's asking for too much but you make it sound like it's ridiculous after 10+ years of hard work we'd like to be doing better. I bet I know why too. You know that to pay us better FedEx will take it from another group. And you are protecting your pockets, isn't that so, manager?

You tell me what the company's net margin should be and we'll figure out the pay from there. I want more money, too. I'm greedy like you.

59 Dano

Refer to the other thread...

Dude, I'm not going to crawl all over the site bouncing around between threads to split hairs over semantics. Jesus H, let's just say I made a HORRIFIC personal attack on you and move on. Why you're making a big deal over *that when there are far, far worse offenders... oh wait, I know why. Never mind.

vantexan

It's a pay *cut because you haven't been topped out yet?

You tell me what the company's net margin should be and we'll figure out the pay from there. I want more money, too. I'm greedy like you.

Right, the company can afford to top us out in 10 years but instead are embarking on an endeavor to turn us into part-timers. We're greedy for wanting as much as those that went before, just to have enough to be able to have a few things as well as save for our retirement. The company however, in your estimation, is fine turning us into part-timers and pushing out long time senior, loyal couriers. You call me greedy but it's how much the company can make for the few at the expense of the many. OK by you because you're one of the few.

vantexan

Dude, I'm not going to crawl all over the site bouncing around between threads to split hairs over semantics. Jesus H, let's just say I made a HORRIFIC personal attack on you and move on. Why you're making a big deal over *that when there are far, far worse offenders... oh wait, I know why. Never mind.

You distorted what you said on the other thread so I just wanted everyone to see the twists and turns.

59 Dano

Right, the company can afford to top us out in 10 years but instead are embarking on an endeavor to turn us into part-timers. We're greedy for wanting as much as those that went before, just to have enough to be able to have a few things as well as save for our retirement. The company however, in your estimation, is fine turning us into part-timers and pushing out long time senior, loyal couriers. You call me greedy but it's how much the company can make for the few at the expense of the many. OK by you because you're one of the few.

This isn't a question of greed or seniority or who is taller or who is loyal. It's one of math. AGAIN, tell us what the company's net margin should be and we'll work out the pay from there.

vantexan

This isn't a question of greed or seniority or who is taller or who is loyal. It's one of math. AGAIN, tell us what the company's net margin should be and we'll work out the pay from there.

It's not the company's net margin, it's Express operating margin. How much profit will FedEx make in fiscal year 2012? They can top us out faster. No one says it has to be in 3 years like UPS or even UPS pay. But it's a moot point and you know it. The company is working diligently to turn us into part-timers so I can jump up and down about better pay, you can jump up and down about profit margins, it doesn't matter. Profits will go way up, and 10's of thousands of employees trying to pay bills will be in big trouble. Oh well, we'll all be dead in 100 years, huh?