About to hit Medicare..does our insurance as retirees stink?

sendagain

I showed someone who has a lot of knowledge about insurance our healthcare package, and he thinks it is awful; we both hit medicare the same week. Any of you retirees have comparative knowledge about plans that are better than we we have been offered? I know our plan threatens us with the "you can't sign up again" threat should we leave our insurance.

upschuck

Are you talking about retiree insurance or Medicare. Medicare is for people 65+ by the US government. Don't think you can comparatively shop for Medicare.

rod

Retired 22 years
Are you talking about a supplement plan that picks up where Medicare stops? There is no shopping around for Medicare--it is what it is.

sendagain

Are you talking about retiree insurance or Medicare. Medicare is for people 65+ by the US government. Don't think you can comparatively shop for Medicare.
Yes, our insurance becomes a supplement to Medicare, but we might have a lousy plan which is more costly than others. I am wondering if anyone out there has switched to a better plan as our current plan continues to rise in expense.

rod

Retired 22 years
Yes, our insurance becomes a supplement to Medicare, but we might have a lousy plan which is more costly than others. I am wondering if anyone out there has switched to a better plan as our current plan continues to rise in expense.

Are you talking about still working at UPS after reaching Medicare age (65)? If you are the first thing you should do would be to have your head examined. Or are you talking about the Team Care supplemental Plan that is "endorsed" by the Teamsters? Most plans are about $180-$200 bucks if you include a Part D prescription plan. Mine cost $109 for a great Blue Cross/Blue Shield plan but I get any meds I need from the VA so I'm able to save a few bucks there. There are a hundred different plans available. I would recommend contacting your insurance agent - they will help you pick one that suits you (a free service--at least it was for me).

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
This may or may not apply to the OP, but it may come in handy as I am going through this right now. I pay $200.00/month each for my wife and I for TC insurance. I became eligible for MEDICARE Oct 1 of this year. Once you become eligible for Medicare, you are no longer covered by teamcare (per a recording I just listened to waiting 20 minutes to speak to a real live person at TC.) I contacted TC back in early Sept making them aware of my changing status. I was told it was too late to stop the deduction for October, but they would send me a refund check in the meantime and have it corrected for Nov 1. payment. (I still pay for my wife.) Haven't seen any $$$ yet, so I called TC today. Was told, oh, no, that's not the way to handle it. I had to send them a fax (or snail mail) with a copy of both sides of my MC card as well as a copy of my TC card with my employee # on it. So far they have taken out $400.00 of my money needlessly. Wish me luck on trying to get that back.

twoweeled

Doesn't seem to be a lot of useful information on this question. Hopefully someone will come up with some later. It is a very good question. One that will concern most, if not all of us later.
When we go on Medicare after retirement, is our supplement insurance really any good, compared to what else is out there?

trickpony1

When we go on Medicare after retirement, is our supplement insurance really any good, compared to what else is out there?

Could you define ".....our supplement insurance", please?

I could be wrong but it's my understanding that once you turn 65 Teamcare drops you like a hot potato and you enroll on Medicare.

Are you asking this forum for opinions about supplemental policies once you are on Medicare and off Teamcare?

That is an interesting question that will affect all of us at some point. I have heard BC/BS has supplemental plans to augment Medicare. What do they cost? I don't know.

It would be nice if we could have a civilized conversation from retired members here who have supplemental policies and do they like all aspects of said policies.....without the smart ass remarks.

It bothers me that our retirement policy (before age 65) has a $200,000 cap per year/per person. I can get insurance through my wife's job. It has no cap but is 70/30 with some higher deductables.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom

I could be wrong but it's my understanding that once you turn 65 Teamcare drops you like a hot potato and you enroll on Medicare.

Are you asking this forum for opinions about supplemental policies once you are on Medicare and off Teamcare?

That is an interesting question that will affect all of us at some point. I have heard BC/BS has supplemental plans to augment Medicare. What do they cost? I don't know.

It would be nice if we could have a civilized conversation from retired members here who have supplemental policies and do they like all aspects of said policies.....without the smart ass remarks.

It bothers me that our retirement policy (before age 65) has a $200,000 cap per year/per person. I can get insurance through my wife's job. It has no cap but is 70/30 with some higher deductables.
In our locals plan, not Teamcare, we can pay for supplemental insurance through the local when we hit Medicare age.

twoweeled

I'm not at all sure about all this either. It seems, there are very few of us who really understand it. What I hear, and do not know if it's entirely true. Medicare kicks in at 65 years of age. But medicare only covers a percentage of the bill. Supplemental insurance picks up what medicare doesn't pay. I hear that supplemental insurance will pay into, whatever medicare will. If medicare doesn't consider it legit or valid, then the supplemental will pay no part of it. There appears to be different levels of supplemental insurance for different prices. At 65, we lose out basic insurance, because we're on Medicare at that age, but a supplemental kicks in to help with the Medicare. I don't know if we're still paying the same amount for the supplemental, as we were paying for the medical coverage before 65 (about $300 a month). I think what the original question was, Can we do better on a supplemental, then what we are getting on our Union's supplemental plan? Dollar for dollar value, can we do better? I assume we can only get that answer from people who have already reached the age and researched it, or researched it for the hell of it. I don't know, but I am very interested in the answer. Doesn't seem as our medical health insurance is nearly as outstanding as it was. Maybe our supplemental isn't either? Like you, I'm also waiting and looking for answers.
We have a $200,000 CAP??? I thought it was a lot higher than that! I thought at least $500,000. But again, I don't know. $200,000 and we're all in trouble!

ski or die

Ski or Die
In our Local, when you turn 65, Teamcare ceases for you but will continue on your spouse. Medicare Part A which covers hospitalization is free with no premium. It has deductible of approximately $1147 per year. You are able to purchase Medicare Part B through the government. It is wise to purchase it within 6 months of eligibility or each year you delay there is a 10% addition to the premium, this covers Doctor expenses but with deductibles and co-pays. It costs approximately $91 per month. You are able to purchase Medicare Advantage from private insurers to help with co-pays and deductibles that also include dental, vision, and prescription. Also, if you do not purchase the Advantage or Supplemental Policy within 6 months of eligibility, you will have to provide information of past medical conditions which can get you denied, if purchase within the 6 months, you cannot be denied for past medical conditions. You may purchase a Supplement Policy from private insurers that will help cover deductibles and co-pays. The Supplemental Policy usually has better coverages for co-pays, deductibles, nursing home care. Does not cover dental, vision, and prescription. The amount of the deductibles and co-pays it pays depends on which plan you choose with the Supplemental Policy. The better the policy without lower co-pays and deductibles, the higher the cost per month. There are about 8 Supplemental Plans available. You also are able to purchase a Medicare Part D Plan which covers Prescriptions which also has varying degrees of co-pays and deductibles depending on the price of the Plan. My prescription has a $320 deductible per year, costing $14.95 per month and generics are about $4.00 for a 90 day fill. My Supplemental Policy is $105 per month. This plan pays the full $1147 deductible and any necessary medical equipment (crutches, walkers, wheelchairs, my only expense is $20 co-pay for doctors. Recently had hip replacement surgery, total cost was $95,000 ( some complications from pain medicine rtnd me to hosp), I paid $20 for my share of the total bill. There are several companies offering these plans, all have to offer identical coverage, but the companies do vary what they charge for the exact same plans. TeamStar with the Union offers a plan. I purchase mine with Humana. You can also purchase additional vision and dental plans from these companies. Start your research early maybe about 6 months before your birthday because there is a lot to read and comprehend. Be careful giving out phone numbers, because you will be bombarded with Telemarketers.

oldngray

nowhere special
In our Local, when you turn 65, Teamcare ceases for you but will continue on your spouse. Medicare Part A which covers hospitalization is free with no premium. It has deductible of approximately $1147 per year. You are able to purchase Medicare Part B through the government. It is wise to purchase it within 6 months of eligibility or each year you delay there is a 10% addition to the premium, this covers Doctor expenses but with deductibles and co-pays. It costs approximately $91 per month. You are able to purchase Medicare Advantage from private insurers to help with co-pays and deductibles that also include dental, vision, and prescription. Also, if you do not purchase the Advantage or Supplemental Policy within 6 months of eligibility, you will have to provide information of past medical conditions which can get you denied, if purchase within the 6 months, you cannot be denied for past medical conditions. You may purchase a Supplement Policy from private insurers that will help cover deductibles and co-pays. The Supplemental Policy usually has better coverages for co-pays, deductibles, nursing home care. Does not cover dental, vision, and prescription. The amount of the deductibles and co-pays it pays depends on which plan you choose with the Supplemental Policy. The better the policy without lower co-pays and deductibles, the higher the cost per month. There are about 8 Supplemental Plans available. You also are able to purchase a Medicare Part D Plan which covers Prescriptions which also has varying degrees of co-pays and deductibles depending on the price of the Plan. My prescription has a $320 deductible per year, costing $14.95 per month and generics are about $4.00 for a 90 day fill. My Supplemental Policy is $105 per month. This plan pays the full $1147 deductible and any necessary medical equipment (crutches, walkers, wheelchairs, my only expense is $20 co-pay for doctors. Recently had hip replacement surgery, total cost was $95,000 ( some complications from pain medicine rtnd me to hosp), I paid $20 for my share of the total bill. There are several companies offering these plans, all have to offer identical coverage, but the companies do vary what they charge for the exact same plans. TeamStar with the Union offers a plan. I purchase mine with Humana. You can also purchase additional vision and dental plans from these companies. Start your research early maybe about 6 months before your birthday because there is a lot to read and comprehend. Be careful giving out phone numbers, because you will be bombarded with Telemarketers.

So you have A which everyone gets, plus the B and D supplemental plans? Or just the D supplemental? And does that still leave you needing more to cover vision and dental? I am still several years from needing to choose but am definitely confused about the options. I haven't looked at it too deeply yet because it might change in a few years anyway.

And is Medicare independent of when you start drawing Social Security which has different eligibility dates?

ski or die

Ski or Die
I have A, B, and D. A is hospitalization which has no premium, $1147 deductible. B is doctor which premium is around $91 per month with co-pays. D is prescription which is purchased thru a private insurer, mine is $14.95 per month with $320 deductible. I also purchased a dental policy with my Part D and Supplemental Policy which the Supplemental Policy covers all my deductibles and only a co-pay of $20 on doctor visits at his office. Social Security starts the month following your birthday. Your health insurance (Medicare) can start the 1st of the month which your birthday falls in. Teamcare ceases on the last day of the previous month of your 65th birthday. You can delay starting Medicare up to 4 months after your birthday. You can also delay taking Social Security until 70 1/2, the longer you wait to take SS, the larger your monthly payment will be. Studies show if you take it at 62, instead of waiting till 67, at approximately 78 you will start losing money because of the difference in payments.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
So you have A which everyone gets, plus the B and D supplemental plans? Or just the D supplemental? And does that still leave you needing more to cover vision and dental? I am still several years from needing to choose but am definitely confused about the options. I haven't looked at it too deeply yet because it might change in a few years anyway.

And is Medicare independent of when you start drawing Social Security which has different eligibility dates?
O&G, I got a letter from SS in the summer telling me I would go into medicare coverage on Oct.1. It kind of suprised me because of my age (60) I wasn't aware that once you go onto SSI disability, after 2 years pass, you automatically are covered by medicare. Just after Oct 1, I called medicare to verify coverage since I hadn't received my card in the mail. They verified that I was covered by part A, and part B, which costs me $104.90/mo. and that was deducted from my SSI disability benefits. I have until Dec 6th or 7th to opt for gap coverage, any of the supplements available, but they cost, I do believe. Luckily for me, I'm covered under my wife's insurance. She still works and has been carrying me on her insurance for years, at additional cost. Her insurance is my secondary coverage as well as dental, vision and Rx. Basically I went from $200.00/month for my teamcare coverage to $104.90/month. From what I can tell so far, I'm covered better now than when I had teamcare. BTW, I'm still paying TC $200.00/mo for my wife to be her secondary to pick up whatever her ins. doesn't pay. Hope this helps.

oldngray

nowhere special
O&G, I got a letter from SS in the summer telling me I would go into medicare coverage on Oct.1. It kind of suprised me because of my age (60) I wasn't aware that once you go onto SSI disability, after 2 years pass, you automatically are covered by medicare. Just after Oct 1, I called medicare to verify coverage since I hadn't received my card in the mail. They verified that I was covered by part A, and part B, which costs me $104.90/mo. and that was deducted from my SSI disability benefits. I have until Dec 6th or 7th to opt for gap coverage, any of the supplements available, but they cost, I do believe. Luckily for me, I'm covered under my wife's insurance. She still works and has been carrying me on her insurance for years, at additional cost. Her insurance is my secondary coverage as well as dental, vision and Rx. Basically I went from $200.00/month for my teamcare coverage to $104.90/month. From what I can tell so far, I'm covered better now than when I had teamcare. BTW, I'm still paying TC $200.00/mo for my wife to be her secondary to pick up whatever her ins. doesn't pay. Hope this helps.

My question was more along the lines of, at 65 you get kicked off Teamcare to Medicare but you may not be drawing your Social Security yet. Normal retirement age is no longer 65 and keeps creeping higher every year. So in that situation you would be on Medicare but not Social Security (yet). That was in addition of the confusion about which Medicare plans to choose from.

It sounds like you were more in the opposite situation where you were forced onto Medicare because you were getting Social Security disability at a younger age.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Yes, if I remember the wording from teamcare was "when you become eligible for Medicare, teamcare doesn't cover you anymore." They don't care if you sign up or not, I guess.

oldngray

nowhere special
Yes, if I remember the wording from teamcare was "when you become eligible for Medicare, teamcare doesn't cover you anymore." They don't care if you sign up or not, I guess.

Retirees in my local aren't even on Teamcare. We are under UPS/Aetna which was changed (for the worse) to mostly mirror Teamcare. I mail my quarterly premium to UPS. I got some mailings about Teamcare from the union when most people changed a couple of years ago but haven't heard a thing from Teamcare since. Since it does follow Teamcare pretty closely I am pretty sure it switches to Medicare the same ways.

trickpony1

We have a $200,000 CAP??? I thought it was a lot higher than that! I thought at least $500,000. But again, I don't know. $200,000 and we're all in trouble!

The $200k cap (per person/per year)is if you retire prior to 65 and are in Teamcare and are paying $200 for you and $200 for the spouse ( a month).

I think you're right.....an active employee has $500k cap.

rod

Retired 22 years

Medicare is independent of SS. Your Medicare cost (which vary according to your previous income--mine is $98 a month) is deducted from your monthly SS payment. A friend just went on Medicare and his cost is $350 a month but he owned his own very successful business which he just sold for who knows how many millions.

twoweeled

Now that's what I'm talking about! This is information I've been looking for. It sounds like our medical may not be the cat's meow, like we're always told it is. Sounds like you didn't stay with the Union's plan? It sounds like what your getting now, isn't any worse than we're getting now as active employees. We're all in need of this information.
Thanks a lot for all that info!