accident in feeder

Crash on Friday due to falling asleep? I would LOVE to know the hours that driver was forced to work until the time of the crash.

Plus as I look again he was driving a single axle tractor while pulling one of our new 53'. I'm sure there's no weight issues there either.

P

pickup

Crash on Friday due to falling asleep? I would LOVE to know the hours that driver was forced to work until the time of the crash.

I would love to know if he was one of the casual drivers on call in them thar parts of Pennsylvania. Up all day, maybe worked at his pt job in the morning, maybe did some errands and picked up his kids and then he got the call from UPS., we need you to work tonight, can you do it?

Umm, Okay.

12 hours later, lemme close my eyes for just 1 second.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I would love to know if he was one of the casual drivers on call in them thar parts of Pennsylvania. Up all day, maybe worked at his pt job in the morning, maybe did some errands and picked up his kids and then he got the call from UPS., we need you to work tonight, can you do it?

Umm, Okay.

He's a Baltimore driver, been in feeders a couple years so not a casual.

That's not exactly the news I want to hear just as I'm getting into feeders. Whoo Hoo

Want to hear it?

You should hear it. It'll keep that in your mind so maybe you'll be aware of it.

I was mentoring a rookie this week. First thing I did was take him out back to the elephant graveyard.

Last edited:

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
He could still be a swing driver bouncing around start times.
I spent most of my 1st year on the q list bouncing around, lesson number one was go to sleep as soon as you get home cuz 10 hours off might be all you get. It was still tuff though, glad it's over.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I spent most of my 1st year on the q list bouncing around, lesson number one was go to sleep as soon as you get home cuz 10 hours off might be all you get. It was still tuff though, glad it's over.

That's what I'm planning now. I should go to feeder school in the next few weeks, and whereas I might not be a bunch of fun, but I'll be well rested and ready to work.

That's what I'm planning now. I should go to feeder school in the next few weeks, and whereas I might not be a bunch of fun, but I'll be well rested and ready to work.

The greatest trouble the new guy I was with was getting the hand/eye coordination straight in his head while backing.

QKRSTKR

Scary! Working nights is tough. Tougher than I thought. Sometimes no matter how much sleep you get that darn tractor tries to rock you to sleep.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Umm, Okay.

Where in Pa? UPS recently had an ad in the Philly Inquirer for FT feeder positions at WILPA - NOT seasonal, but full time - with weekends off! And in my local they aren't hiring off the street.

They are so desperate for drivers they are pulling guys in with just one year in in package. Where are there an excess of positions that they have PT drivers?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Where in Pa? UPS recently had an ad in the Philly Inquirer for FT feeder positions at WILPA - NOT seasonal, but full time - with weekends off! And in my local they aren't hiring off the street.

They are so desperate for drivers they are pulling guys in with just one year in in package. Where are there an excess of positions that they have PT drivers?
I know HARPA and NEWPA use casuals, I think they're under a different supplement than you.

P

pickup

As Jonesy said, HARPA and NEWPA use casuals, and I think they are on call all year long (if they choose to be used that way).

I was having a quick discussion with a HARPA feeder driver the other day and he mentioned to me that HARPA is hiring off the street and by passing the casuals that they have been using all along for reasons that were not clear to me . We didn't have enough time to continue the conversation.

This driver was also a casual that got hired a few years back and I suspect that he was an over the road driver for years previous to that and hence a slight bit eccentric . So while the eccentricity was bit entertaining and refreshing, exact preciseness and clarity in the conversation was a bit lacking. Given time, I could have gotten to the heart of the issue, but again, time was short.

I know HARPA and NEWPA use casuals, I think they're under a different supplement than you.

P

pickup

He's a Baltimore driver, been in feeders a couple years so not a casual.

So, I am mistaken, once again. According to the article , he lived in York, Pa, which is slightly closer to HARPA than to Baltimore. I assumed he would have been working out of Harrisburg.

Johney

Umm, Okay.

Not sure how it is elsewhere, but here if you're cover/casual and they pull you for feeders they pull you for the week. If at that point you don't sleep before your shift..........you don't belong in feeders.

P

pickup

Has busterbrownlady posted the latest in her case? I was wondering if she got her job back and if maybe I know her from my Forest Park Hub. Atlanta traffic is a nightmare at all times of the day in certain places.

Yeah, Scratch, she updated the latest about her case in post #64, she got her job back.

purplesky

It sounds like UPS is hiring feeder drivers in all major cities. Its amazing how things can change so quickly.

We use to take dozens of loads to the rails each week and those rail runs are now disappearing fast.

So we have gained mileage runs and more friday mileage loads don't get eliminated for weekend rails.