Accepting and/or declining a route you won...

Grey

There are two routes up for bid in our office area and one has 13 names and the other has 4. Obviously one is crappy and the other is decent.

My question is how many guys put their name on there for the hell of it and end up declining it without trying it?

(and)

How long does each driver get to try the route out before accepting or declining it thus giving the next driver a try at it?

Is the next guy notified right away and how long until they move in again?

Thanks...

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Both good answers. There is no trial period, you bid it, you win it, you run it. Couple guys like to play games a few years ago by signing bid sheets and declining when asked, a week later. Management finally got tired of being nice and forced one of them to run a crap route that went up they signed.

They greived and lost.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Might I add, you can't rebid till 6 months later as well.
Different in all kinds of places. Here we bid for life. You can win 3 bids in a year.

Also they usually give you 5 days to try out a route. If you don't want it it goes to the next guy. This is how I got a retirement route 5 years in. Guy won bid and I was #2. Two 12 hour days later it was my route.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Different in all kinds of places. Here we bid for life. You can win 3 bids in a year.

Also they usually give you 5 days to try out a route. If you don't want it it goes to the next guy. This is how I got a retirement route 5 years in. Guy won bid and I was #2. Two 12 hour days later it was my route.
Nice, down here we have open bids every two years, except this bid its 3.

rod

Retired 22 years
We had something like a week to decide if we wanted the new route after you had a chance to run it and the company had like 2 weeks to decide if you could handle the route. We also had a few guys who signed everything and then just before the bid was up they would scratch out their names. Our mechanic signed every bid but apparently wasn't eligible because he's still the mechanic today.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member

Would not like that at all. Here package bids every year, feeder bids every 6 months.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Would not like that at all. Here package bids every year, feeder bids every 6 months.
We bid for life. If you win a bid you can decline it, You cannot go back once you take it. The only time they come up for bid here, is if one dies, retires, leaves, or gets fired.

Overpaid Union Thug

We are bidding right now and I FINALLY have a route (that I actually want) to call my own. Today was my turn to bid and two of the routes that were still open were routes that I have always liked to run. But this is the first time either were bid because of the new bidding language in the Southern Supplement. My route is sometimes cut on Mondays and an occasional Friday and is listed as a training route too. That sucks but at least I will get an occasional change of scenery. I actually had to take a few minutes to decide which route I wanted because this will be a three year bid. I can't imagine being in a local/supplement that bids for life. That would really suck.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
We are bidding right now and I FINALLY have a route (that I actually want) to call my own. Today was my turn to bid and two of the routes that were still open were routes that I have always liked to run. But this is the first time either were bid because of the new bidding language in the Southern Supplement. My route is sometimes cut on Mondays and an occasional Friday and is listed as a training route too. That sucks but at least I will get an occasional change of scenery. I actually had to take a few minutes to decide which route I wanted because this will be a three year bid. I can't imagine being in a local/supplement that bids for life. That would really suck.
It does in some ways. But even tho I have what everyone considers a nasty route, at least I know where I am. Not from the area, so I dont know much besides a few routes I was on as a utility. I got this as no one else wanted it, most days I know why, LOL.
I know where the clean restrooms are, and where the bad areas are, I know how to get in and out quick. I cannot imagine me, being on a different route. I can learn fast, but then they would throw new stuff on it, and I would be lost. I guess I would just follow Orion, lol. If I could bid on one when it stays light til 8 for a few months I might give it a shot.

Overpaid Union Thug

It does in some ways. But even tho I have what everyone considers a nasty route, at least I know where I am. Not from the area, so I dont know much besides a few routes I was on as a utility. I got this as no one else wanted it, most days I know why, LOL.
I know where the clean restrooms are, and where the bad areas are, I know how to get in and out quick. I cannot imagine me, being on a different route. I can learn fast, but then they would throw new stuff on it, and I would be lost. I guess I would just follow Orion, lol. If I could bid on one when it stays light til 8 for a few months I might give it a shot.

I think rebidding every few years or so is good for morale.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
It amazes me that something as simple as a bid sheet can be screwed up by UPS AND the Teamsters. If you don't know what the job or route details, then don't bid.

And we wonder why union employment has down turned sharply in the last 50 years.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
It amazes me that something as simple as a bid sheet can be screwed up by UPS AND the Teamsters. If you don't know what the job or route details, then don't bid.

And we wonder why union employment has down turned sharply in the last 50 years.
Are you angry tonight:crying:

mdnj88

In 177 you can decline. And you also get 30 days to "try" it. Here, it's your route forever until you bid something else or retire/quit

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Here, we bid for life on 22.2, 22.3, clerks and packages. Yearly bid on feeders. If you bid a job, you have to withdraw your bid before it comes down if you change your mind.

If you end up winning the bid, you are stuck with it until you can bid on something else. You can bid as many times as you want. but only get 3 bid wins per year.

We have so many drivers that bid on another route and end up not liking it. They bid, and usually win, on their old route when it is bid the next week. A few guys have lost their old routes to a higher seniority driver and got stuck on this new bid that they really didn't like.