Accidents

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
When I was a new driver my on-car told me that it was really difficult for a seniority driver to get fired for accidents where it wasn't a blatant reckless situation and that they had a driver at the time who had 6 accidents within a year on a working termination and he assumed the driver would continue driving.

I've since of course seen a lot more drivers in accidents and have a better understanding of how it all works, but locally he wasn't wrong with what he said.

rod

Retired 22 years
How many deemed for termination, clipped Mack on left side taking out headlight assembly with 53 ft trailer, this is the 3rd preventable, got warning letter stating no incidents for 9 months, missed by 19 days, guess I better start looking for another job?

Its very simple---if they like you and you are giving them good numbers for their stupid reports then you are safe. If you are a trouble maker and call in absent often you are toast.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
If you've already received a warning letter you should be getting progressive discipline.

Warning letter > 1 day suspension > 3 day suspension > 5 day suspension > discharge

Progressive discipline is warning letter -> suspension -> discharge.

Three strikes and you could be out. No such progression as 1 day, 3 day then 5 day suspension.

Deals can be made that way at the hearing, but don't count on it.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
How many deemed for termination, clipped Mack on left side taking out headlight assembly with 53 ft trailer, this is the 3rd preventable, got warning letter stating no incidents for 9 months, missed by 19 days, guess I better start looking for another job?

If they are minor, non DOT reportable, first one could get you a warning letter. Second within 9 months could be a suspension. 3rd in a 9 month period could be a discharge.

I've got plenty of discharges reduced to suspensions for the third accidents during hearings.

Granted, they were minor, but the third doesn't necessarily end your employement. But, contractually, it could.

AKCoverMan

If they are minor, non DOT reportable, first one could get you a warning letter. Second within 9 months could be a suspension. 3rd in a 9 month period could be a discharge.

I've got plenty of discharges reduced to suspensions for the third accidents during hearings.

Granted, they were minor, but the third doesn't necessarily end your employement. But, contractually, it could.

But this wasn't third in nine months it was third in three years. It was the second in nine months and one of those falls off the nine month history in 19 days.

Of course the company might spank him by walking him out knowing that the union will grieve the termination and he will get his job back.

Sucks but it happens.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
But this wasn't third in nine months it was third in three years. It was the second in nine months and one of those falls off the nine month history in 19 days.

Of course the company might spank him by walking him out knowing that the union will grieve the termination and he will get his job back.

Sucks but it happens.

Could't really figure it out from his post, but if it is the second in 9 months, it should only be a suspension, no walking out.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I know it isn't easy driving those things, but I would think you would be less likely to be hitting things?

The majority of the accidents are in the yard.

Hitting another trailer while backing up.
Clipping something with the tractor while backing.
Not checking the 5th wheel latch and dropping the trailer.
Forking the back box with the dolly because the trailer is too low.
Not securing a swing door and damaging it while spotting on a door.
Hitting another trailer in a crowded yard going around a tight corner.

A lot of the accidents that occur off property are in bad weather, fog, heavy rain, snow, etc.

And while anyone is subject to having an accident, most are related to a driver with less than 2 years in feeders.

Still new, still learning to drive something so big and long.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
depends on management. we had a guy get in 3 accidents in just a couple months but we were so hard up for drivers they gave him additional training and he has been fine for almost 6 months now.

good luck.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer

"Plenty of discharges for third accidents?" how many accidents have you been in?

O

OLDMAN3

Suspension, unless they decide to just give you a warning letter again.
You have 18 days to stay clean for the previous warning letter to expire.
If they try for termination they are not following progressive discipline procedures.

Don't forget to grieve the discipline.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Is that like riding the "Hershey Highway"? :hapydancsmil:

I can tell you all about the Hershey Highway. It's about 5 miles from my house.

........Oh wait.......you meant............

3a9f7de49996063a03170caa51c1f5a4.jpg