Abusive INTEGRAD trainer gets owned by 2 union officials

It's not easy to disqualify them if they put in a valiant effort. I went through it, and personally I thought it was a blast
If they don't like you they can disqualify you on a technicality. It used to be you at least got to try to qualify but now they can send you home before you even get on road. This in my opinion is to much power for the company to have with a member who has a decade or more already in with the company. Then when they are disqualified and have to wait another year that is just not right. I've seen it happen so don't say it doesn't so it should be covered in the collective bargaining agreement.

OptimusPrime

It's not easy to disqualify them if they put in a valiant effort. I went through it, and personally I thought it was a blast

Would be interested to hear a summation of the process. From what I hear, it's completely over the top, includes book work outside of the class, in general isn't "real world", and say if I had to go, I would have to travel to Chi-Town from Indianapolis. And like others have mention, they are just itching to DQ people, never even getting a shot to show their real deal. I mean, memorizing all the safety crap they tell you is one thing. Being a good real world safe efficient driver is another.

barnyard

KTM rider
I've seen it happen so don't say it doesn't so it should be covered in the collective bargaining agreement.

The company will counter with: the union has to pay for all accident and injuries that forced hires have. None of us have a right to a FT job at UPS. As PTers, we have a right to try, but there is no guarantee for success.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Would be interested to hear a summation of the process. From what I hear, it's completely over the top, includes book work outside of the class, in general isn't "real world", and say if I had to go, I would have to travel to Chi-Town from Indianapolis. And like others have mention, they are just itching to DQ people, never even getting a shot to show their real deal. I mean, memorizing all the safety crap they tell you is one thing. Being a good real world safe efficient driver is another.

When has UPS ever cared about "real world" reality?? This is blatantly clear with the allowances that ie tries to shove down our throats on a daily basis...

beentheredonethat

UPS invests a lot of money in training a driver. When we DQ a potential driver we already invested money in this person. However, it's cheaper for UPS to get rid of a driver who will be a liability in the future. People who are likely to get in accidents, or injuries, or with a bad attitude that will cause customer complaints. The driver is the face of UPS to our customers. You interact with our customers every day. The vast vast vast majority of drivers are appreciated by our customers and is one large reason why they stay with us. Hiring a person who is not at the same level (in our customers eyes) will hurt UPS, which hurts all UPSer's.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
UPS invests a lot of money in training a driver. When we DQ a potential driver we already invested money in this person. However, it's cheaper for UPS to get rid of a driver who will be a liability in the future. People who are likely to get in accidents, or injuries, or with a bad attitude that will cause customer complaints. The driver is the face of UPS to our customers. You interact with our customers every day. The vast vast vast majority of drivers are appreciated by our customers and is one large reason why they stay with us. Hiring a person who is not at the same level (in our customers eyes) will hurt UPS, which hurts all UPSer's.

I agree with you if this was the real world and not ups world..they do spend lots of money on training but will try to fird someone on the smallest honest mistake....which would tell me in most situations they don't care aboutt the driver or the investment made in them. Secondly, UPS sells the customer our relationship with them and fully knows that customers stick with us because of the drivers..but theyt (UPS) are the first ones to question that relationship. Imo, UPS has never fully respected the customers....its always have been the drivers and the sales people.....never operations

steward30

I agree with anonymous. I have also seen new service providers disqualified at integrad. They told me that it was horrible.they said integrad instructors sent one guy home because he wasn't shaven up close enough for there standards.and that if. Uniform isn't pressed to there standards they will send people home. I personally think its sad that part timers wait all them years to only hope to get a driving job.it shouldn't even be called training if there going to have pass or fail grade in the course. Training is to show someone how to do something not to fail them on it. And also if you are one of the lucky ones to pass. And you get back and start driving then u still have 30 more days that you can get disqualified.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I agree with anonymous. I have also seen new service providers disqualified at integrad. They told me that it was horrible.they said integrad instructors sent one guy home because he wasn't shaven up close enough for there standards.and that if. Uniform isn't pressed to there standards they will send people home. I personally think its sad that part timers wait all them years to only hope to get a driving job.it shouldn't even be called training if there going to have pass or fail grade in the course. Training is to show someone how to do something not to fail them on it. And also if you are one of the lucky ones to pass. And you get back and start driving then u still have 30 more days that you can get disqualified.

They enforce the uniform standards there, much more strictly than they do even at my hub. However, they tell you that the very first day and will cut you some slack, but if you don't adjust to what they tell you, then yes they will flunk you out of it.

My DM is no less strict with our uniform compliance than integrad was.

stink219

We need to get some language in the next contract on Intergrad. It's to easy to disqualify people there.

I disagree.

The company is free to set it's own hiring standards. It is only the union's business after a person makes seniority.
This is incorrect. Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 says a company does not have the right to select the standard on an individual basis.

stink219

giving Integrad over to the Teamsters would be the death of the company
Really now? I think the Teamsters tractor traitor training program has been invaluable for UPS. Proof that drivers should be training drivers. Not some incompetent manager that hasn't driven since 1979.