A whole center team fired?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
You've got to be kidding me big brother with that post
If time cards were altered to reduce the number of hours paid to employees, then that would be reflected in accounting reports.
However, from my experience, fudged numbers were almost always in miles driven, stops, packages, mis-allocation of the above in wrong area numbers, assigning employees to another payroll center/job classification.
These type of fudges are not reflected on cost accounting statements and are not rolled up into balance sheet ledger reports.

Cost Accounting is done in a monthly review while production reports are scrutinized daily.

That's why there use to be (may be still around) the rhetorical saying,
"You want to get your a** kicked everyday or once a month?"

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Time magazine interviewed Fed Ex for the workplace of the future. They don't care about our shoes being spit shined

Interesting post ... Okay, I'll file that away.

Sometimes it is helpful to others if you use the "Quote" button at the bottom of a post that you are replying to.

This appears to have been one of those occasions.

pretzel_man

Time magazine interviewed Fed Ex for the workplace of the future. They don't care about our shoes being spit shined

Their CIO also said that the best way to train for the future workplace is to play World of Warcraft.

Maybe he'll give my kid a job. His shoes look bad and he can play that game pretty well.

P-Man

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Slight off-topic but on topic

My friend/T supervisor told me last March ( infact I posted it here) that because I had an extra week vacation on my paycheck, I "Must" take the vacation.

I told my sup that I did not earn the vacation and did not want it.

The sup told me that payroll said I had to take it and there was nothing he could do.

Now I am short 1 week vacation for this upcoming year, because around the end of April my vaca went to -1. This was all a lie by this sup because he wanted me off the books for the week to make his numbers look better. I'm sure sups or non-union hourlies worked in my absence.

I caught this same supervisor stealing time from me the past several weeks, up to a month. Informed the union and etc, confronted him.

This is the UPS I have come to know and love. 8 years, 3 buildings, 9 centers, many many CMs, 2 districts. All the same song and dance no matter where you go. It's a sad situation really, when you think about the hand over fist profits of UPS.

When hearing the other horror stories, it's amazing the feeling you get when the stories are eerily similar to the point where you could just change the names around and it's the same result.

tworavens

JuniorMember for 24 Years
Ha, my center team is too incompetent to fudge the numbers. It's all they can do to come up with a PCM each day...

Braveheart

Wall Street does not care about about UPS's internal measurements ... Wall Street only cares about the accounting numbers.

UPS has always assiduously kept and reported accurate and conservative bottom line accounting numbers.
Except for that little IRS issue with the re-insurance money they were hiding offshore. UPS had to pay back the IRS like $800-900 million dollars in taxes and fines.

Braveheart

Good. I sure hope they don't stop there. There have been many managers/sups fired in our hub over the last 10-12 years. Shorting guys time cards and so forth.

Too often many just transfered or demoted or lose a stock bonus.

pretzel_man

Except for that little IRS issue with the re-insurance money they were hiding offshore. UPS had to pay back the IRS like $800-900 million dollars in taxes and fines.

As I recall, this statement is not accurate.

The IRS initially won a case saying that OPL was not a seperate company from UPS. This was in 1999 I think. UPS in order to stop penalties and interest from accruing put over $1B in an account for the IRS.

UPS did not admit guilt at that point.

In 2001 (I think), a higher court ruled 2 to 1 in UPS' favor. As far as I know, the money came back to UPS.

In the mean time, UPS decided to no longer do business with OPL. OPL was no longer a viable company since the vast majority of their income was from UPS.

OPL then liquidated.

P-Man

Catatonic

Nine Lives

Wrong but at least you sounded confident :wink2: ... as P-Man said, UPS won that case and the only cost to UPS was our legal costs and management costs.
The OPL/UPS relationship was based on existing IRS laws and precedence of other rulings of pre-existing entities and relationships.

Last edited:

tieguy

Banned

UPS won the case against the IRS. Then settled the pending ones for past years to save litigation costs. I personally wish they would have kept fighting but I guess the costs to do so was too high.

I personally thought ups should have sued the IRS for thier abuse of regulatory power. But I guess we figured the IRS would just try to screw with us in other ways.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
UPS won the case against the IRS. Then settled the pending ones for past years to save litigation costs. I personally wish they would have kept fighting but I guess the costs to do so was too high.

I personally thought ups should have sued the IRS for thier abuse of regulatory power. But I guess we figured the IRS would just try to screw with us in other ways.
A whole lot of people feel that way, which is why they don't make it easy :happy-very:

thelus

Package Car Whipping Boy
Well, i would be the expert on this subject. 1 it would be my center Oak Brook. 2 the body count stands at this: 1 center manager, 2 full time on-car sups. 4 part time sups (2 pre load,2 OMS). the OMS were fired about couple weeks ago before they walked the rest out on Friday, i believe during preload. i find it funny though that they canned the center manager he just took the job a few months ago:surprised:. UPS is also investigating previous Oak Brook Center managers. so tuesday we are suposed to be getting a new management "team". i have a feeling tuesday is going to suck for us Oak Brook drivers :biting: Now to translate this thread for UPS Upper Management,Directors,and Executives: HURR DURP DURPY DE DURP! :happy-very:
¯\(°_o)/¯ ಠ_ಠ

Last edited:

Floridacargocat

Have a few simple question. How come 2 Preload P/T sups are getting involved in this? Did they have access to "adjusting" the time cards or is there more to it?
Next question: Who is going to organise the setup of cars for Tuesday when there was such a drastic purge. Has there been a succession plan in place, pulling sufficiently experienced Preload P/T sups out of the magician's hat? If no, and work will be performed (and achieved) as planned, will this show that a reduction in supervision is achievable? What will be the actual results?
A centre will survive such a purge, as the real influencing personnel (inofficial organisation) will pull it through (that is my experience) in the short-term, but what will come after that?
With all its electronic capabilities, it will still require personnel with an organisational mind, as some very quick decisions need to be taken in order not to obstruct the flow and delivery/service of the goods entrusted to us.
A purge of such an encompassing nature will lead to questions such as:
- Based on which standards were these people involved promoted into these positions?
- Where there any signs indicating such a failure, or was the entire system failing from bottom to top?
- Was the personnel involved foreseen to take the fall in order to "protect" someone on a higher level?
- Suggest to read "Profiles in Courage" by JFK, but this might lead to ethics questions which I do not want to answer in public.
- Yes, UPS is operating in a capitalistic system, where the shareholder wants an answer on his invested capital and a decent return (otherwise he would not invest). But what happens, when the moral basis is slowly eroded due to overriding monetary concerns (leading to questions of sustainability)? Is there a disparity between what the company claims in public and what happens in reality? Or is there a possibility to turn it around and work smarter, not harder?
At UPS, there are undoubtedly many hard workers (also on a part-time basis), but they could be far more efficient if they would be given smarter means to do their work.

storm4

Unfortunately, it's not limited to timecards in the district. "WAR" times are always shuffled around and the pressure not to record actual time is far more intense than the directives to charge all time.

WAR = Weekly Accounting Record
Used in Information Systems for Project Tracking and Reporting.

Last edited by a moderator: