A way to beat the 9.5 problem

What'dyabringmetoday???

We had a husband and wife team (both FT drivers) who had a young daughter and ran in to the same issues. The girl knew her grandparents better than she knew her own parents so the wife ended up leaving UPS to go work for the local power company (NYSEG), where she has "normal" hours. I ran in to her the other day and I commented on how she got her smile back and how much happier she looked and she agreed that it was the best thing she could have done. Did they lose money--absolutely--but there are more important things in life than money. The husband is now a feeder driver who works at night so he is able to take care of their daughter when she comes home from school. Summers are still an issue but that is only 3 months as compared to 12.

(On a side note, husband actually resented the fact that the wife chose to leave UPS--all he could see was the loss of income)
We all know you love to give the intimate details of your life, but I bet the feeder driver in your post may not want you to divulge the details of his life. Perhaps I will ask him and see what he says.

Kman845

Back to 9.5 again.....

There are two centers in my building. One center has about 20 bid drivers on the 9.5 list. The other center, mine, has no drivers on it at all.

I remember several months ago this 9.5 list had about five or six drivers on it. Today a driver in my center told me he was on the 9.5 list, but his sup approached him, and advised him "As a Friend" to take his name off the list, or management would "have him in their sights." After hearing this it's no surprise why there is no 9.5 list in our center.

Maybe if drivers were able to exercise their rights under the contract without fear of retaliation from management, we wouldn't have so many people on layoff. Also several drivers (myself included) wouldn't be having their routes busted two or three times a week with others getting 11 and 12 hour days. I would prefer to do MY route, every day, without having to ask someone to go home two or three days a week so I can work!!

This 9.5 language doesn't really fly in our center.

K

Overpaid Union Thug

Back to 9.5 again.....

There are two centers in my building. One center has about 20 bid drivers on the 9.5 list. The other center, mine, has no drivers on it at all.

I remember several months ago this 9.5 list had about five or six drivers on it. Today a driver in my center told me he was on the 9.5 list, but his sup approached him, and advised him "As a Friend" to take his name off the list, or management would "have him in their sights." After hearing this it's no surprise why there is no 9.5 list in our center.

Maybe if drivers were able to exercise their rights under the contract without fear of retaliation from management, we wouldn't have so many people on layoff. Also several drivers (myself included) wouldn't be having their routes busted two or three times a week with others getting 11 and 12 hour days. I would prefer to do MY route, every day, without having to ask someone to go home two or three days a week so I can work!!

This 9.5 language doesn't really fly in our center.

K

Believe it or not the problem isn't just management. Its drivers with no guts and not cojones that are the problem. If we back down from threats then they have us right where they want us.

Kman845

Believe it or not the problem isn't just management. Its drivers with no guts and not cojones that are the problem. If we back down from threats then they have us right where they want us.

I knew a driver that continually stood up for his rights, filed grievances, etc. Management tried firing him many times. Eventually, this driver forgot a panel hearing and was GONZO.

Haven't seen or heard from him since.

As much as I want to stand up for my rights, I don't want to risk putting myself in an unfavorable situation with management resulting in the loss of my job.

If I can last another 17 years, I can get the hell outa here. Can't wait!!!

over9five

Staff member

Hallelujah! This is a huge problem at UPS.

I knew a driver that continually stood up for his rights, filed grievances, etc. Management tried firing him many times. Eventually, this driver forgot a panel hearing and was GONZO.

Sounds like he had ZERO support from his "brothers". Maybe if the rest of you filed with him instead of letting him go it alone....

I really have a hard time with that. Forget? How can you forget something that determines whether you have a job or not?

d

Me too. I imagine he got tired of fighting the good fight ALONE, that he just gave up.

purplesky

Ok we need to go over their heads to beat the 9.5 problem. i have not heard of anyone getting paid for 9.5 grievances in my area.. Most guys wont go over 9.5 or they don't dare file because they know the harassing, ojs rides and the threats will soon follow, it seems ups has jacked around with the time allowance in our area, Routes don't even plan up to 8 hours anymore and drivers are over by 1 to 2 hours Many drivers work off the clock in the morning and or skip their lunch. I know this happens across the nation.

Here is my idea we go over their heads we go to Congress to change several laws.. The democrats are in power and seem to be targeting big business well Ups is BIG.

It's time for change... lets change the time and a half for overtime to Double time it's been time and a half for to long now.

Forced overtime we need to make overtime a choice not be forced to work overtime if we don't want to..

lets start our own letter writing campaign to our members of Congress, I hope we can come up with a script/ form letter I'd be willing to write a letter and get some of my coworkers to write a letter, Ups is taking advantage of us by forcing overtime, taking time away from our families and only paying time and ahalf.... that is not enough they make a big profit by forcing us to work overtime.

One issue is drivers going home all the time. If everyone worked everyday than UPS would put in split cars and service would improve and overtime would be reduced. They have to have extra drivers on hand every day so this would work.

Dustyroads

The crux of the problem is drivers succumbing to the fear of reprisal for filing a 9.5 grievance. If a manager had told me to remove my name from any list for fear of becoming a target, I would first say, take your best shot. The next move would be to speak with a steward, the third step would be to fill out the harrassment grievance. Such threats by management are not tolerated, either by those above them, nor by the union.

It takes drivers standing up to management to beat the 9.5 problem. I can recall back in the old days, when excessive dispatch was defined as three consecutive dispatches in excess of 10 hours, that the same fear tactics were used. If you file a grievance, I'll be gunning for you. Truth is, I'm still here, and they are all gone. And the company never violates the 9.5 rule with me. They know the consequences, and choose not to go there.

959Nanook

I am in no way slamming you, I am lucky that my wife is able to stay home and take care of my three kids. However the Teamsters have not ever approved these long hours! The Teamsters have negotiated language on your behalf that will help to eliminate the long hours or put triple time in to your pocket. It is up to you to file for it. The union cant fix your problem without you filing and informing them that your hours are a problem.

The sad part is that I believe that you believe what you posted. The Teamsters sold me out as a cover driver. Not my steward, not my BA, not my Local... it was much higher than that where they make 100K+ from the dues of my brothers and sisters. The "negotiated language" had so many loop holes in it that it did not take more than an 8th grade education to see that the language was not worth the ink it took to print much less the paper it was printed on. When the Teamster are right... so be it. This is not a problem with me not filing... I am not ALLOWED to file by the Teamsters.

959Nanook

My last post was really not directed at 705red personally... I am happy for the Teamsters that are in jurisdictions where 9.5 is working for Teamsters who file on it. Aside from the fact that I live in a jurisdiction where explicit groups of drivers were excluded in accordance with language in the NMA that authorized the Teamsters to do so AFTER we all voted on the NMA, I am also in a jurisdiction where 9.5 implementation is spotty at best for those allowed to file. The intimidation for even going on the 9.5 list is enough that many drivers won't even go on the list unless they are in the bottom half of seniority and just absolutely tired of the excessive overtime. Frankly, there are times where I just want to be on a darn 11.5 list or maybe even a 12 list some weeks (the only saving grace on those weeks is that I am GUARANTEED a short day on Friday when my DOT hours run out) which in my opinion is one of the biggest weaknesses of 9.5... it is an all or nothing proposition that causes an immense amount of animosity in the brotherhood.

screamin chicken

Something has to be done, we are over worked. I had 166 last night and clocked out at 9:15, today I had 184 clocked out at 10:00 it BS. And Im off tomorrow and my route has 127......

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Something has to be done, we are over worked. I had 166 last night and clocked out at 9:15, today I had 184 clocked out at 10:00 it BS. And Im off tomorrow and my route has 127......

Funny. When I'm off, my stop count goes UP. Wonder why yours is different?

The 127 was what the computer was showing when he punched out last night. Add 30-40 to get his final stop count (unless they add/cut).

Raw

Raw Member
While re-arranging your load, I hope you don't twist an ankle!

NOT on the clock
NOT a workplace injury
NOT a DART Injury (UPS will love you for that!)

Good luck my friend!! DON'T WORK OFF THE CLOCK
All week my loader had to leave about 30 minutes before he was done, so I had to load my car until 9:30 am then do a 9.5 day, cha-ching!