Accepted PT am air job but...

opie

I accepted a PT eam air bid. Was told by HR/union I can bid on another job at any time, a PM air job, when it comes up. But after reading my supplement, I actually have to wait six months. So I was misinformed. So now I want to turn it down. So I should be able to go back to my shift, and not be penalized?

PT Car Washer

I accepted a PT eam air bid. Was told by HR/union I can bid on another job at any time, a PM air job, when it comes up. But after reading my supplement, I actually have to wait six months. So I was misinformed. So now I want to turn it down. So I should be able to go back to my shift, and not be penalized?
Do you know there will be a PM air driver job bid in the next 6 months? Do you know you will win the bid if it does come up? What pays more your inside job or air driver job?Take the AM job because at least you will be in the classification if a PM job is bid.

opie

Do you know there will be a PM air driver job bid in the next 6 months? Do you know you will win the bid if it does come up? What pays more your inside job or air driver job?Take the AM job because at least you will be in the classification if a PM job is bid.

PM job will likely open in the next month or two. Took AM in the meantime, but prefer PM. I would likely win the PM bid if and when it comes up. I'm air driving now, but it's not permanent. I'm supposed to start this week with the AM job. Not sure if I should come in, because I don't want to be stuck in the AM.

opie

There probably won't be another PM bid after 6 months time. They are really rare in my building.

Rack em

Made the Podium
Do you plan on going into FT driving? If so then I would stay with am air so you get experience delivering and working the diad. I know at our center all the pm air driver does is take the air to the airport and doesn't actually deliver anything. Just a thought

By The Book

I wonder why HR/Union feel you can bid on another job at any time.......probably because you can. You may not get the next bid but you sure can put your name on that there list partner! You can bid the pm air driver job and might get it. If it has a higher rate of pay....it may come with a shift differential. This makes the hourly rate more. Call your local and get this clarified with your business agent.

Box Ox

Do you plan on going into FT driving? If so then I would stay with am air so you get experience delivering and working the diad. I know at our center all the pm air driver does is take the air to the airport and doesn't actually deliver anything. Just a thought

Yep. For an aspiring FT driver, PM air is good if you've already done AM air and/or seasonal full time driving and want an experience as close as you can get to feeder driving in package when it comes to physical exertion. You're in, you're out, you're barely even working. But you're not making much either. PM on its own will in no way get you ready for any other driving job.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The PM air driver may also sweep drop boxes but you are right in that the AM job would be better if the goal is to become a FT driver.

Arch

How many years of seniority does it usually take to get into air driving? How about Saturdays?

I'm thinking about doing it for the experience, but if the wait is as long as FT ground driving (10 yrs at my area) then forget it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

How many years of seniority does it usually take to get into air driving? How about Saturdays?

I'm thinking about doing it for the experience, but if the wait is as long as FT ground driving (10 yrs at my area) then forget it.

The wait to become an air driver is considerably shorter.