access points?????

otizanig

How is this procedure going to work? Do we bring the packages to the AP(access point) daily or the next day? Does it go on the driver in the area ? How will that effect their day? What happens if the person doesn't go to AP to get there package how long will it stay there? Who brings it back? Who's responsible for any claims? I'm sure all this will fall into the lap of the DRIVERS to make it work as usual.

Browntown2014

How is this procedure going to work? Do we bring the packages to the AP(access point) daily or the next day? Does it go on the driver in the area ? How will that effect their day? What happens if the person doesn't go to AP to get there package how long will it stay there? Who brings it back? Who's responsible for any claims? I'm sure all this will fall into the lap of the DRIVERS to make it work as usual.

Here we just take them to the clerk at the end if the day. I assume the next day they are then sent to the AP.

I believe the packages stay at the ap for a max of 6 days if they aren't picked up.

Don't know about who is responsible about claims, however I am sure Upstate will chime in with an answer (not that he knows either) but that won't stop him.

MendozaJ

Same day packages are brought to the access point on the driver's route. You will often make multiple stops at said access point throughout the day. You fill in the location on the info notice. If the access point is on a different route, the package is returned to the building and relabeled to be loaded on the appropriate truck the following morning. Again, you fill in the location on the info notice. The person who signs for the packages at the access point is responsible. The package is held for seven days.

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
To be fair, they did test the concept in select markets before rolling it out.

The basic concept makes sense-----the part that I don't like is where the consignee does not have a choice.

We are supposed to provide a service (point to point delivery). This is something else entirely.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We are supposed to provide a service (point to point delivery). This is something else entirely.

...and I 100% agree; however, in urban areas, it is becoming increasingly difficult to "get rid of" packages on the first attempt. AP's allow the consignee to receive their packages on their schedule rather than on ours.

When I was first started, I was told that we make money on the first attempt, break even on the second and lose money on the third.

As I said above, the only part I don't like is the consignee being left out of the redirect decision.

ViewAskew

I can see this being great for college towns that have dorm/student housing deliveries that don't go to a central receiving. I wish we'd have had this when I was a swing driver running a college apartment/dorm split.

MendozaJ

I would prefer the convenience of knowing I can pickup my package from a nearby location rather than having to stay home all day waiting (an impossibility for many) because I live in a crappy neighborhood and the driver can't release it. It's basically like having a doorman, except you may have to walk a few blocks to get your package (God forbid). We all know that that scenario is by far a much more pleasant experience than driving to a UPS Customer Center and waiting on line.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I can see this being great for college towns that have dorm/student housing deliveries that don't go to a central receiving. I wish we'd have had this when I was a swing driver running a college apartment/dorm split.

I run a college route and have no problem getting rid of the apartment deliveries.