About Those Planes

FedExer267

I will have to chime in here on this one. I do believe Express employees need to top out quickier and work their 40 instead of Fed Ex hiring part timers to cut back on your hours would a Union help with this Yes.. However you need to know that Ups did not get what they have over night it took a while to get the contract they have today. I personally dont believe Express will ever make the money that a Ups driver does for the simple fact yes it is the same job but not really. The only way that will ever happen is if every entity of Fed Ex becomes one. A fedEx driver is a courier that will deliver air and ground and pick up air and ground. Do 125 to 175 stops a day 400 piecies 150 lb weight limit and 30 to 40 pick ups of both air and ground. Then and only then could it be said we do the same job. That is when we will deserve the 30 dollars a hour they get. I am no fan of Smiths but he figured out a long time ago how to make billions while screwing the little guy. Which is why Ground and home delivery run under a contract model and Part timers are being hired to do Express work is it fair no. But what do I know I am just a Ex Con who dosent shower or shave and deliver for Ground.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
See MrFedex? Now you've gone and hurt 267's feelings.:peaceful:

bbsam,what you don't get, and never have gotten is that Express is much more time sensitive than Ground. If you worked over on this side you'd see the difference it takes to make a truly service-sensitive operation work. Most Ground people couldn't even pass the Express background check. I'm sure you've got some hard-working drivers who'd be very successful at either Express or Ground. Most wouldn't cut-it. Even though FedEx is a delivery service, they do use airplanes, and the planes leave on time. If trucks don't make the airplane, heads roll.

vantexan

bbsam,what you don't get, and never have gotten is that Express is much more time sensitive than Ground. If you worked over on this side you'd see the difference it takes to make a truly service-sensitive operation work. Most Ground people couldn't even pass the Express background check. I'm sure you've got some hard-working drivers who'd be very successful at either Express or Ground. Most wouldn't cut-it. Even though FedEx is a delivery service, they do use airplanes, and the planes leave on time. If trucks don't make the airplane, heads roll.

Which is why most likely Express will continue to exist, deliver overnight only, but continue to pup all Express services, and possibly pup Ground too, freeing up Ground to get their deliveries off. Just hope the union can get us a decent wage if we're no longer fulltimers.

bbsam

Staff member
I think what you don't get is that Ground drivers have the same background check as Express and have for about a year and a half. Yes, time sensitive. I understand. I also understand things like route density and increased revenue and route structure and I tend to have a pretty good sense of how to put them altogether. If my revenue increases by 35% and I have to restructure and add drivers to make commit times, guess what's going to happen? That Ground is not time sensitive at this point is not to say they cannot become so and do it fairly quickly. 35% of my gross would be in the ballpark of around $200,000 so we could probably get it done. Could probably do it for 20%.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I think what you don't get is that Ground drivers have the same background check as Express and have for about a year and a half. Yes, time sensitive. I understand. I also understand things like route density and increased revenue and route structure and I tend to have a pretty good sense of how to put them altogether. If my revenue increases by 35% and I have to restructure and add drivers to make commit times, guess what's going to happen? That Ground is not time sensitive at this point is not to say they cannot become so and do it fairly quickly. 35% of my gross would be in the ballpark of around $200,000 so we could probably get it done. Could probably do it for 20%.

You have CDL drivers who must not only pass the background check, but also the FBI/TSA fingerprinting for carrying HAZMAT? How about I-9 E-Verify?

bbsam

Staff member
You have CDL drivers who must not only pass the background check, but also the FBI/TSA fingerprinting for carrying HAZMAT? How about I-9 E-Verify?
I-9 E-verify yes. We've all had to do it in the last 6 months. Actually had to basically re-apply for the position I've held for 15 years. Hazmat certified yes. FBI/TSA not yet, but I would wonder if the background check would not pick up alot of what any FBI scrutiny would find.