A way to defeat telematics?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Calling them on their cell phones to tell them what they did wrong yesterday? I think that's very bad.

Every minute of production is that sacred. No more pulling a driver aside, on the clock, after route is finished for that 5 minute meeting. It must be done on the clock, so it's on route.

Makes perfect sense, another numbers over saftey issue.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Calling them on their cell phones to tell them what they did wrong yesterday? I think that's very bad.
Thanks Pman, I couldn't agree more. If mgt needs to talk about what I did yesterday they can do it before I leave the building, not while I am on rte!

Every minute of production is that sacred. No more pulling a driver aside, on the clock, after route is finished for that 5 minute meeting. It must be done on the clock, so it's on route.

Makes perfect sense, another numbers over saftey issue.
When they come to me off the clock to discuss anything, I respectfully ask them to wait till I am on the clock. That accomplishes two things, 1) I get paid, as I should, for my time and 2) it pisses them off.

browniehound

The blinking red light on the dash and that irritating beeping doesn't have anything to do with telematics. That just a factory reminder to fasten the seat belt.

yes, but is that linked to the system. if the seatbelt light is on and the beeping sound is on while the seatbelt is fastened, does this record a no seat belt event.

browniehound

I've has one word said to me in regards to telematics. I was fastening the seatbelt when the truck was rolling. I was asked about it and then I stopped. Since I corrected my seatbelt method, I haven't heard a peep.

Its my belief that if you just wear your seatbelt and don't commit any other errors more than once or twice, it's business as usual.

The other hot point here is taking more lunch than you code off. That's fine with me also. I just won't do it.

I have one quick point I want to make. It has to do with idle time and UPS forcing us to take an hour lunch when its 5 degrees for a high. How can they expect us to sit and each lunch for one full hour when its 5 at high noon.

I have a fair solution. Let me not take a lunch or 10 minutes to eat something and I will not idle your truck. Its only fair. Stop prying an hour of my life from me and I won't idle your truck.

Sound fair. Please weigh in.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
yes, but is that linked to the system. if the seatbelt light is on and the beeping sound is on while the seatbelt is fastened, does this record a no seat belt event.

No.

The seatbelt idiot light was installed at the factory. It is not connected with the Telematics.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I've has one word said to me in regards to telematics. I was fastening the seatbelt when the truck was rolling. I was asked about it and then I stopped. Since I corrected my seatbelt method, I haven't heard a peep.

Its my belief that if you just wear your seatbelt and don't commit any other errors more than once or twice, it's business as usual.

The other hot point here is taking more lunch than you code off. That's fine with me also. I just won't do it.

I have one quick point I want to make. It has to do with idle time and UPS forcing us to take an hour lunch when its 5 degrees for a high. How can they expect us to sit and each lunch for one full hour when its 5 at high noon.

I have a fair solution. Let me not take a lunch or 10 minutes to eat something and I will not idle your truck. Its only fair. Stop prying an hour of my life from me and I won't idle your truck.

They cannot force you to take a one hour lunch unless it is for service-related issues (such as late pickups that wont be ready when you arrive due to taking a 1/2 hr lunch.) If you have a mostly residential route, or are able to stay on trace and start your pickups at the scheduled time on a 1/2 hr lunch, then the choice is up to you. We filed a grievance some time ago on this issue and won.

As far as being forbidden from idling the truck to stay warm, you should file a grievance on that one. If they dont want you to idle then they are going to have to allow you to break trace on the clock if necessary in order to find someplace warm to sit, or else provide some other method for providing heat.

The grievance process is there to resolve issues such as these. I suggest you use it.

tourists24

Id say find a warm place for lunch

DS

Fenderbender
Ok so if its like so cold out that not wearing gloves can cause frostbite within 3 minutes and inside the cab with the doors shut and heat on it takes 10 minutes to get up to 40 degrees friend ,I'm not allowed to leave the truck running to eat my lunch? Fact is,on some days the freezing rain builds up on the windshield and NOT leaving it running could result in a serious ice buildup that would make it near impossible to continue safely.
In fact some days its so bad that I have to use the heater on my break to dry my boots while eating while sitting on my feet. Tell amatic this:no:

Coldworld

60 months and counting
They cannot force you to take a one hour lunch unless it is for service-related issues (such as late pickups that wont be ready when you arrive due to taking a 1/2 hr lunch.) If you have a mostly residential route, or are able to stay on trace and start your pickups at the scheduled time on a 1/2 hr lunch, then the choice is up to you. We filed a grievance some time ago on this issue and won.

As far as being forbidden from idling the truck to stay warm, you should file a grievance on that one. If they dont want you to idle then they are going to have to allow you to break trace on the clock if necessary in order to find someplace warm to sit, or else provide some other method for providing heat.

The grievance process is there to resolve issues such as these. I suggest you use it.

I mentioned in another post about ups freight guys on route idling for an hour every day on their lunch...this time of year. I dont see any sensors in their rigs or sups following around these guys...and Im sure that their rigs probably eat more gas in 1 hour than a package car does. Pretty sad, ups micromanages pkg cars on their idle time and the savings goes out the window to freight folks idling for upteen hours a week.

Hebrews11

Sad attitude to take... When you fall out of the package car, because your are to stupid to wear your seat belt, I will let your kids know that you did not recall whether to wear it or not.....:sad-little:

The best way to "defeat" telematics....is for the work group to stand united and refuse to be intimidated or bullied by the harassment.

If every single driver who was confronted with Telematics data simply refused to participate in the discussion...management would have nothing to do but walk around in circles and talk to themselves.

"I dont recall" and "I cannot comment on the validity of your work measurements"....are the ONLY two responses we should offer when confronted with Telematics data.

Do not validate the process by participating in it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Hebrews--you are new here so I will give you a tip. Sober is probably the last person here or anywhere else that you want to have the seatbelt discussion with. Enjoy your day.

over9five

Staff member
LOL!

Three point safety belts are such a waste of money!

<stirring the pot!!!>

Brown Cafe's 10th Anniversary 124 days

Sad attitude to take... When you fall out of the package car, because your are to stupid to wear your seat belt, I will let your kids know that you did not recall whether to wear it or not.....:sad-little:
I suggest yyou do a search on the other telematics threads and see just where Sober stands on those.
Also, if you read the post you replied to, you will see NO WHERE that Sober even suggested one not wear a seat belt.