Abuse of Bid Drivers / Seasonal Drivers

S

selfcancelsignal

Having a training route is like being a cover driver. They can pull you anytime they want.
This is precisely why I like mine. It has some bulk (which only a few are a PITA each day), but only 2 secure apartment buildings & the rest DR resi's. Plus, I've learned all but 4 of our center's routes, & I like a little gravel travel from time to time.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
ARTICLE 48 section 6 Southern Supplment

SECTION 6- PACKAGE DRIVERS - JOB SELECTION(A) Bid Routes : All routes shall be bid. There shall be a minimum of two (2) training delivery routes and a maximum of ten percent (10%) training delivery routes in each package center. The purpose of the training routes, is to train probationary package car drivers and temporary cover drivers. The training delivery routes shall be designated by the employer and listed as such on the center bid list. Should there be a need to change these training delivery routes, the employer will notify the Local Union. Package car drivers not holding a bid route will cover for vacations, options, personal holidays, sick days, and other absences of the regular bid drivers, or to cover overflow work.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
ARTICLE 48 section 6 Southern Supplment

SECTION 6- PACKAGE DRIVERS - JOB SELECTION(A) Bid Routes : All routes shall be bid. There shall be a minimum of two (2) training delivery routes and a maximum of ten percent (10%) training delivery routes in each package center. The purpose of the training routes, is to train probationary package car drivers and temporary cover drivers. The training delivery routes shall be designated by the employer and listed as such on the center bid list. Should there be a need to change these training delivery routes, the employer will notify the Local Union. Package car drivers not holding a bid route will cover for vacations, options, personal holidays, sick days, and other absences of the regular bid drivers, or to cover overflow work.

So in the Southern, they cannot pull you off your training route and let a seasonal run it.

The Central only says that these employees will work as assigned when the employer is training on their area. Does not specify probationary only.

It does say that they must be used on a rotating basis.

Article 3 Section 8

alwaysRTS

Shop Steward
I agree with Rider. If the peak driver has driven prior peak seasons then there is no need to "train" them again. Sounds like you should be doing your route. That's how it's handled in the area where I work.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
So in the Southern, they cannot pull you off your training route and let a seasonal run it.

The Central only says that these employees will work as assigned when the employer is training on their area. Does not specify probationary only.

It does say that they must be used on a rotating basis.

Article 3 Section 8
Yep, problem is getting the ones that get violated to file instead of whining.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Training route or not. If it were running. I would be on it. Unless it is a newly hired driver. Xmas is not training. Training is over by then. All areas are done by the bid driver. Again. Sounds like UPS is making their own rules. They will get away with it till someone steps up. Most don't

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Training route or not. If it were running. I would be on it. Unless it is a newly hired driver. Xmas is not training. Training is over by then. All areas are done by the bid driver. Again. Sounds like UPS is making their own rules. They will get away with it till someone steps up. Most don't

We have a bid driver who is forced off of his training route every Peak. He likes the change of scenery and the seasonal driver gets a consistent mostly residential run for Peak.

PT Car Washer

Although I am not a Seasonal or temp driver, the last few years Center manager would give me another drivers pick ups so that driver could be loaded up with deliveries. Seemed to work well.

Rainman

Its all good.
Where I am, anyone, including me with a normal bidded route, can be pulled to run anything in November and December. What kind of job I would do, well, that's another question.