Accidents

cino321

It's funny because our building is so tight we scratch our neighboring cars whenever we park back them into bays at night, and the preload, well they destroy them. Something like that wouldn't be even considered a accident in my building, unless someone wanted a reason to get at you.

hyena

What's this talk of a spotter?....You work alone 99% of the time. Don't back if neccessary. If you have to, use your mirrors and back up cam. If a road sup is riding with you and they feel the need to spot you, why back at all? Get out and walk it out. It's not like your driving a feeder with a blind side back, it's a straight single chasis back. Trust your mirrors and back up cam and be done with it. No excuses! Accept your warning letter and just use good judgement in the future. Good Luck.
Actually I fought the warning letter it was removed. I was backing into the building which I have an eight hour day so they told me I had to park the truck. I used my mirrors and cam. I did everything I could. Are trucks are parked inches away from each other. That was not a fair comment but it is your oppinion. Im not trying to make exuces but for my spotter not to pay attention and tell me to come on. She didnt even know I scratched the truck I found out after i stuck my head out the door. Ive never been in an accident in my personal vehichle or any other when i have been by myself

dillweed

It was wise to ask the sup to spot you and I 'd hope it would be encouraged in all buildings.

She was spotting and you worked as directed. Shame she didn't do a very good job and even worse she didn't want to accept her responsibility.

Bryishre

ktm atv racer
we had a driver have his yearly s and v ride and the sup got out to spot and backed in to a driveway the hitch on back put a pretty big scrape in the driveway it the driver was charged and they to us in a pcm the next day that in the end it is the drivers responsibility we are the ones in control of the packge car

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
we had a driver have his yearly s and v ride and the sup got out to spot and backed in to a driveway the hitch on back put a pretty big scrape in the driveway it the driver was charged and they to us in a pcm the next day that in the end it is the drivers responsibility we are the ones in control of the packge car
There is a driveway on my route that has a very steep angle to it, and over the years I have carved a 2-foot long divot in the road and in the driveway with my trailer hitch going in and out of there. The owner doesnt care, he's just happy that I can get up his driveway to give him his package. It is ridiculous to charge a driver for that, it is not an accident but rather an inevitable consequence of geometry, the wheelbase of the vehicle and the design of the hitch. Its easy to "charge" drivers with ticky-tacky crap like this when you sit behind a desk and dont have to work in the real world.

browniehound

Actually I fought the warning letter it was removed. I was backing into the building which I have an eight hour day so they told me I had to park the truck. I used my mirrors and cam. I did everything I could. Are trucks are parked inches away from each other. That was not a fair comment but it is your oppinion. Im not trying to make exuces but for my spotter not to pay attention and tell me to come on. She didnt even know I scratched the truck I found out after i stuck my head out the door. Ive never been in an accident in my personal vehichle or any other when i have been by myself

Hey hyena,
In my center that wouldn't even be considered an accident. like someone said, the carwashers and preloaders that move the cars do much more damage than what you described.

When I was a rookie I did the same as you but without a spotter. When I told my sup., he told me not to worry about it as the mechanics have plenty of brown paint.

Just one more thing. I'm not saying you need to be perfect, but breaking your text into paragraphs and sentences helps the reader understand what you're trying to say. When you write "Are trucks are parked inches away from each other.", we can't know for sure if you are making a statement or asking a question.

"Our" trucks 'are' parked inches away from each other in the center I work. I'm sure this is the norm throughout UPS. The trucks need to be parked inches away from each other so the preloader can load 3-5 trucks in the most efficent manner.

Do you really expect the car line-up to have 3 feet of space between each car? Do you think there is a center in this country in which this is the case?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Do you really expect the car line-up to have 3 feet of space between each car? Do you think there is a center in this country in which this is the case?

Can you imagine how inefficient that would be?

I am also surprised that they charged him. It sounds like something a quick coat of brown paint could have taken care of.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
"Our" trucks 'are' parked inches away from each other in the center I work. I'm sure this is the norm throughout UPS. The trucks need to be parked inches away from each other so the preloader can load 3-5 trucks in the most efficent manner.

They dont need 3 feet, but a couple of extra inches wouldnt hurt. My facility was built in 1987 and was overcrowded and obsolete the day we moved into it. It was designed to park 120 vehicles;we currenly dispatch almost 200 during the normal part of the year. We have 2 boxlines that park 30 trucks on each side; some bean counter figured out that if you parked each truck 3 inches closer you could squeeze 1 more truck in on each side, creating 4 more park positions.
I dont have a problem with this, it is good and efficent business. But if you are going to make a decision to sardine-can the trucks in, dont turn around and get anal and petty about the scratches and dings that will inevitably result. If you are going to "charge" someone with an accident....charge the individual who made the business decison to park them so close that they are touching. Buy a can of brown paint and quit harrassing the drivers.

hyena

Hey hyena,
In my center that wouldn't even be considered an accident. like someone said, the carwashers and preloaders that move the cars do much more damage than what you described.

When I was a rookie I did the same as you but without a spotter. When I told my sup., he told me not to worry about it as the mechanics have plenty of brown paint.

Just one more thing. I'm not saying you need to be perfect, but breaking your text into paragraphs and sentences helps the reader understand what you're trying to say. When you write "Are trucks are parked inches away from each other.", we can't know for sure if you are making a statement or asking a question.

your right I should have taken more time and wrote everything out so people understood me better. I should have explained everything from the beginning. And no I dont think cars should be parked 3 feet away from each other. It just sucks because I came to UPS to drive and I had it then it was taken away. Now ill have to wait a year or two before anyone retires but hey I guess thats just the way it is and theres nothing I can do about it now. It just sucks cause everyday I continue to fight for my job because a sup dont like me. I just want to support my family. I wish we had a strong union here. Thanxs everyone for your input

Last edited by a moderator:

upsgrunt

Cars parked three feet apart- no way, but 3 more inches is needed. I cannot even get into my package car from the front because they are parked so close. I have to climb over the stack from the back to get in to pull it out.

I'm in a P-57 and the cars on both sides stick out quite a bit farther than mine. As usual, mine has to come out first so the others can leave, so I have to "climb and swim" to even get to the seat.

Friday when I pulled out, the cars were so close I broke a mirror before I moved literally one inch. That's just too damn close. I told the sup and he said to meet him in the mechanic's bay where he replaced the mirror glass himself and never said another word about it. I think management realizes that it is ridiculous also. (the closeness)

brownrodster

It's funny because our building is so tight we scratch our neighboring cars whenever we park back them into bays at night, and the preload, well they destroy them. Something like that wouldn't be even considered a accident in my building, unless someone wanted a reason to get at you.

Same in my building. Seen part time parkers dent and scratch up trucks all the time. Seen drivers take out mirrors only to have managers put a new one on. Our trucks are packed like sardines. I don't ever bother to park my truck online. I put it far away and leave it for the PTers to deal with after I'm gone.

SmithBarney

Ours during peak were so close one day, that once they were loaded they touched at
the top, because both had bulk stops on the matching sides, so they both leaned
into each other... yup, call the sup and say you move it.. you can't get written up
for "refusing to work in an unsafe manner"