Accepting a text message as a call out

Big Babooba

Adults should have the common courtesy to pick up the damn phone and talk to each other.

Adults should have the common courtesy to ANSWER the damn phone! It is funny that the phone can ring for 5 minutes around the call in deadline. I called in once and I was told that I called in too early. I was told to call in a half hour later when the supes started coming in. I called back later and guess what? -NO ANSWER!

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Employees should always be willing to actually call in. That being said, my first FT manager (who was fired when he was promoted to run a smaller package center for stealing time) would literally refuse to let me call in. The conversations would go a little like this:

PiedmontSteward: Hey man, I'm sick and need to burn a day.
FT Manager: I'm sorry, Piedmont. I can't do it.
PiedmontSteward: What the hell do you mean? I'm pissing out of my ass. I can't come into work.
FT Manager: I just can't do it. You gotta come in.
PiedmontSteward: *click*

I started calling him during his pre-sort meetings when his phone was off and would leave a voicemail, then I'd cut my phone off. It worked until he was transferred, then I could call my new FT supervisor and he acted like an adult.

Most PT'ers won't actually call in because of all the bull**** they catch when they do - a few are just lazy as hell. As a steward, I always tell people to call in at least an hour before the sort - period.

KBlakk

Overworked & Underpaid
Employees should always be willing to actually call in. That being said, my first FT manager (who was fired when he was promoted to run a smaller package center for stealing time) would literally refuse to let me call in. The conversations would go a little like this:

PiedmontSteward: What the hell do you mean? I'm pissing out of my ass. I can't come into work.

I started calling him during his pre-sort meetings when his phone was off and would leave a voicemail, then I'd cut my phone off. It worked until he was transferred, then I could call my new FT supervisor and he acted like an adult.

Most PT'ers won't actually call in because of all the bull**** they catch when they do - a few are just lazy as hell. As a steward, I always tell people to call in at least an hour before the sort - period.

You are the type of steward that I like to work with, there's a difference in a contract violation and violation of common workplace courtesy such as calling out sick in an appropriate and timely manner. Thanks for your insight.

stink219

I'm not kissing anyone's ass----who the hell do you think you are that we feel as though we need to explain ourselves to you??
Who the hell do you think you are thinking that I include you in a statement when addressing a manager that I know is full of it. I do read through arbitration cases you know.

Asskicker

Just a note to the guy saying it could be anyone on the phone....not so. Anyone who is familiar with the phone system knows an outside call rings twice. A supervisor or someone calling inside the operation the phone has a single ring. And sups use their cell phones these days anyway. Who do you think your foolin Jack?

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder

We have to call out at least an hour before, unless you are unable or circumstances do not permit (sudden onset etc), but in Feeders the call in period for them to pull drivers from Package is 6:00-6:45 so usually you would want to call in prior to that period so they can call someone in if they need to. Even better is letting them know as you punch out that you won't be there tomorrow.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
Adults should have the common courtesy to ANSWER the damn phone! It is funny that the phone can ring for 5 minutes around the call in deadline. I called in once and I was told that I called in too early. I was told to call in a half hour later when the supes started coming in. I called back later and guess what? -NO ANSWER!

In that case i would just note the name of the person you contacted and tell them to forward the message. If they refused I would not call back, as you have fulfiled your obligation to "notify the Company" not a supervisor or any particular supervisor.

stink219

Who the hell do you think you are thinking that I include you in a statement when addressing a manager that I know is full of it. I do read through arbitration cases you know.

...and people say I don't have a life?

Dragon doesn't owe you anything.
It because I work for the union. Dragon made a statement, I wanted an example, he refused to supply it, I think he's full of it, I forgot about it, I won't get on his case. But you sir put your nose in others business. Stop being a corporate kiss :censored2:. Your still going to have to deliver stops on Monday smootcher. Are you the guy that goes into the managers office to bring him his daily coffee so you can explain how hard you worked, how many stops you did and how much under scratch you were the day before?

GameCockFan

I'm in feeders. My sup will accept a text as a call in. I try to send as early as possible to make it easier to fill( contractually obligated to call-in at least 1 hour prior). If I don't receive a response I will always follow up with a call to confirm.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I'm in feeders. My sup will accept a text as a call in. I try to send as early as possible to make it easier to fill( contractually obligated to call-in at least 1 hour prior). If I don't receive a response I will always follow up with a call to confirm.

So if you have to call to confirm why not just call in the first place?

Nimnim

The Nim
I'm not going to get into whether or not texting or calling a sups phone is acceptable, but I'll just throw something out for those people who say it becomes he said she said when someone denies getting a call/text. Any phone plan I've been on allows me to look at the documented call/text history from the service provider. I'm sure there's some prepaid phones that won't but any regular plan with a billing cycle will have it on record and that will prove that a call/text was made. Call records will also give duration, which doesn't start until a connection is made not just ringing.

Edit: And just for the record, I actually call my sort managers line, which may go to voicemail. Depending on my relationship with my PT sup I may send them a heads up text as well.

Last edited:
IMO texting should be considered a reliable way of notification for a sick day or communication between employee and management. I am basing this on the fact that management will call you on your personal cell phone in order to wake up a late employee for the preload, or to relay information to drivers. If someone wishes to use my personal phone to get ahold of me, I will in return use their phone for the same.

Also I have to text out sick and I did clear it with my supervisor before I did it. I start work at 1pm and beat my bosses to work by 4 hours, so there is no one to call out sick to.

TxRoadDawg

personally id prefer an answering machine on one of the lines for call ins. I will not acknowledge any calls or messages from anyone when I'm not in the building and/or on the clock. I will say texting does save the 5 minutes worth of bs about the car wont start, wife ran off, or some stomach troubles. I could care less about the excuse, just say you ain't coming. not like we can force anyone to show up...

GameCockFan

So if you have to call to confirm why not just call in the first place?

I don't have to call to confirm. I call if I don't receive a response. No different from leaving a voicemail. If I don't get a response to voicemail, I call another sup in a nearby hub to verify. There isn't a feeder sup in my building. He covers four different small to medium sized centers. Never know where he is going to be. I know it's not going to be my center( only 7 feeder drivers).

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
If a deal is made with your management that you can text-in, fine...whatever. It won't ever be the widespread or common way of handling call in's. There has been too much anecdotal evidence being used as examples here. These are just specific situations. The general practice should be that people call-in the way people are supposed to call in. If there's nothing keeping you from talking to someone, you need to talk to someone.