accident in gated sub

tieguy

Banned
+1111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111
best comment I have heard in awhile. How in the world do you expect the unexpected. Its a joke.:peaceful:

Tie it into the context of the seeing habit it is associated with. In that case you talk about taking the path of least resistance which is the travel lane that poses the fewest hazards. It talks about trying to maintain space on all four sides where possible. It talks about a proper following distance in that you always keep a proper following distance in front of you. Its your space cushion to control it. Its really the foundation of the entire defensive driving concept. You position your vehicle driving down the road in a manner that keeps you out of harms way. In my humble opinion many of you folks here do not know defensive driving, therefore do not practice it but are then quick to piece meal one phrase out of it and mock it. People like the swami you quoted need to learn it , live it and then tells us where it needs to be strengthened.

tieguy

Banned
Escalate the situation Tie Guy? Aren't managers supposed to difuse them?

And your comment to Rod was? I'm not on duty here and I don't diffuse idiots , how about you?

the question was actually an honest response something many of you are not comfortable with. Rod made the comment in resposne to this thread that management does not understand the driver and insinuated they should not try to. Well duh what the hell does that mean in this thread about accidents and accident investigations.

If you have an accident as a driver management will come out and investigate it fully to see if you could have avoided it. Should they not investigate the accident. Should I sugercoat my response to idiotic statements like that so you folks can have an idiot convention here free of disturbances?

What exactually did you want me to do with such a stupid statement?

rod

Retired 22 years
So your point would be that drivers should have accidents and management should not investigate them? Or was this just a classic class warfare vent?

Just making a "one size fits all blanket statement" --------------sound familiar? (you guys wrote the book on it.)

SWORDFISH

Tie it into the context of the seeing habit it is associated with. In that case you talk about taking the path of least resistance which is the travel lane that poses the fewest hazards. It talks about trying to maintain space on all four sides where possible. It talks about a proper following distance in that you always keep a proper following distance in front of you. Its your space cushion to control it. Its really the foundation of the entire defensive driving concept. You position your vehicle driving down the road in a manner that keeps you out of harms way. In my humble opinion many of you folks here do not know defensive driving, therefore do not practice it but are then quick to piece meal one phrase out of it and mock it. People like the swami you quoted need to learn it , live it and then tells us where it needs to be strengthened.

We are mocking a statement that is over used to give fault in situations where the above underlined doesnt apply. Just because one is a proffessional driver doesnt make them God.

+1 on the marked text. I agree w/ that.

-1 on the rest. How can you make that kind of statement w/ out seeing those people drive? For instance my boss has personally observed me avoid a few accidents that the driver wasnt paying attention that I was able to anticipate and avoid. I would bet if a driver has been at UPS for any length of time your statement doesnt hold alot of water.
:peaceful:

Scoot

So every time we see someone get into their car in a driveway and they seem to see us; we need to get out of our truck, knock on their window, have them get out of their car and stand beside it with their keys in their hand so we know their car won' t roll into us?

Why not? Our management team wants us to stick delivery notices on vehicles parked near our truck while we are making a delivery to "make them aware". Yes, I am serious....

tieguy

Banned
Just making a "one size fits all blanket statement" --------------sound familiar? (you guys wrote the book on it.)

Rod i dont think a you guys wrote the book on it or you guys did it first argument is an adequate defense for such an idiotic statement.
If you have an accident its managements job to come out and investigate it fully and put out information that hopefully will help others avoid the same accident.
a woe is me management does not understand the drivers arguement is just plain idiotic to throw in that mix.

tieguy

Banned
We are mocking a statement that is over used to give fault in situations where the above underlined doesnt apply. Just because one is a proffessional driver doesnt make them God.

+1 on the marked text. I agree w/ that.

-1 on the rest. How can you make that kind of statement w/ out seeing those people drive? For instance my boss has personally observed me avoid a few accidents that the driver wasnt paying attention that I was able to anticipate and avoid. I would bet if a driver has been at UPS for any length of time your statement doesnt hold alot of water.

I can't help you. its clear that despite your occasional acts of alertness and your blind luck in preventing accidents that you do not. know or understand defensive driving. Thus you quickly chimed in in support of a post criticizing verbage that makes a lot of sense to those who have become students of the principles of defensive driving. Many of those in the feeder ranks. I lead a team of professionals in feeders who live and breath defensive driving. The see , anticipate and avoid the unexpected everyday by positioning theirselves on the road in a position that allows them to avoid these random acts of stupidity. To them the verbage of the five seeing habits orginally defined as the smith system makes sense. Your too ignorant to understand these concepts so you effuse verbal ejaculations at someones criticism of these principles. Ignorance is clearly your bliss. I can not help you.

SWORDFISH

I can't help you. its clear that despite your occasional acts of alertness and your blind luck in preventing accidents that you do not. know or understand defensive driving. Thus you quickly chimed in in support of a post criticizing verbage that makes a lot of sense to those who have become students of the principles of defensive driving. Many of those in the feeder ranks. I lead a team of professionals in feeders who live and breath defensive driving. The see , anticipate and avoid the unexpected everyday by positioning theirselves on the road in a position that allows them to avoid these random acts of stupidity. To them the verbage of the five seeing habits orginally defined as the smith system makes sense. Your too ignorant to understand these concepts so you effuse verbal ejaculations at someones criticism of these principles. Ignorance is clearly your bliss. I can not help you.

I wouldnt turn to you if I needed council. You lack wisdom yet you try to speak as those your wise. I wouldnt in a million years want to work under you. You go off on these tiraides that are unfounded. If you had any kind of comprehensive skills you would have seen I was in agreement w/ you about the driving skills you spoke of. My contention was EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED AND THE FACT THAT YOU SEEM TO THINK YOU KNOW ALL AND EVERYONE. On top of that you personally attack me and w/ no bases for your attacks. You dont know me from Adam. Your always on here whining and crying about personal attacks yet your glass house has no glass left. You just growl a lot but your teeth are soaking in a glass right now.

tieguy

Banned
I wouldnt turn to you if I needed council. You lack wisdom yet you try to speak as those your wise. I wouldnt in a million years want to work under you. You go off on these tiraides that are unfounded. If you had any kind of comprehensive skills you would have seen I was in agreement w/ you about the driving skills you spoke of. My contention was EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED AND THE FACT THAT YOU SEEM TO THINK YOU KNOW ALL AND EVERYONE. On top of that you personally attack me and w/ no bases for your attacks. You dont know me from Adam. Your always on here whining and crying about personal attacks yet your glass house has no glass left. You just growl a lot but your teeth are soaking in a glass right now.

For you its an ego issue thus your colorful and entertaining reference to teeth in a glass. Your type of comment tends to be a typical response once someone like you realizes that you are not equiped to intelligently continue this discussion. Thus while my teeth may be soaking in a glass your brains are soaking in yours.

The point is simple my "show the management poster with a teeth in the glass look at me I'm so clever" comment. You don't know crap about defensive driving. I on the other hand live it and breath it and teach it everyday.
I teach package guys like yourself how to drive the big trucks. I certify supervisors who do the same. When we do so we know we can teach any monkey how to shift gears and make turns. What we really look for is all those poor driving skills you have acquired out there in a package car that will kill someone in a feeder. Most of the drivers we dq are because they just could not overcome all their bad habits though many probably could have made comments about teeth soaking in a glass if asked. So the point remains when someone who is equally as ignorant about defensive driving as you criticized the concepts you chimed in with a plus one and claimed it a terrific post thus again showing your ignorance on this subject. You clearly don't understand the teachings of defensive driving and all the dodges in the world won't hide that fact.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
My supe teaches us defensive driving. When it's his turn to drive it's unbelievable how bad he is. He was training a summer temp a couple weeks ago and the newbie told him flat out he was a terrible driver. Another supe took out a cabinet trying to pull a truck out of the building. Just cause you teach it doesn't mean you can do it 10 hours a day for 30 years.

Blizzard

My supe teaches us defensive driving. When it's his turn to drive it's unbelievable how bad he is. He was training a summer temp a couple weeks ago and the newbie told him flat out he was a terrible driver. Another supe took out a cabinet trying to pull a truck out of the building. Just cause you teach it doesn't mean you can do it 10 hours a day for 30 years.

any wonder package drivers have the worst accident history around? They probably need to create a Package DTS for those sups.

browned out

I scan the steering wheels everyday. I counted the ones that I could not see into yesterday. I counted at least 30 that I could not see into because of blacked out windows, large decals on back windshields of pick up trucks, two car driveways with SUV parked next to car that sits lower and behind it. Many instances, impossible to get em all.

browned out

A driver in our center was delivering in a gated sub today. An 18 year old kid backs out of her driveway as fast as she can without looking and hits UPS truck while driver is driving it. Anyway tier 3 intersection accident, driver taken out of service per dot reg due to possibility of over 4400 dollars damage. The kid tells our center manager that it was her fault; she was jamming her radio and just backed out without looking.

Come to find out that the police were never called. Does anyone know if the police have to be called in case of an accident in a gated community?

The driver was only 17. In Michigan all new drivers (15 to 18) have to be on probation for three years. Any accidents extend their probationary period and necessitate additional safety training. So we took a safe UPS driver off the road and let an unsafe driver who should have been ticketed stay on the road. I hope the next time she doesn't back over a kid. Unreal

I will try to post state law requiring all accidents to be reported over $1000 and the teen probation info. I gave copies to every driver and Center Manager and full time sups. We run over a landscape light and have to report it. UPS breaks the law by not reporting an accident in the $1000s. Funny how things don't apply equally in more and more ways everyday.

Re-Raise

I scan the steering wheels everyday. I counted the ones that I could not see into yesterday. I counted at least 30 that I could not see into because of blacked out windows, large decals on back windshields of pick up trucks, two car driveways with SUV parked next to car that sits lower and behind it. Many instances, impossible to get em all.

Wrong answer. It says on my paper that you should be perfect. The guys on the conference call said the same thing.

I guess I am quick to jump in and defend other drivers. I also hate the 20 - 20 hindsight that managers are so good with.

I would compare it to people in the stands at a ball game who constantly criticize the officiating. I have worked as an official.

I have seen referees make mistakes, but I will not be one of the know-it-alls in the crowd yelling about the calls.

People who have done it.. whether it be officiating or UPS driver.. know how difficult it is to be perfect.

I believe we can all strive to be better, but I won't be like Tieguy or the idiots in the crowd who can judge all from the comfort of their seats.

upsgrunt

Not sure if you are still ignoring me, but I have a question:
Are you saying you lead a team of professionals, but the rest of us are not good at defensive driving? Cause that's what it sounds like.

rod

Retired 22 years
Wrong answer. It says on my paper that you should be perfect. The guys on the conference call said the same thing.

I guess I am quick to jump in and defend other drivers. I also hate the 20 - 20 hindsight that managers are so good with.

I would compare it to people in the stands at a ball game who constantly criticize the officiating. I have worked as an official.

I have seen referees make mistakes, but I will not be one of the know-it-alls in the crowd yelling about the calls.

People who have done it.. whether it be officiating or UPS driver.. know how difficult it is to be perfect.

I believe we can all strive to be better, but I won't be like Tieguy or the idiots in the crowd who can judge all from the comfort of their seats.[/QUOTE]

a voice of reason :-)

tieguy

Banned

I believe we can all strive to be better, but I won't be like Tieguy or the idiots in the crowd who can judge all from the comfort of their seats.[/QUOTE]

a voice of reason :-)

Again its their job to investigate the accident after you have one.

Your response indicates that there is some higher version of quantum physics involved in driving a package car the prevents management from being allowed to investigate the stupidity that resulted in your wrecking our package car.

Perhaps we can comprimise and have a pity party first before we tell you to get your head out of your ass?

rod

Retired 22 years
Again its their job to investigate the accident after you have one.

Your response indicates that there is some higher version of quantum physics involved in driving a package car the prevents management from being allowed to investigate the stupidity that resulted in your wrecking our package car.

Perhaps we can comprimise and have a pity party first before we tell you to get your head out of your ass?

you're funny:happy2: reading your posts is better than anything the Comedy Channel has to offer.

SWORDFISH

Tieguy your like talking to a yapping dog. Its a waste of my time. Im not here to play your childish games Im here to help others, recieve help, share info and meet new people. Sorry your so hurt by my teeth comment(LOL). By the way it was a figurative comment not a literal comment. Did I make the ignore list yet? I dont care either way. A person that conducts themselves as you do makes me lose respect for them.