Access Points

Turdferguson

Just a turd
ASD's will be a thing of the past. New tech being experimented with allows a customer to simply pre pay and bring a barcode on their phone into a UPS store and they'll print out the label for them.

This is also being used in drop boxes. The way this works is a sheet of labels in the drop box, customer grabs one, scans it in with their phone. Once the barcode is loaded into the phone customer fills out the virtual label, pays on the app, and attaches the barcode to the package. This barcode isn't a 1Z code, but once it arrives at UPS, a proper label will be applied once the barcode is scanned in the facility and a full fledged label will be attached.

This will be for air only at first.
People still use the books, ASD will not be a thing of the past.
That just sounds like a cluster friend* ripe for missing packages .

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
ASD's will be a thing of the past. New tech being experimented with allows a customer to simply pre pay and bring a barcode on their phone into a UPS store and they'll print out the label for them.

This is also being used in drop boxes. The way this works is a sheet of labels in the drop box, customer grabs one, scans it in with their phone. Once the barcode is loaded into the phone customer fills out the virtual label, pays on the app, and attaches the barcode to the package. This barcode isn't a 1Z code, but once it arrives at UPS, a proper label will be applied once the barcode is scanned in the facility and a full fledged label will be attached.

This will be for air only at first.
That sounds like a :censored2:ing disaster.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
People still use the books, ASD will not be a thing of the past.
That just sounds like a cluster friend* ripe for missing packages .
Can't have missing packages if it never gets in our system properly. Much like damages, blame is shifted to shipper, not the shipping company. Ask anyone who's tried to file a damage claim.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
You're.

And nope technically he's right.
@RonBurgandy??????????
image.png

Brownslave688

No more than when people use crayon to fill out ASD's. And for those that think we'll keep doing ASD's, where do you think they'll get them when they are removed and replaced with aforementioned barcodes?
If you or ups thinks people that still use ASD will use this tech you're nuts. They can't figure out how to print out a label online. Come on now. Lol

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
If you or ups thinks people that still use ASD will use this tech you're nuts. They can't figure out how to print out a label online. Come on now. Lol
I'm sure UPS has considered the amount of convenience to the customer to hand write these labels. As you know, problems such as incorrect weights, inputting the data, label adhesion, legibility, correct payment, lack of integration into the PAL system have all been taken into consideration. They have determined that ASD's are going to go away, those that refuse to use them will also, or adapt.

Much like the costs of send agains vs a few pissed off people who hate access points. It's a numbers game, and UPS makes the rules.

Mark my words, this will happen company wide.

Brownslave688

I'm sure UPS has considered the amount of convenience to the customer to hand write these labels. As you know, problems such as incorrect weights, inputting the data, label adhesion, legibility, correct payment, lack of integration into the PAL system have all been taken into consideration.

Much like the costs of send agains vs a few :censored2: off people who hate access points. It's a numbers game, and UPS makes the rules.
Yeah im just saying for the most part ups will just lose customers or get them to go to the ups store as opposed to thinking this is some awesome new tech.