A Victorious Ride...

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
They dont say anything because they are trying to keep their job, they think they can be fired for not doing the impossible.
It is people like Sup of the day, that will halt this, and I commend you.
Funny how they dont see a thing, turn a blind eye, when you do 30 stops in 30 minutes, BUT, want to question you when it took you 15 minutes to do 2, FUNNY HOW you ask? Maybe that is how long it actually took.
In the real world, where work is work, and cheating is a reason to be fired. Unless you actually laid down and took a nap, why would you give the time away, your time away from your life. To help the company be more profitable, to allow them to throw more ridiculous workload on you? To have the chance of being fired when and if someone ever comes across the records who has an ounce of decency, that knows its bogus.

Alas, I used to be stupid too. When I am the last one in, and I find myself thinking, OMG I only did 12 stops per hour, I idled too long, so Im going to sit here and frreze my butt when it is 12 out, why did it take so much time? I find myself almost as brainwashed as they are, since Ive been groomed so long. I barely took my lunch, but I will get paid for my time, as I only put in what I take. This is how long it took, I was balls to the wall all day, and Im not going to give it to them, coz they have manipulated me into thinking I did something wrong. Yes a few stops took longer than they should have. Like the one 5 piece kitchen set, in a falling apart box, struggling with frostbitten fingers, to get it out of my truck while the people watch me from a plate glass large window in their nice warm house, on welfare day in Ohio. Watch me dolly it all the way up to the door and then ask me if I can put it back on the truck as they dont want it. Stupid? Uncaring? Entitled, all the above. Should I take that out of my time? Nope not doing it. It is their customer, their package, I just do the heavy work, they pay me well to do it, and it took how long it took.
I get back to the building, next to last. Should I change my rtb time, punch out now and do all the paperwork off the clock?
You got a better chance of seeing GOD.

Integrity

Binge Poster
They dont say anything because they are trying to keep their job, they think they can be fired for not doing the impossible.
It is people like Sup of the day, that will halt this, and I commend you.
Funny how they dont see a thing, turn a blind eye, when you do 30 stops in 30 minutes, BUT, want to question you when it took you 15 minutes to do 2, FUNNY HOW you ask? Maybe that is how long it actually took.
In the real world, where work is work, and cheating is a reason to be fired. Unless you actually laid down and took a nap, why would you give the time away, your time away from your life. To help the company be more profitable, to allow them to throw more ridiculous workload on you? To have the chance of being fired when and if someone ever comes across the records who has an ounce of decency, that knows its bogus.

Alas, I used to be stupid too. When I am the last one in, and I find myself thinking, OMG I only did 12 stops per hour, I idled too long, so Im going to sit here and frreze my butt when it is 12 out, why did it take so much time? I find myself almost as brainwashed as they are, since Ive been groomed so long. I barely took my lunch, but I will get paid for my time, as I only put in what I take. This is how long it took, I was balls to the wall all day, and Im not going to give it to them, coz they have manipulated me into thinking I did something wrong. Yes a few stops took longer than they should have. Like the one 5 piece kitchen set, in a falling apart box, struggling with frostbitten fingers, to get it out of my truck while the people watch me from a plate glass large window in their nice warm house, on welfare day in Ohio. Watch me dolly it all the way up to the door and then ask me if I can put it back on the truck as they dont want it. Stupid? Uncaring? Entitled, all the above. Should I take that out of my time? Nope not doing it. It is their customer, their package, I just do the heavy work, they pay me well to do it, and it took how long it took.
I get back to the building, next to last. Should I change my rtb time, punch out now and do all the paperwork off the clock?
You got a better chance of seeing GOD.
toonertoo,

Well said!

Sincerely,
I

What'dyabringmetoday???

good victory, but you ratted your fellow teamster, you should of asked for a ride and stop at that. Why would you throw in under the bus? Now when he come back he will be watched, they will get him for Falsify records punching out then Delivering.
I would hardly refer to someone who donates a couple of hours as "fellow teamster". If guys like that did the job properly there would be more work for fellow Teamsters. (Yeah, I used a capital T) lol

S

serenity now

tooner

post #21 * i seriously doubt that you were balls to the walls :wink2:

i have little doubt that you were bustin' some butt

Integrity

Binge Poster
I would hardly refer to someone who donates a couple of hours as "fellow teamster". If guys like that did the job properly there would be more work for fellow Teamsters. (Yeah, I used a capital T) lol
What'dyabringmetoday???,

I agree.

This is really hurting other teamsters or potential teamsters.

What do you think should be done about this?

Sincerely,
I

oldupsman

About 4 weeks ago I was invited to my Managers office to have a meeting to discuss my performance on a route that I had been on for 5 days. Previous to this route I was on the same route for about 2 years and would on a consistent basis bonus between .50 to .75 everyday, so I was a little confused on why they would so quickly want to discuss my performance on a new route. My Manager gives me the "Your laying down.", "Letting your teammates down.", "You need to step it up.", you know, all the classics. I informed my Manager that I'm learning the route, it takes time to get it down and that if I'm doing anything wrong that they were more than welcome to ride with me. Meeting ended and we went back to what we all do.
A week goes by and I'm back in the Managers office again. This time when he spouts all his quotes, I inform him that I'm using my methods, working at a good pace and the time study on the route is incorrect. He comes back with "The normal driver is able to run scratch, why can't you?". I respond with "The normal driver has been doing this route for years, I also know, because the driver themselves told me, that they only take 1/2 lunches and work through their breaks. They have also clocked out at 12 hours and then worked an hour to an hour and a half off the clock to finish the route."(I thought there is a rule that allows drivers to work up to 14 hours 1 day a week, maybe that's bad information). My Manager states, "Well, we will look into that", (they already know they work off the clock because they tell them to do so) and that now I'm going to have a ride along.
I know this is long, but here's the best part. Since then I've had 2 ride alongs. The first ride along I had we came back to the building at 12 hours and had to sheet 16 stops as missed. The second ride along, I was about an hour and 45 minutes over. Both times my sup who rode with me stated that I did everything correctly and worked at above average pace.
I haven't been called into the office since and the route was lightened. It's a small victory, but a victory none the less.
I lived by this simple policy my entire 32 years at UPS. It states, "UPS only abuses those people who allow themselves to be abused."

Integrity

Binge Poster
I lived by this simple policy my entire 32 years at UPS. It states, "UPS only abuses those people who allow themselves to be abused."
oldmupsman,

I understand this comment but are you telling us, in your 32 years you have never seen anyone who has tried to stick up for themselves suffer further abuse as a result of trying to "buck the system"?

Sincerely,
I

Dragon

Package Center Manager
About 4 weeks ago I was invited to my Managers office to have a meeting to discuss my performance on a route that I had been on for 5 days. Previous to this route I was on the same route for about 2 years and would on a consistent basis bonus between .50 to .75 everyday, so I was a little confused on why they would so quickly want to discuss my performance on a new route. My Manager gives me the "Your laying down.", "Letting your teammates down.", "You need to step it up.", you know, all the classics. I informed my Manager that I'm learning the route, it takes time to get it down and that if I'm doing anything wrong that they were more than welcome to ride with me. Meeting ended and we went back to what we all do.
A week goes by and I'm back in the Managers office again. This time when he spouts all his quotes, I inform him that I'm using my methods, working at a good pace and the time study on the route is incorrect. He comes back with "The normal driver is able to run scratch, why can't you?". I respond with "The normal driver has been doing this route for years, I also know, because the driver themselves told me, that they only take 1/2 lunches and work through their breaks. They have also clocked out at 12 hours and then worked an hour to an hour and a half off the clock to finish the route."(I thought there is a rule that allows drivers to work up to 14 hours 1 day a week, maybe that's bad information). My Manager states, "Well, we will look into that", (they already know they work off the clock because they tell them to do so) and that now I'm going to have a ride along.
I know this is long, but here's the best part. Since then I've had 2 ride alongs. The first ride along I had we came back to the building at 12 hours and had to sheet 16 stops as missed. The second ride along, I was about an hour and 45 minutes over. Both times my sup who rode with me stated that I did everything correctly and worked at above average pace.
I haven't been called into the office since and the route was lightened. It's a small victory, but a victory none the less.

Re: Drivers all across the land, Managers just don't understand....

Just the Employee we love to see coming thru the door everyday....leaving your mark at UPS huh..make sure you do not run into the door..safety an all.

oldupsman

oldmupsman,

I understand this comment but are you telling us, in your 32 years you have never seen anyone who has tried to stick up for themselves suffer further abuse as a result of trying to "buck the system"?

Sincerely,
I
Sure. I suffered further abuse myself. But I was never scared because I knew I was being honest. Anytime I was questioned about my numbers my
response was, "Ride with me and show me what I'm doing wrong." That was the last thing they wanted to hear. It showed no fear. And when they did
ride with me, nothing changed. Once they understood I was not going to be scared into skipping my lunch or my break they just left me
alone. Then once I earned that reputation, it just followed me.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
Whats even more funny is when they do a lock in ride and you get a letter in the mail from your DM locking you in at a slower SPORH than you ran before the ride. Signed and all from the DM. LMAO. This really happened to me! It could have all been avoided if they could hire someone in IE with some integrity or the knowledge to do a time study.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
The lockin rides mean nothing. Every day is different, and unless its the exact same day, exact same pkgs, exact same miles, its only a guide as to what they would like you to do. I try to adhere, as I work the same every day. It just doesnt always work, and its not my fault. its their numbers not mine. I do the best I can, based on what happens that day, and I try to stay safe. Numbers are great, I would like to do more than what I am expected, sometimes the moons are not aligning, all customers do not come swiftly to the door, all lights are not green, and all situations are not favorable. Fair days work, I didnt punch anyone.

UpsYours

:wink2:Falsifying records is automatic discharge and the Union may not be able to get your job back..Better off sheeting everything as missed and going home...missed is missed..not lying

Signature Only

Blue in Brown
True. Our local's Principle Officer distributed the summary of 3 arbitration decisions that upheld the concept of "a fair days work" and threw the lock-in rides out the window. Since then, at least in our center, management stopped the lock-in rides and they've been silent ever since.
The lockin rides mean nothing. Every day is different, and unless its the exact same day, exact same pkgs, exact same miles, its only a guide as to what they would like you to do. I try to adhere, as I work the same every day. It just doesnt always work, and its not my fault. its their numbers not mine. I do the best I can, based on what happens that day, and I try to stay safe. Numbers are great, I would like to do more than what I am expected, sometimes the moons are not aligning, all customers do not come swiftly to the door, all lights are not green, and all situations are not favorable. Fair days work, I didnt punch anyone.