A way for UPS, to generate additional revenue.

klein

Für Meno :)
I have an idea to save money.. lets cut out all of the forced overtime

Mine idea is even better.
Give the drivers a whole 1 hr unpaid lunchbreak (10 minutes extra).
That will make the drivers even work faster and harder to keep up, or forfeit it and work for free :biting:

overallowed

typical lack of communication at this place!!! i also had a tracer{follow up} for a Nodic Trac. remember those big pigs?? humped it up ice filled driveway & put on the back porch! Big $$ item.Safe dr..Week later i get the follow up.''.nope we never got it '',Supe says ..yah sure you left it at the right house?? AAAAAH yah ,i remember that place..Couple days later they get new one {with a signature] Week later I go by on trash day,,TWO Norda trac boxes out front!!! I do the right thing & call L.P..guy at house thanks me a month later he got his claim $$$ Unbelievable ??? No U.P.S !!
I had a similar DR claim a few months ago. I delivered to a lady who goes to our church (the gall) a (1) schoolhouse desk (DV $300) from Pottery Barn. She recently had back surgery, as my wife made a dinner for her family while she was in the hospital. As a goodwill gesture towards someone who was on the mend, I placed the large package just inside the front door. They have 2 grade school age children. About a week later, here comes the follow-up for a desk never recieved. I have on the follow-up MC Woman and she still claims non reciept. Claim. Second desk comes in a couple of weeks, signature required (by ups). What was even more wierd, was the day after I delivered the desk in question, her husband (employed at a business I deliver to) asked me "Is my wife still ordering crap?" I told him had made deiliveries to his residence (other items besides desk). He said he was going to put a stop to that. I told all this to the LP guy at our center. He said bottom line was if I couldn,t get her to sign the follow up, they would pay the claim.
Sounds like I got taken for a buy one, get one free, just like you did. If she is ever in the hospital again, they can eat a McDonalds for all I care.

I have an idea to save money.. lets cut out all of the forced overtime

Watch out for what you wish for...UPS may take you up on that. I can see it now. You are forced to come in and punch out in 8 hrs. Then a part-time driver will take your vehicle and finish your route. A unique concept if they could pull it off.

ups1990

Watch out for what you wish for...UPS may take you up on that. I can see it now. You are forced to come in and punch out in 8 hrs. Then a part-time driver will take your vehicle and finish your route. A unique concept if they could pull it off.
Love the idea!! Where do we sign up?

sendagain

This problem with people cheating on weights has been pointed out for years and nobody seems to have done anything about it. I've been retired for five years and this was a pet peeve of mine that I even wrote the CEO on. I guess nothing has been done. Some drivers don't care what the package says when they pick it up, and auditers never talk to or see the drivers. This would be easy to fix, instead we just kiss the money goodbye. STUPID!

klein

Für Meno :)
This problem with people cheating on weights has been pointed out for years and nobody seems to have done anything about it. I've been retired for five years and this was a pet peeve of mine that I even wrote the CEO on. I guess nothing has been done. Some drivers don't care what the package says when they pick it up, and auditers never talk to or see the drivers. This would be easy to fix, instead we just kiss the money goodbye. STUPID!
And don't you think it's funny, when they have the pcm and how to lift boxes properly, and never to go by the weight on the label!

They know it happens all the time, just don't care.

DS

Fenderbender
I have a shipper in my area that sends high value airplane hardware to Honeywell, Mcdonnel Douglas (sp) etc. It's usually 6-8 boxes every week that are about the size of large bar fridges .They do not own a scale,and they use old style waybills.They always write 10 lbs in as the weight.When I brought this to the attention of our head of operations,he nodded,gave me an unconcerned look and said don't worry,we have procedures in place that will catch the discrepancies and bill them accordingly.I know this is a line of crap,so I have given up trying to get this fixed.If they don't care.why should I?
I have become jaded by the know it all mentality that permeates mngmt.

A couple months ago I send a 2day asd to my son. I didn't weigh it. I put 8 pounds on it. A week later I got a weight adjustment letter for 9 pounds and they charged me another $1.83 or so.

brownIEman

I have a shipper in my area that sends high value airplane hardware to Honeywell, Mcdonnel Douglas (sp) etc. It's usually 6-8 boxes every week that are about the size of large bar fridges .They do not own a scale,and they use old style waybills.They always write 10 lbs in as the weight.When I brought this to the attention of our head of operations,he nodded,gave me an unconcerned look and said don't worry,we have procedures in place that will catch the discrepancies and bill them accordingly.I know this is a line of crap,so I have given up trying to get this fixed.If they don't care.why should I?
I have become jaded by the know it all mentality that permeates mngmt.

How is it you know this is a line of crap?
Look at 1989's post. This is an example of an automatic bill for the difference. Happens all the time.

sdf6hr2

although my/our jobs and areas are different, that is exactly what they here ("here" being nda air ramp @ sdf) .... we are allowed to get our guaruntee hrs. only; no overtime unless of course we have bad weather, then we have to stay, "you leave its 'job abandonment'".

several crews of new hires are brought in mid way thru night and are the ones responsible for staying late for clean up, late arrivals, reloads, etc. all to prevent existing senior employees from getting over hrs. and premium time.

fine, i understand the motivation. save money. but, in order to keep me and senior employees like me from getting a few extra hrs. per wk. 'to save money', they have to:

1. hire and compensate an additional employee. (keep in mind that here almost all new employees are in the metro college prog. meaning ups not only pays and insures (after one year), we cover tution, reimburse for books, give housing allowances, award end of semester bonuses, i'm sure the list goes on.)

2. train new employee. i do not maintain that basic ramp work is very complicated or difficult to learn, but: 18 yr. olds + powered equipment + $20 million a/c = white knuckles all night.

3. alluded to above- pay for accidents, injuries and damages. not only are new empls. more likely to have all of the above, the "law of averages" would seem to dictate that more workers = more possible incidents.

4. promote someone to supervise new empls. and theorecticaly (i know, not spelled right) the promoted one would be one of the better existing employees. thereby further reducing the experienced employee pool. i am not sure about supv. compenstion, but i assume that becoming a sup. means getting a raise.

1.-4. all cost something, i am not sure how for each item, but somthing.

i am sure that taking on a new metro college hire for 3 hrs./night to keep me from getting over guarnteed hrs. is a loser financially, however, its being done here. who's to say that this won't be tried elsewhere?....

UPS used to hire AUDITORS who would check packages loaded/ unloaded. I suppose they got rid of this position thinking it was easier to fire the drivers with the UNIONs help rather that employ some common sense and AUDIT for FRAUD.<----I don't think UPS has this division esp not FOR drivers they are concluded guilty until proven innocent by mgmt own eyes and they (mgmt) are covering their eyes with the teamsters contract book in hand.

they are just phishing for new mgmt!!! You will soon be directed by one of these snot nosed know it alls and told YOU don't know YOUR JOB! ENJOY!

You must have been in the GOOD 'ol boys club. My wife woulda been fired first and then reinstated after a hearing and once the pictures of the boxes were seen. but they would deny her the backpay for some obscure scandalous reason and stick it to our FAMILY AGAIN. UPS mgmt. especially "*****" labor manager discriminates against those they don't sleep with or drink with or like. TRy that shoe on for size!

You must have been in the GOOD 'ol boys club. My wife woulda been fired first and then reinstated after a hearing and once the pictures of the boxes were seen. but they would deny her the backpay for some obscure scandalous reason and stick it to our FAMILY AGAIN. UPS mgmt. especially "*****" labor manager discriminates against those they don't sleep with or drink with or like. TRy that shoe on for size!

Is it size 11? What the hell are you talking about? I don't think you are fit for duty.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

UPS used to hire AUDITORS who would check packages loaded/ unloaded. I suppose they got rid of this position thinking it was easier to fire the drivers with the UNIONs help rather that employ some common sense and AUDIT for FRAUD.<----I don't think UPS has this division esp not FOR drivers they are concluded guilty until proven innocent by mgmt own eyes and they (mgmt) are covering their eyes with the teamsters contract book in hand.

they are just phishing for new mgmt!!! You will soon be directed by one of these snot nosed know it alls and told YOU don't know YOUR JOB! ENJOY!

What are you babbling about?

whiskey

Mine idea is even better.
Give the drivers a whole 1 hr unpaid lunchbreak (10 minutes extra).
That will make the drivers even work faster and harder to keep up, or forfeit it and work for free :biting:
Most already forfeit it AND work faster and harder. The rub being more injuries.