Accident!! At driving school!!

M

McLeod

Take a chainsaw with you next time at drive school. And yell timberrrrrrrrrr when you cut that pole down!!!!

Overpaid Union Thug

I took my road test in the driving school through lunch hour traffic in downtown Nashville. There was a country music video being shot that day so the congestion was worse than normal. We all had to drive down a street that went right through the block they were shooting on so there was equipment and trucks every where. It took each of us forever to make it through there because we all went about 2mph. No one hit anything though.

filthpig

Can some one please help? I went to driving school, and on the road test I was on a narrow street and my miror hit a pole, and the fragile bottom one broke!! They told me I was failed because of this, is this true? Also no accidentvrepirt was ever filled out!
Seeya!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Try parking cars at a hub, now that's fun:happy-very:

Six inches of space on both sides? No problem.
We have one rte that has drivers on either side that are really bad about parking crooked or encroaching. They did it the other night and I left the truck sitting out in the middle of the parking lot. The sup was sitting outside when I tried to back in. He didn't say a thing about leaving the truck out (other than, not enough room, eh?). LOL

browndevil

Can some one please help? I went to driving school, and on the road test I was on a narrow street and my miror hit a pole, and the fragile bottom one broke!! They told me I was failed because of this, is this true? Also no accidentvrepirt was ever filled out!
Sorry buddy, but yes mgmt can and most likely will DQ you. It is unfortunate Scratch's post says it best. Hunker down,let it go and prepare yourself for the next time. This will only be a blip in your career:sad-little:

Last edited:

dillweed

I'm also sorry to hear about this - driving school is downright scary and some centers don't offer an opportunity to practice first.

Like the others have said, it's over, you may have to wait a bit but will make it with flying colors.

ol'browneye

Here's a good one for you!

I was in driving school, 22 years ago. We were in the St. Louis area and there was the old 115 bridge that was barely wide enough for two cars, let alone trucks. There was also a curve in this bridge at one end. Although many drivers took this bridge every morning to get to their routes in St. Charles, it was policy to not take the driving school pkg. car (you know the one, windows and seats all the way back) across this bridge. Well we are in St. Charles and the old POS starts over-heating. The instructor decides we need to get back to the building asap and says we need to go across the bridge. "Whose turn is it to drive?" You guessed it-mine!

Well I made it through the curve like a pro and was cruising right along, no problem. About half way across a van is approaching. The instructor says "You might want to get over a little." I think he means I am too close to the center line so I move ever so slightly to the right. He says again "You better get over!" Again, I move a little to the right. The third time he says it, I move over and smack the mirror on the bridge sides and rub the back wheels against the curb and have to fight a little skid as the truck bounces off the curb. To make the matters worse, some broken glass cut the instructors forehead!

We got back to the hub and he fills out this accident report which I didn't get to read, was pretty much forced to sign (too green to know better) and was told I needed some practice driving larger vehicles and was to report back to preload in the morning. I was devastated. I was working 2 jobs, had a wife and a baby daughter and this was going to be my first real fulltime job!

I walked into preload the next day and the head HR guy walks up and says "They pulled a dirty trick on you yesterday, you shouldn't have gone over the old 115 bridge. See me after work this morning and I will give you your uniforms and you can report to driving tomorrow!"

15 Years later I saw a report with every accident I ever had and that one is listed as "Hit a parked car". Not only did the instructor instruct me wrong, he filed a false accident report! I have been driving almost 22 years and to this day that one is the only "Avoidable" accident on my record.

I would love to use his name in this story but will refrain to protect the guilty.

705red

Browncafe Steward
I see some very good advice so far. The most important is sign up for saturday air and get that experience under your belt so when you try again it will be a piece of cake. You are not the first one to have an accident and im sure there has been several more since you started this thread.

I have been driving package for 10 years and on my first day in feeder i caught a pole to. Back to package i went, will be going back real soon.

Mr.Brown

ol brown eye I was reading your story, and it sounds almost just like what happen to me i was also in St. Charles, Mo where i had my accident, it was around noon and we were on a street that was too small for that infamous training truck with the windows in the back.
the instructor told me to get over twice. i did not know which way he was wanting, i never got a accident report? it was just the mirror, by the way does your instructor name ryhme with (Biggs), i wont say his real name!

thebrownbox

Been there, done that. Six inches was a lot of space...more like 1 inch on each side.
They had the same guys who parked the cars go around and do touch-ups. That was good job security!:wink2:

That's how it is at my hub.. some trucks near the front are less then a inch and walking in the truck you can hear the mirrors touch.

rocket man

IM Sorry to hear what happened but you can still work in hub one year you may try one more time. Good luck if you really want it it will happen . during the year keep going over all the habits everything you did in class.and sign every bid sheet no matter what weird things happen in this company.

tieguy

Banned
IM Sorry to hear what happened but you can still work in hub one year you may try one more time. Good luck if you really want it it will happen . during the year keep going over all the habits everything you did in class.and sign every bid sheet no matter what weird things happen in this company.

your slipping rocket. all of your posts are supposed to be shots at me. Get back to work.

browniehound

I think UPS may have their priorities messed up. For example, if you crack a mirror in your first 30 days on road you get fired? A simple scratch during the time that you are trying to learn the size of the vehicle and where you can put it will get you fired?

Yet on day 31, you can broadside a school-van, hit a pedestrian, or rear-end a senior-citizen bus and keep your job. After day 30, you can get into 2 accidents in a week and still keep your job.

Why are the rules so strict in the first 30 days when they are so lax on day 31? I wish our supervisers could use some discrection on who to keep or let go in the first 30 days when a $10 mirror or some brown paint is all that is needed to fix the damage. Can anyone agree with me?

Just to make myself clear I will say it this way. I know of a driver that was fired in his first 30 for putting a 2 inch "mark" on the truck. I also know a driver the hit a pedesestrian and still has his job. I also know a driver that had 13 accidents in less than 5 years. Why are they permitted to drive but the "newbie" is fired when he hasn't been given the chance to get comfortable with the size of the vehicle yet?

Again, I think some discretion should be given to the center-team on the driver and each case should be evaluated individually. NO???

Cementups

Box Monkey
two of our 3 people in our safety committee are 2 of our highest liabilities. How does that make sense?

Moral of the story = nothing at UPS makes sense.

drewed

Shankman
I think UPS may have their priorities messed up. For example, if you crack a mirror in your first 30 days on road you get fired? A simple scratch during the time that you are trying to learn the size of the vehicle and where you can put it will get you fired?

Yet on day 31, you can broadside a school-van, hit a pedestrian, or rear-end a senior-citizen bus and keep your job. After day 30, you can get into 2 accidents in a week and still keep your job.

Why are the rules so strict in the first 30 days when they are so lax on day 31? I wish our supervisers could use some discrection on who to keep or let go in the first 30 days when a $10 mirror or some brown paint is all that is needed to fix the damage. Can anyone agree with me?

Just to make myself clear I will say it this way. I know of a driver that was fired in his first 30 for putting a 2 inch "mark" on the truck. I also know a driver the hit a pedesestrian and still has his job. I also know a driver that had 13 accidents in less than 5 years. Why are they permitted to drive but the "newbie" is fired when he hasn't been given the chance to get comfortable with the size of the vehicle yet?

Again, I think some discretion should be given to the center-team on the driver and each case should be evaluated individually. NO???

I agree with the last part but......
UPS doesnt determine this the contract does.....
They dont get fired if they get in an accident they get dq'd they can try next year, and the sups have to be hard in that time because thats the only time they can have that clear cut ability.
Yea you are getting use to the size of the vehicle, but also you should be taking extra care in your abilities, its not like he hit at the passger side rear fender because he thought he cleared it, he hit something he had a clear (or reasonably clear)view of.