Accidents

hyena

Hey guys wanted to get some input and see how situations similar to mine have gone. Has anyone been involved in an accident where managment was spotting you? What happened as a result?:surprised:

over9five

Staff member
Can you give us more information?

I know of one case (a LONG time ago) where a management person was directing a driver backing up a TP-60. Backed into a parked car.
When they got back to the building, the sup started to slink off, and the driver almost had to drag her into the CMs office.
The driver was not charged.

hyena

I was supposed to go full time and on my last saturday of air driving I got a manager to spot me. I was putting a truck in that we were told not to pull out. the other guy left I asked the manager to spot me. She let me put a 6 in scratch down the side of the truck from a lug nut. I was charged with an accident. I told my manager i would pay for it he said it cost about 94 cents to fix. I got charged for failing to properly use a spotter which makes no friend@#!ing sense.

hyena

All though she had the other manager show her before he transferred out. I filed a grievance which wasnt heard because I didnt cite an article that was being violated. Then the harrasment and discrimination really came out they tried firing me the only thing that saved me was that grievance. We came up with a deal that if I dropped all my grievances theyd let me drive in six months. I work in a center that has 21 drivers no ones planning on retiring untill next year. Im the only one who has tattoos and earings thats why they dont like me. They let a couple of other people drive when they had accidents way more seirous then mine. Everyday im fighting for my job still. It just all dont seem fair.

over9five

Staff member
Where's your shop steward? You have to grieve this finding immediately.

If nothing else, you were working as directed. (A supervisor was telling you to back, so you did).

Didn't know how to spot??? That is ridiculous. It's a shame the sup would weasel out of responsibility in this fashion, and also a shame that the center manager let her weasel.

hyena

she was standing on the side that got scratced telling me to cmon. It was the bottom rail on the truck. If i had an eighth of an inch it wouldnt have happpened

hyena

my shop steward was quoted as saying to fire me to the on road sup and center manager. I went to my local president my steward didnt like that apparently. He didnt want to fight to begin with.

hyena

there still has to be something i can do i like to think. Ive tried using the proper channels. Maybe a letter to MR. Hoffa?

over9five

Staff member
Some people don't know this, but you don't have to use your shop steward. You can choose any steward in your building to represent you.

March 29 is too long ago to change anything now. Just come in and do your job everyday. Soon their attention will move to someone else.

hyena

After working for UPS I found out u can throw that saying away work hard and youll be rewarded thats like something in a fairy tale. That aint how it is in the real world!

diesel96

What's this talk of a spotter?....You work alone 99% of the time. Don't back if neccessary. If you have to, use your mirrors and back up cam. If a road sup is riding with you and they feel the need to spot you, why back at all? Get out and walk it out. It's not like your driving a feeder with a blind side back, it's a straight single chasis back. Trust your mirrors and back up cam and be done with it. No excuses! Accept your warning letter and just use good judgement in the future. Good Luck.

chopstic

After working for UPS I found out u can throw that saying away work hard and youll be rewarded thats like something in a fairy tale. That aint how it is in the real world!

I've been through quite a few jobs and have to say there is a "night and day" difference between working in a union job and a non-union job. Although I enjoy the benefits of the union it does create a much more lazy environment in which the union actually prevents UPS from rewarding those who work hard.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I've been through quite a few jobs and have to say there is a "night and day" difference between working in a union job and a non-union job. Although I enjoy the benefits of the union it does create a much more lazy environment in which the union actually prevents UPS from rewarding those who work hard.

I do have to give you credit for having the cajones to make comments like those on a forum such as this. I will reserve my opinion on their accuracy.

SmithBarney

I was taught early, (by someone else's mistake) if you don't think you can
make it even the slightest doubt in your mind, get the oncar or sup to move
it, let him deal with it. chances are if they put the scratch in the truck.. they'll
just brush it away like it never happened