About to put in my resignation... What should I know?

flyingjalapeno

I have been with UPS since July 26, 2010... I will be putting in my 2 weeks and leave before July, 26, 2015. I still have 4 weeks of vacation that I have not used yet. What do I need to know or do when I put in my 2 weeks?

All I know right now is that I need to get my union withdrawal card.

Thanks

moldsporh

What do I need to know or do when I put in my 2 weeks?

That you are financially stable and are making a rationale decision.

I hope the best for you, I think even a small pay cut is worth it for quality of life.

Make sure you have a good rehire status just in case you MAY want to return.

Working at UPS is extremely stressful at times, but the pay, health care is pretty good.

I don't know what you have lined up, but I do know many people that have left under frustration that would love to come back.

You should seriously consider staying a little bit longer. Correct me if I'm wrong, but by leaving a few weeks early, you're passing up $300 a month when you hit 65. Think of it like this. If you live to be 85, that's $72k you're passing up on by leaving a few weeks early.

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
I have been with UPS since July 26, 2010... I will be putting in my 2 weeks and leave before July, 26, 2015. I still have 4 weeks of vacation that I have not used yet. What do I need to know or do when I put in my 2 weeks?

All I know right now is that I need to get my union withdrawal card.

Thanks
I've been with UPS for 13 years and only have 3 weeks. How do you have 4?

HBGPreloader

You should seriously consider staying a little bit longer. Correct me if I'm wrong, but by leaving a few weeks early, you're passing up $300 a month when you hit 65. Think of it like this. If you live to be 85, that's $72k you're passing up on by leaving a few weeks early.
Yes, you are vested in your pension after 5 years of service. However, you have to be there a helluva lot longer than 5 years to get the $300 per month.
I've been with the company ~8 years now. And, IIRC, my most recent pension statement said I would earn maybe $200 a month if I work to retirement.
This, of course, assumes that there will be a pension fund left to draw from ~20 years from now.

Back to the OP - stick it out a little longer to make sure you get vested in the pension then put in your notice.
I've read here that once you're vested, you may be able to cash it out and take it with you when you leave the company.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Yes, you are vested in your pension after 5 years of service.

I thought vesting went by calendar years. That would give the OP 3 years, the 1st year and last year would not count.

The language is in your local or regional supplement. The following is from the Central Region Supplement, but mirrors what's in my hard copy of the UPS Part-Time Pension Plan Pamphlet (dated 8/13) so I assume it applies to most of the nation:

(2) Part-time employees will receive one (1) year of Credited Service for seven hundred fifty (750) or more paid hours. (Six (6) months of part-time Credited Service will be granted for three hundred seventy-five (375) to five hundred (500) hours worked in a calendar year, and nine (9) months of part-time Credited Service will be granted for five hundred one (501) to seven hundred forty-nine (749) hours worked in a calendar year.)

The OP most likely received vesting credit in 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 (four years). The OP also most likely received at least 6 months credit in 2010 (he would've had to average only 17 hours/week; peak would've put him over this, unless his initial months of employment were dubbed seasonal OR he was laid off much of that time) and would earn 9 months this year if he's averaged the same.

In any event... if the OP wants to receive a $300 monthly pension check, he should ask HR how much credit he's earned then calculate how many hours he should work this year to reach the 5 needed to collect. Depending on how old he is, might not be much but hey, it's free money and won't take much effort to earn.