Accident Rate

Goldilocks

We had a courier 2 weeks ago who plowed into a car. Probably reading the DRA map. This was the 3rd accident, no longer at Fedex. What happened to memorizing your first 3 stops? DRA=Disaster....Not only is DRA a safety issue, but its costing the company lots of money. The amount of paper used everyday to print out maps and manifest must be insane...

bbsam

Staff member
Why would you assume looking at a DRA map and not doing something else stupid like texting or eating?

Goldilocks

Why would you assume looking at a DRA map and not doing something else stupid like texting or eating?

Not sure, I'm assuming this because I see many drivers with that map in their hands while driving. Maybe texting, I did see a ground driver texting and driving the other day....Do you teach your drivers the 5 keys? ALL GOOD KIDS LIKE MILK

bbsam

Staff member
Not sure, I'm assuming this because I see many drivers with that map in their hands while driving. Maybe texting, I did see a ground driver texting and driving the other day....Do you teach your drivers the 5 keys? ALL GOOD KIDS LIKE MILK
No. We use Fedex's version of the "Smith" system. Generally the same thing, but as I understand it, teaching the Smith system requires a user fee.

Do you think the maps are less distracting than texting

CJinx

Do you think the maps are less distracting than texting
Anything that causes you to divert attention from the road is distracting, whether it be eating food, texting, reading a map, staring at the smokin' hot blonde in the car next to you, or scratching your ass.

hypo hanna

Well, you never stare at her! That just creeps her out and gets me investigated.

Happen a lot? JK

all the safety pep talks in the world won't break through the threats the drivers are getting about productivity numbers.
there is a line on safety that shouldn't be crossed and FedEx blew past that line some time ago. There has been a clear decision of late to sacrifice safety for productivity and people are getting hurt. As long as it is FedEx drivers, FedEx is ok with it. When the public gets hurt then they will blame the driver.

bbsam

Staff member
My drivers used to have alot of accidents and complaints. As soon as their monthly bonus was tied to it, they all but stopped.

hypo hanna

Wow! That makes for a grand total $600 a month. Big ballers!

Might want to check your math...... I came up with 1800.

i think it's great that Sam puts his money where his mouth is. Whatever it takes to encourage drivers to be safer is fine by me. Over here on the express side it's a daily safety broadcast and a big push AFTER there has been a major accident.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Happen a lot? JK

all the safety pep talks in the world won't break through the threats the drivers are getting about productivity numbers.
there is a line on safety that shouldn't be crossed and FedEx blew past that line some time ago. There has been a clear decision of late to sacrifice safety for productivity and people are getting hurt. As long as it is FedEx drivers, FedEx is ok with it. When the public gets hurt then they will blame the driver.

Yes. That's why we need media attention to the problem before the major accident that opens the lid on this can of crap company. People are already getting hurt and/or killed, which is apparently just fine with Fred, as long as the money keeps rolling-in. Don't let these bastards get away with it.

vantexan

Yes. That's why we need media attention to the problem before the major accident that opens the lid on this can of crap company. People are already getting hurt and/or killed, which is apparently just fine with Fred, as long as the money keeps rolling-in. Don't let these bastards get away with it.

Look up "FedEx Van Driver Collides With Semi in Cushing, OK" on YouTube. I've had close to 200 people ask me about him in 3 weeks on route.