A Victorious Ride...

About 4 weeks ago I was invited to my Managers office to have a meeting to discuss my performance on a route that I had been on for 5 days. Previous to this route I was on the same route for about 2 years and would on a consistent basis bonus between .50 to .75 everyday, so I was a little confused on why they would so quickly want to discuss my performance on a new route. My Manager gives me the "Your laying down.", "Letting your teammates down.", "You need to step it up.", you know, all the classics. I informed my Manager that I'm learning the route, it takes time to get it down and that if I'm doing anything wrong that they were more than welcome to ride with me. Meeting ended and we went back to what we all do.
A week goes by and I'm back in the Managers office again. This time when he spouts all his quotes, I inform him that I'm using my methods, working at a good pace and the time study on the route is incorrect. He comes back with "The normal driver is able to run scratch, why can't you?". I respond with "The normal driver has been doing this route for years, I also know, because the driver themselves told me, that they only take 1/2 lunches and work through their breaks. They have also clocked out at 12 hours and then worked an hour to an hour and a half off the clock to finish the route."(I thought there is a rule that allows drivers to work up to 14 hours 1 day a week, maybe that's bad information). My Manager states, "Well, we will look into that", (they already know they work off the clock because they tell them to do so) and that now I'm going to have a ride along.
I know this is long, but here's the best part. Since then I've had 2 ride alongs. The first ride along I had we came back to the building at 12 hours and had to sheet 16 stops as missed. The second ride along, I was about an hour and 45 minutes over. Both times my sup who rode with me stated that I did everything correctly and worked at above average pace.
I haven't been called into the office since and the route was lightened. It's a small victory, but a victory none the less.

Leftinbuilding

Had a similar situation. Even had "rides" from district office for three days. Kept telling them the study was off. Finally I got a warning letter telling me anything over 45 minutes late would be unacceptable and would result in disciplinary action. Kept challenging them for a study. Finally got one. They added 1.5 hours to my allowance. Suddenly, I was no longer a problem driver and, in fact, became a good driver, lol.

Integrity

Binge Poster
About 4 weeks ago I was invited to my Managers office to have a meeting to discuss my performance on a route that I had been on for 5 days. Previous to this route I was on the same route for about 2 years and would on a consistent basis bonus between .50 to .75 everyday, so I was a little confused on why they would so quickly want to discuss my performance on a new route. My Manager gives me the "Your laying down.", "Letting your teammates down.", "You need to step it up.", you know, all the classics. I informed my Manager that I'm learning the route, it takes time to get it down and that if I'm doing anything wrong that they were more than welcome to ride with me. Meeting ended and we went back to what we all do.
A week goes by and I'm back in the Managers office again. This time when he spouts all his quotes, I inform him that I'm using my methods, working at a good pace and the time study on the route is incorrect. He comes back with "The normal driver is able to run scratch, why can't you?". I respond with "The normal driver has been doing this route for years, I also know, because the driver themselves told me, that they only take 1/2 lunches and work through their breaks. They have also clocked out at 12 hours and then worked an hour to an hour and a half off the clock to finish the route."(I thought there is a rule that allows drivers to work up to 14 hours 1 day a week, maybe that's bad information). My Manager states, "Well, we will look into that", (they already know they work off the clock because they tell them to do so) and that now I'm going to have a ride along.
I know this is long, but here's the best part. Since then I've had 2 ride alongs. The first ride along I had we came back to the building at 12 hours and had to sheet 16 stops as missed. The second ride along, I was about an hour and 45 minutes over. Both times my sup who rode with me stated that I did everything correctly and worked at above average pace.
I haven't been called into the office since and the route was lightened. It's a small victory, but a victory none the less.
Sup of the Day,

I think this is a huge victory!

I commend you on this.

This is exactly as I would handle this.

I appreciate you sharing this on the Brown Cafe.

Sincerely,
I

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I would say congrats ....but deep down we know that the harassment, intimidation and overall idiocy presented by the center manager only moved onto a less fortunate driver.

over9five

Staff member
over9five,

I thought the same thing.

I think this is actually unlawful.

Sincerely,
I
I was thinking less of it being a law issue, and more of it being just plain impossible. So you punch out your DIAD, how is it you are still able to record deliveries?

Sorry, I'm throwing the BS flag out!

I asked them this as well. They said that they would just DR all the remaining stops and then would NI the Sign req. or call the customer and get permission to sign for them. As for ending mileage, they would estimate. Remember, Managers and Sups knew they were doing this so they didn't follow up on things such as 'How were you able to stop complete 25 to 30 stops in a manner of minutes?'. I agree, it's stupid, because if something happens, management isn't going to have their back. It also sucks because when drivers such as myself who do the job properly and are filling in on an unfamiliar route. We get are :censored2: chewed when we can't provide the same results.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I'm Assuming prerecord the stops then just open and DR them all before you go back out and deliver.

Why anyone would do this is just stupid.
An hour and a half worth of stops??

Nope, don't buy it.

I've seen these stops also maybe put under a board in a supervisors name?

Sometimes they will spread them out between other routes also. I know I've had days where my numbers say I did 4-5 more stops than I actually did.

We also have a couple of drivers who work twelves almost everyday (apparently this is going to change according to my steward) claim they get dispatched 13 to 14 hour days...how is this possible or do I have to throw my BS flag at them? They are pretty old, so it wouldn't be hard to hit them. Further more, I asked a driver (who has to drive almost 2 hours to get to his delivery area) why they take C.O.D. turn in envelopes with them and they replied that some nights they don't get back to the building on time so they clock out on the way back to the building to stay under 12. I then asked why they don't just get their route fixed. They laughed and stated "That's a good one."

packageguy

good victory, but you ratted your fellow teamster, you should of asked for a ride and stop at that. Why would you throw in under the bus? Now when he come back he will be watched, they will get him for Falsify records punching out then Delivering.

I understand your point. But, as I said before, Management is already aware of the things they are doing. I was just letting Management know that I know what Management is allowing to happen so please don't (management) jump my ars when I don't perform as well as he does.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
It's always wonderful to have them ride along with you. Ever since (in my hub/center anyway) the virtual time studies started the routes have got retarded. I'm sure most of it where the package is scanned and where you stop complete. But the common sense allowances don't exist anymore. From my understanding, we get an average amount of steps per day, not what steps we actually do, we lost selection allowance when PAS came online (even though in the morning I always have to dig for something) and now were going to have ORION which will shuffle my stops and prolly have me digging more than usual. I do like a lot of aspects of the new technologies but they are blissfully unaware and non caring when it comes to the shortfalls. It's really quite shtupid.