Access Point Idea - On Topic

MendozaJ

The UPS Store does it now.

I am not familiar with the Access Point except in Europe.
How much different is this from a send again?

You have same day and next day. Same days are dropped off, well, on the same day. Next days are treated as send agains and relabeled.

Most ni1 are Sig req , so who will sign for them or how do they get sign

It's signed for by the business when dropped off at the access point. The business holds responsibility while on its premises. You really couldn't have it any other way.

Anyone who feels that this is poor customer service:
a) Does not live in a densely populated area.
b) Does not mind staying home all day for a package.
c) Has never been to a UPS customer service center.

Indecisi0n

Pizza places as access points?
Customer comes home from work, notice states package left at XYZ Pizza.
Customer can pick up Pizza at the same time they pick up their shipment.
OR, they place an order for the Pizza to be delivered, and say for an extra buck or 2, they will bring the item to the customer as well as the Pizza.
Pizza places are open late as it is for those who get off work late.
Might this work?
Package goes missing, now who pays for it?

Waste Manager

The Access Point Program will take the public awhile to get used to it..""I paid for my pkg to be delivered'..well..it was attempted, you weren't home, or you didn't answer. People seem to feel if they include their phone #, that the driver will phone?..sorry, the drivers do not have company issued cell phones, nor are they expected to call you...nor do they have time to call to make 'appointments' to del pkgs, with 100plus stops in each and every truck..
Access points have to be within 5 miles of the destination address...open to 1730hrs or later, and open Saturdays. The pkg itself has to be under 44lbs...UPS stores usually do not have any storage areas.
Access point locations come and go...as they get tired of hearing about the 'Usually Poor Service'..and they opt out of their .50cent per pkg 'gravy train'..can you blame them?..
Slowly, people will see that it does work to their advantage. If not..they can phone and request a future delivery, not a problem..but it can take 1-2 days to move that pkg the last couple of miles...so be prepared to wait, at home..again..

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Access points would be a good idea if it was customer initiated. If the customer had the option after the first attempt of redirecting it then that's fine. But to automatically send it to an access point after 1 attempt isn't the customer service level we should be supporting.

BrownBrokeDown

Driver is still essentially making 2 attempts on the package. First attempt and then delivery to the AP. The only thing that is truly disappearing is the third attempt.
Wrong, at my other job we had 1 in new york sent straight to the Access Point no delivery attempts. Customer was pissed. Until then we didnt even know they existed.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Wrong, at my other job we had 1 in new york sent straight to the Access Point no delivery attempts. Customer was :censored2:. Until then we didnt even know they existe
Customers can set it up to go to the AP point. Usually they screw up when they sign up for MyChoice. There are no provisions in the software to redirect it without a DCR or an attempt.

BrownBrokeDown

Customers can set it up to go to the AP point. Usually they screw up when they sign up for MyChoice. There are no provisions in the software to redirect it without a DCR or an attempt.
It was neither. no mychoice, no access point selected, nothing. Trust me, I had to spend 2 weeks on the phone with the 800 number, my rep, customer service on my side, and with them calling the old couple that was the customer. This was during the testing phase, so don't know if that had anything to do with it. But nothing was changed on our side or the customers. It was redirected at the hub to the access point.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
It was neither. no mychoice, no access point selected, nothing. Trust me, I had to spend 2 weeks on the phone with the 800 number, my rep, customer service on my side, and with them calling the old couple that was the customer. This was during the testing phase, so don't know if that had anything to do with it. But nothing was changed on our side or the customers. It was redirected at the hub to the access point.
2 weeks to get a package? It would have been RTSed after 7 days...

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
Access points would be a good idea if it was customer initiated. If the customer had the option after the first attempt of redirecting it then that's fine. But to automatically send it to an access point after 1 attempt isn't the customer service level we should be supporting.
Are Amazon packages going to access points?

Last edited:

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I wonder if wine deliveries can be sent to access points. We are going live on the program Monday. We were told that it is slow to take off in test markets so far.