Access point confusion / help

HolyBrown

I've been driver helping for this guy in management, who unfortunately has turned out to be a butt. Whenever I ask a question he explains very little and looks at me like I should immediately understand. If I fail to understand, he becomes impatient and belittles me. So, I've come here, hoping to find answers.

3 days ago we stopped at what was an access point that showed up as a pick-up in the board and grabbed 3 packages that were going out of state. The next day he told me we had nothing to pick-up (was scheduled in the board) because he had already spoken to another sup. Yesterday I asked him if we had a pick-up at that location as it was next and he asked me, "have we delivered everything?" I answered yes, to which he just stared at me, as if that were the end of it.

Basically, I don't understand what our finishing the local deliveries up to that point has to do with picking-up out of state packages. This also leads me to believe an access point isn't simply for making pick-ups.

So what exactly is an access point and how am I supposed to know if there are actual pick-ups?

upschuck

AP are places that packages that are undelivered go to, so they won't be on car the next day. They make the consignee responsible to pick up that package, instead of it being delivered the next day. Basically, a customer counter outside of UPS's control.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Why are you driver helping for a manager?
OP stated in management . Having limited knowledge of our system , he might be with a sup.

I had a lazy manager once who sent a new hire out with a sales rep. and at 1300 hours sent me , an air driver , out to straighten them out .
I told the mgr. to his face that he was nuts for doing that .

BrownArmy

Why are you driver helping for a manager?

Operations requirement for someone going into FT-sup?

Years ago, I had to keep bailing out this driver during Peak - I thought he was a seasonal driver, turns out he was a sup moving into operations from the office.

And, yes, he's a better sup now that he spent a month in the 'suck'.

Mst3k

Not to be a dick but if you are a helper, you don't need to ask that type of questions. The driver knows what he is doing, if he doesn't that is his problem not yours.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Not to be a dick but if you are a helper, you don't need to ask that type of questions. The driver knows what he is doing, if he doesn't that is his problem not yours.

Nothing wrong with his inquiries; in fact, I would much prefer a helper with initiative than one who just sits there all day.