accident in gated sub

browned out

A driver in our center was delivering in a gated sub today. An 18 year old kid backs out of her driveway as fast as she can without looking and hits UPS truck while driver is driving it. Anyway tier 3 intersection accident, driver taken out of service per dot reg due to possibility of over 4400 dollars damage. The kid tells our center manager that it was her fault; she was jamming her radio and just backed out without looking.

Come to find out that the police were never called. Does anyone know if the police have to be called in case of an accident in a gated community?

browndevil

A driver in our center was delivering in a gated sub today. An 18 year old kid backs out of her driveway as fast as she can without looking and hits UPS truck while driver is driving it. Anyway tier 3 intersection accident, driver taken out of service per dot reg due to possibility of over 4400 dollars damage. The kid tells our center manager that it was her fault; she was jamming her radio and just backed out without looking.

Come to find out that the police were never called. Does anyone know if the police have to be called in case of an accident in a gated community?

What is the driver supposed to do, stop at every driveway and look LRL while honking? Amazing! Keep us posted on the outcome.

cosmictrucker

counting the months

"driver taken out of service per dot reg due to possibility of over 4400 dollars damage"

Never heard of such DOT reg.

rod

Retired 22 years
I would have called the police in a heart beat. CYA. How come people in gated communities think they are above the law. Where I live you are required to fill out a police accident report for any accident over $1,000 dollars which now days is a scratced bumper.

browned out

I would have called the police in a heart beat. CYA. How come people in gated communities think they are above the law. Where I live you are required to fill out a police accident report for any accident over $1,000 dollars which now days is a scratced bumper.

I think driver was a little shaken at the time. It was management who directed him not to call police.

SWORDFISH

I have seen lots of tier 3s and none taken out of service besides the role away. I have never even heard of that either especially when theres no injuries and the driver wasnt at fault. As far as the police being called if your on private property and neither party wants to press charges or anything the police can do nothing. Make sure the steward for your center along w/ the BA are informed of this situation so the driver is protected.:peaceful:

JonFrum

I think driver was a little shaken at the time. It was management who directed him not to call police.
If true, I wonder if the police regard Management's directive as a crime, or just really, really bad judgement?

I'll bet the Union would want the police at the scene to provide documentation, and to act as a witness. Police have experience and the authority to handle such things. Also, you never know what may happen in the immediate aftermath of an accident.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The location of the accident in this case is of no relevance. The police should definitely have been notified. The driver was pulled out of service pending investigation. I would not be surprised if he is back at work today.

tieguy

Banned
UPS will say the driver should have seen him and honked his horn .Then one must say ok honk at all driveways with cars.

not necessarily but possibly. Depends on whether he could or should have seen her and whether he could have done everything possible to avoid the accident. The driver is probably out of service because its a tier 3 accident being investigated. The contract does allow us time to investigage accidents during which we take the driver out of service. A tier three costs us an average of 42000 dollars. There is probably local contract language that allows us to take him out of service for a set dollar amount.

serious accident language requiring drug testing is where the DOT language would kick in. There is no DOT language requiring us to take someone out of service for 4400 dollars of damage.

tranham

We had a driver charged with an accident after being t-boned at a intersection. A lady was talking on the phone and ran the red light. He failed to clear the intersection doing 40MPH.

Another was charged when his package car was hit while parked. The lady backed out from her parking spot and never looked. She had plently of room if she had turned the otner direction.