Absurd lunch rule today

Article37

Thank you all for your opinions. I knew this was selective harassment by my manager. I will post response after I file grievance today. I am going to push it to panel if I have to. If I dont another brother could be next in my center.

over9five

Staff member
Remember, do not drive your PC to your house until this gets resolved. You still have to work as directed.

I really like the idea of leaving the PC and walking to your house.
3/4 of a mile is nothing!

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
that c.m is testing yah!! he is probaly out on the golf course right now on Browns time laghing his stones off !!! Don't woryy drivah he will get his some day & we all know the big wave makers eventually get eaten up by another Brown shark !!!!

happyboy

Have your wife or your neighbor order something cheap via ups signature req... Not in 3 days in a row,, call 800 num for redel. not in starts all over...... lol del on the 4th or 5th day then get a call tag for pick up... start the not in routine all over again, that will learn him.:sword:

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Remember, do not drive your PC to your house until this gets resolved. You still have to work as directed.

Me Too!!

Have your wife or your neighbor order something cheap via ups signature req... Not in 3 days in a row,, call 800 num for redel. not in starts all over...... lol del on the 4th or 5th day then get a call tag for pick up... start the not in routine all over again, that will learn him.:sword:

Very good suggestion.

Article37

Re: Absurd lunch rule FOLLOW-UP

Filed harassment grievance today. I told him I would rip it up if he gave me the same allowance as everyone else to have the option to have lunch on route at my house. He said no. "Lunch at my home can only be done when its on trace as listed in EDD." Since trace is so screwed up I was given the option to re-trace my route to put my home within the 4th and 5th hour and take lunch at home. I'll do it.. if it will give me 30 minutes extra a day with my baby and wife.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
Yes they have; 200 is the new 0.
Yep.I remember when a driver could scratch a route.Ever since the infamous time allowance scam from about 4 yrs ago,you get investigated for scratching a rte(must be running up miles).My supe couldnt scratch his own butt with both hands when he drove,but he still cries daily about overallowed.

Cementups

Box Monkey

"Lunch at my home can only be done when its on trace as listed in EDD."

that's BS. I have a rural route and I have to leave trace in order to go get lunch. i stay on my area but have to drive about 3 miles roundtrip to get to my lunch spot. My area has 3 restaurants in it and they are all right next to each other and a grocery store that is another mile away.

Years ago I used to cover a route that had nothing acceptable to eat on it. We bitched to high hell. First they told us we could go just outside the border but i was all fastfood so we made the argument that those establishments did not fit into UPS HABITS ideals. Eventually they agreed to let us travel one (1) mile outside of our area. that gave us enough room to go to the local mall and grab lunch and gave us more options.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

"Lunch at my home can only be done when its on trace as listed in EDD." .

Next time you have to take a dump, call your manager up and ask him if you can break trace to find a bathroom or would he prefer that you just leave him a steaming pile in the back of the truck so as to keep up your SPORH. I know this sounds stupid and childish, but if that is the way your sup wants to be then you might just have to stoop to his level.

tieguy

Banned

me to. Now this leaves them in an uncomfortable situation of having an unattended package car.

You're getting some interesting advice here some of which may paint a bullseye on your back.

Find out what the rules are for breaking trace during lunch. I would think there would be some type of general rule that applies.

I would imagine we would have to allow those on rural routes more leeway since they do not have facilities in rural areas.

If your route has many options for taking lunch on area then your sup may be right in insisting you keep the car on route. In that case walking is your best option.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Find out what the rules are for breaking trace during lunch. I would think there would be some type of general rule that applies.

I would imagine we would have to allow those on rural routes more leeway since they do not have facilities in rural areas.

There is no hard and fast rule other than common sense and reasonable people sitting down and being logical instead of being petty jerks and tyrants.

I have heard the term "one mile" thrown about as a general guideline, but there isnt anything in the contract.

I broke trace almost 2 miles the other day to go to a dentist appointment. My dentist is on my route; I schedule my appointments for lunch hours instead of taking days off or calling in sick, which makes life a lot easier for my supervisor; sometimes that means I have to drive a couple of extra miles to make it all work. 3 extra miles vs. a staffing problem, service issues and an untrained cover driver on my route? Its a no-brainer. Common sense wins again.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
"common sense" ----what does that have to do with UPS? :happy2:
all common sense shall be left at the guard shack!! thank you your center team !!!!

I was allways told we can go 1 mile off rte for a lunch !! think it may be in contract ........... any one have THE BIBLE out to look it up !!!!

upsdude

I live on route and go home every day, matter of fact, I'm home for lunch as I type.

center manager sometimes leaves wrong car packages (that belong to my route) on my back porch and has the OMS message me.

stringerman85

My center manager told me today that I can no longer go home for lunch. I live on route and would only be driving 3/4 mile to my house from my last stop. I have filed a number of 9.5' and believe I am been targeted selectively by him now. My shop steward recommends filing a harassment greivance tomorrow. I have been driving to lunch whether at home or to fast food for the last 12 years (always on rte). What do you think?

I don't understand how he knows that you are going home at all? Especially if you are on route still then it really shouldn't stand out to him...Are they spying on ya?

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I live on route and go home every day, matter of fact, I'm home for lunch as I type.

center manager sometimes leaves wrong car packages (that belong to my route) on my back porch and has the OMS message me.

Our guys here in South Florida files a grieveance about MGMT handling/moving misloads from one driver to the next and won. Our MGMT won't touch pkgs that are misloaded and will even ask that you meet the driver or deliver it yourself. Those miles do wonders for your time allowance. I once delivered a pkg 20 miles roundtrip and stopped at my house for lunch on the way back because I drove right by, but normally stay on area. Article37, maybe you should just make nice with a bunch of restaurant mgmt and reap the benefits of their generosity.:happy-very:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I may catch flak for this, but I personally don't have a problem with mgt shuttling left in buildings or misloads between drivers as long as they don't deliver any of them along the way. My pkg car is grouped with 2 others for loading purposes. Those 2 cars deliver to Lake Placid, which is about 1 hour from our center, and this is where most, if not all, of my misloads occur. My regular loader is super and misloads are kept to a minimum but he has begun cover driving so he may load 2-3 days out of the week. His replacement (picture Waldo) is less than stellar, not due to lack of effort, just lack of skill, so misloads go up significantly. Our center manager or on-car will drive up to Placid to either bring their misloads to them or pick up misloads for me and will either find me or leave them on my area for me to P/U and deliver. They may also ask the Placid driver to deliver the misloads (residential) when they get back in to town.