Accepting a text message as a call out

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
If a deal is made with your management that you can text-in, fine...whatever. It won't ever be the widespread or common way of handling call in's. There has been too much anecdotal evidence being used as examples here. These are just specific situations. The general practice should be that people call-in the way people are supposed to call in. If there's nothing keeping you from talking to someone, you need to talk to someone.
Deals is what muddy the waters, hence why I make no deals and work by the policies given to me, which includes calling into the hub minimum 1hr before start time.

balland chain

My major pet peeve with this is accountability, it becomes a he said she said situation. It also opens doors for other problems (ex. alleged harassment) via text message.
How can it be a he said she said ?? Just do not delete the messages,,if there is a message from an employees phone that contains inappropriate context, save it. Same for messages sent from MGMT to hourly...All parties will be held accountable..

upsdude

I've sent in a text to the PDS sup at 5:00 AM to let him know I won't be in. My text is followed up around 7:00 AM with a call to the center manager or delivery sup. I text the PDS guy for a couple reasons, he could be ( and generally is ) away from his desk and in the operation. Additionally, if he's thinking of adding a route my absence could impact that decision. Some drivers text their call in, the sups hate it, I always laugh and ask them why they tolerate it in the first place. I guess I'm old school, if I'm sick enough to call in, I'm man enough to talk to the sup about it directly.

Notcool

I have never understood the calling in a hour before the sort. Like they need time to get a replacement. I call say my name and that I wont be in and hang up before they even think about spouting bs

bsmart

I have never understood the calling in a hour before the sort. Like they need time to get a replacement. I call say my name and that I wont be in and hang up before they even think about spouting bs

I never give my guys a hard time about calling in when I get the phone but I do document every single attendance issue...late or call-in.

KnowTice

I'm a 22.3 in Ontario and I always call the phone like you're supposed to but there are a lot of folks who just text their supervisors. I've seen some instances where the sups tell them to call to talk to a full timer but the texting to call off sick is something that is taking place because the sups are the ones asking for our cell phone numbers so it gradually became that way with people calling off sick. I'm seen FT sups also texting with employees and are okay with people calling off that way.

BMWMC

B.C. boohoo buster.
If a supervisor or other management personal has texted a workers phone at anytime or at any point during any work day the texting become a valid form of employee employer communication. If an employee subsequently text's that supervisor and manager about a call in it becomes is a valid form of notification.

UPS can't have it both ways though they always want it that way.

brownIEman

If a supervisor or other management personal has texted a workers phone at anytime or at any point during any work day the texting become a valid form of employee employer communication. If an employee subsequently text's that supervisor and manager about a call in it becomes is a valid form of notification.

UPS can't have it both ways though they always want it that way.

I would agree with your statement.
But do not forget confirmation that your message was received. The key here is communication, and part of communication is to ensure that your message has actually been received. So a call out text can only be considered valid if you get confirmation back. Just as, if a member of management texts a drivers cell to make a pick up, there is no way that management person could realistically hold the driver accountable for missing said pickup if there was no confirmation, the driver could very easily have missed the message. You can't keep from accountability on unconfirmed texts, while at the same time holding UPS accountable for unconfirmed sick text-ins. You can't have it both ways, though some employees always want it that way.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less

Attendance is one of the few (likely one of the only) issues that I actually tend to side with management. Contractually, the union agreed with the company that an employee should call in an hour before the sort -- this is so that the company can staff their operation correctly (hopefully, with double shifting PT'ers that want to work) and not have supervisors performing bargaining unit work. Granted, this is something that (in practice) rarely happens, but its been happening in my area and sort lately when we're understaffed.

I've gone out of my way to explain to PT union members with chronic injuries/medical issues (I represent a lot of folks that are 15-20+ years older than I am) how to file FMLA and what their rights are.. if someone has a chronic medical condition, that's what FMLA (along with taking care of ill children/spouses/etc.) is for rather than constantly calling in without any sick days to burn. Otherwise, there's no excuse to see some of the attendance issues I've dealt with as a steward.

Then again, when I see a (scab) employee with an attendance problem call in to say they're going to be late and get out of a write-up by bringing the FT supervisor a Big Mac, I don't really have much sympathy when my area managers complain about the attendance of my members..

bsmart

Then again, when I see a (scab) employee with an attendance problem call in to say they're going to be late and get out of a write-up by bringing the FT supervisor a Big Mac, I don't really have much sympathy when my area managers complain about the attendance of my members..
and he ate it... nope not this guy... that thing probably had some secret sauce for real....