A thought from a dumb driver

UnconTROLLed

perfection
It's an added driver as soon as he delivers his first package. So it's not that. The problem probably lies with the projected stop counts not always being true and the add/cut usually doesn't happen till the end of the preload.

Multiple packages don't get moved by the preloaders all the time. Happens to me regularly when they do an add/cut. Partly through the day I'll find packages from the cut that were not moved.

Remember....we are paid to be stupid on decisions like this. We just deliver :)

probably takes more time and money to plan and execute those decisions and make it happen than to just pay a couple drivers to run around/off the miscellaneous

JustTired

free at last.......
It seems as time goes on.....there seems to be a mentality of "plan to fail". I don't claim to understand the concept, but it becomes apparent when you are the customer.

As an example.......I received email notification of three items I ordered from the same Co. being shipped on the same day. One (which came from a more distant location) was shipped USPS, the other two UPS. I received the postal package last Friday. Yesterday (Tues.) I received one of the UPS packages and assume I will get the other today. I have in the past year been amazed at how fast I receive things when shipped through the post office.

The problem lies (I believe) when a company spends more time and less money trying to please the stockholder rather than the customer. A path that will eventually come back to bite them in the end. JMO

Jim Kemp

The problem lies (I believe) when a company spends more time and less money trying to please the stockholder rather than the customer. A path that will eventually come back to bite them in the end. JMO

I agree with this and having been here 30 years, I can see that this co. has gone down hill since we went public. What was wrong with the business model that UPS used the 70 or 80 years before? As an employee that is nearing retirement(if I could just get my children out of private schools and into college) I have a huge interest in seeing UPS succeed, that is why I made the facetious argument to begin with.
I know mgt. would not believe it but I (and I believe the vast majority of Teamsters at UPS)want to be as efficient as possible, that's why drivers get so frustrated when mgt. does something inefficient such as leaving one pkgs from a split on you to make their numbers look good. "But the preload was wrapped early". No the preload was not "Wrapped Early" it was all stuffed in a truck, It was the wrong truck but what the heck. Out of sight out of mind, the driver will fix it.

UnconTROLLed

perfection

I agree with this and having been here 30 years, I can see that this co. has gone down hill since we went public. What was wrong with the business model that UPS used the 70 or 80 years before? As an employee that is nearing retirement(if I could just get my children out of private schools and into college) I have a huge interest in seeing UPS succeed, that is why I made the facetious argument to begin with.
I know mgt. would not believe it but I (and I believe the vast majority of Teamsters at UPS)want to be as efficient as possible, that's why drivers get so frustrated when mgt. does something inefficient such as leaving one pkgs from a split on you to make their numbers look good. "But the preload was wrapped early". No the preload was not "Wrapped Early" it was all stuffed in a truck, It was the wrong truck but what the heck. Out of sight out of mind, the driver will fix it.

WHy do you have to misquote me? I never said "wrapped early", I said "wrapped close to projected downtime". and that is completely true. even if its 20 minutes after. It definitly has to do with numbers, and keeping someone in the office counting their money happy.

Jim Kemp

I am not quoting you. I am quoting the preload sup. at our center. His attitude is that if its in a truck that's all that matters and the drivers go out and correct his mistakes usually on overtime.
And my point is they would have more money to count if they actually worked efficient rather than just making it look good on a report. You can make a report say anything you want but does that make the worker more efficient?