A whole center team fired?

Have a few simple question. How come 2 Preload P/T sups are getting involved in this? Did they have access to "adjusting" the time cards or is there more to it?
Next question: Who is going to organise the setup of cars for Tuesday when there was such a drastic purge. Has there been a succession plan in place, pulling sufficiently experienced Preload P/T sups out of the magician's hat? If no, and work will be performed (and achieved) as planned, will this show that a reduction in supervision is achievable? What will be the actual results?
A centre will survive such a purge, as the real influencing personnel (inofficial organisation) will pull it through (that is my experience) in the short-term, but what will come after that?
With all its electronic capabilities, it will still require personnel with an organisational mind, as some very quick decisions need to be taken in order not to obstruct the flow and delivery/service of the goods entrusted to us.
A purge of such an encompassing nature will lead to questions such as:
- Based on which standards were these people involved promoted into these positions?
- Where there any signs indicating such a failure, or was the entire system failing from bottom to top?
- Was the personnel involved foreseen to take the fall in order to "protect" someone on a higher level?
- Suggest to read "Profiles in Courage" by JFK, but this might lead to ethics questions which I do not want to answer in public.
- Yes, UPS is operating in a capitalistic system, where the shareholder wants an answer on his invested capital and a decent return (otherwise he would not invest). But what happens, when the moral basis is slowly eroded due to overriding monetary concerns (leading to questions of sustainability)? Is there a disparity between what the company claims in public and what happens in reality? Or is there a possibility to turn it around and work smarter, not harder?
At UPS, there are undoubtedly many hard workers (also on a part-time basis), but they could be far more efficient if they would be given smarter means to do their work.
Do you really think the new management team will wait till Tuesday to come in? I'd be will to bet some of them were in the building today.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Re: Mgmt ERO - What would you accept?

I strongly urge you to also pay close attention to the management report back DVD presentation.

Alan Hill said that NO ERO is coming. He also said that layoffs (while not in the plan) are not off the table.

There are 1500 management people without regular assignments right now. The intent is for attrition to deal with this excess.

If attrition doesn't happen, or if the economy gets worse, or if we can't control costs, or if we can't maintain service, or... There WILL be consequences.

P-Man

Looks like attrition is taking place.

slantnosechevy

Well, i would be the expert on this subject. 1 it would be my center Oak Brook. 2 the body count stands at this: 1 center manager, 2 full time on-car sups. 4 part time sups (2 pre load,2 OMS). the OMS were fired about couple weeks ago before they walked the rest out on Friday, i believe during preload. i find it funny though that they canned the center manager he just took the job a few months ago:surprised:. UPS is also investigating previous Oak Brook Center managers. so tuesday we are suposed to be getting a new management "team". i have a feeling tuesday is going to suck for us Oak Brook drivers :biting: Now to translate this thread for UPS Upper Management,Directors,and Executives: HURR DURP DURPY DE DURP! :happy-very:
¯\(°_o)/¯ ಠ_ಠ

Why would they have to fudge numbers in Oak Brook unless other mngmnt. teams were fudging a little at a time over the years eventually boxing their successors into a corner. Oak Brook has to be a high volume retail and business area with high dollar homes with condensed tight routes. Even in a recession volume can't be slipping much there. That has to be a high profit ctr. Air volume alone could support three ctrs.

slantnosechevy

I was waiting for some more information before I jumped on this full throttle. I know the center manager that was terminated. We were both part time together and worked side by side for almost 5 years during that time. He was a great kid, hard worker and a good friend back then.

He was sent to my center about 2 years ago as an on car ups out of IE. he was there about 6 weeks and then was moved, I have not heard from him since.

Now up to about a year ago we were in North ILL until we switched to metro. And what a welcome that switch was! The problem has to lie with the management team of course but in North they do not care how they obtain their numbers just as long as they do.

If the center team was fired then so should the district manager and his guys. They are the most dishonest management team out there. What do they expect, they call you and tell you that you have to hit these numbers no matter what so you cheat. Now i'm not condoning these actions but I can see how and why it happens. And its not the center teams fault!!!

They use fear/scare tactics on the employees and even their sups to gain what they need. Their initials are K.H and C.S, look it up corporate, because instead of firing every center management team in North ill you should know that they are being told to do this from up above. You want to make a point? Cut the snakes head off not the tail!

I believe the guy responsible was the midwest region mngr. who just retired.

thelus

Package Car Whipping Boy
Why would they have to fudge numbers in Oak Brook unless other mngmnt. teams were fudging a little at a time over the years eventually boxing their successors into a corner. Oak Brook has to be a high volume retail and business area with high dollar homes with condensed tight routes. Even in a recession volume can't be slipping much there. That has to be a high profit ctr. Air volume alone could support three ctrs.
you are right the area of the Oak Brook Center is big money. Glen Ellyn, Oak Brook, Oak Brook Terrace, Villa Park, Lombard and Downers Grove are home to some of the largest multinational corporations and also have a lot of industrial areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slantnosechevy
Thelus keyed on the second half of your post, I am keying on the first half.
You are probably right that if the numbers had not been fudged previously, the need to fudge now would not be as great. The(some not all) management people I have known don't give a crap about the people that work at the next desk over, why would they give a whip about boxing in a successor.

cancun

I retired one year ago after 35 years, the last 27 as a business manager. Can't even count the number of mgmt. people terminated for dishonesty I saw in my career. Stupid. No number at UPS is or will ever be worth changing numbers for. The one thing that is most concerning to me is that the DM's above the center management level KNOW this is occurring. They in most cases choose to look the other way so that they cannot be associated or linked to their people changing the numbers. They are at that level a protected species. They don't eat their own at that level. It is the manager and the ft and pt sups who take the bullet( as they should if they were dishonest) but the division manager is still employed. Until division managers are held accountable for the integrity of their management team these dishonest acts will continue and lower level management will continue to be walked out the door.

I retired one year ago after 35 years, the last 27 as a business manager. Can't even count the number of mgmt. people terminated for dishonesty I saw in my career. Stupid. No number at UPS is or will ever be worth changing numbers for. The one thing that is most concerning to me is that the DM's above the center management level KNOW this is occurring. They in most cases choose to look the other way so that they cannot be associated or linked to their people changing the numbers. They are at that level a protected species. They don't eat their own at that level. It is the manager and the ft and pt sups who take the bullet( as they should if they were dishonest) but the division manager is still employed. Until division managers are held accountable for the integrity of their management team these dishonest acts will continue and lower level management will continue to be walked out the door.

Congratulations on your retirement....sounds like UPS needs to thin the herd at the DM level.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
This is parallel to running and gunning. Mgmt looks the other way, until something goes wrong. Numbers, numbers, numbers.

rocket man

I told an on road today when i punched he got a sick look :sick:and asked where it happend i said you find out then i asked for a copy of my time sheet for today and smiled.:happy-very:

sosocal

this is exactly why most management terminations turn very bad in courts of law - UPS is not very good at uniformily distributing "discipline" on it's MGT people - and too many people know what has been tolerated in the past - and who knew....seen it many times

thelus

Package Car Whipping Boy
Update: they just fired the Naperville center manager today. before going to the Naperville center he was the center manager in Oak Brook. looks like 2 CMs are gone from our building.

got to love that attrition.
Even if it is "FORCED?" attrition? LOL
I'm never really happy to see anyone lose their jobs, I think of the hardships on the families. However, it's not like they didn't have it coming, same as when a driver gets caught stealing.

Even if it is "FORCED?" attrition? LOL
I'm never really happy to see anyone lose their jobs, I think of the hardships on the families. However, it's not like they didn't have it coming, same as when a driver gets caught stealing.

So true.

bigblu 2 you

back in the mid eighties a center manager at our center went through 2-3 bottles of "white out"a day,doctoring time cards.we were the top center for a year or so,lots of awards on the walls,etc.then one day a upper level swat team came in asking questions,checking records,etc.needless to say are walls are now barren and the center manager is no longer with the firm.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
back in the mid eighties a center manager at our center went through 2-3 bottles of "white out"a day,doctoring time cards.we were the top center for a year or so,lots of awards on the walls,etc.then one day a upper level swat team came in asking questions,checking records,etc.needless to say are walls are now barren and the center manager is no longer with the firm.

Same thing now adays, though the white-out evolved into backspace or del keys

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
If you lie, cheat and steal you might be gone. If you run the Center concentrating on customer service and employee concerns you are definitely gone.