Accounting Department out of control

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Not only is my uniform getting raggedy. I only have 2 uniforms. I've been begging for another uniform for a year. I might file a grievence.
You know those new delivery notices, the big long ones, in two languages? Well I have rather large mounds underneath the pockets, and my pocket edges are worn from the notices I carry in my pockets.
But we are watching costs here in North east Ohio also. Soon I will be thread bare, and then too, it will be my fault.

Service Failure

I haven't heard of any penny pinching to that extreme here. They actually recently asked us if we needed new uniforms and pens are always placed for grabs in the office.

P.S Those pens really are the best. It writes on freaking tape. That's just amazing for a dingy looking pen.

tieguy

Banned
The contract states that "the Employer will provide suitable uniforms for summer and winter". It also requires the company to provide laundry service. Only issuing 2 uniforms is a contract violation, he cant use the service if he only has 2 uniforms....and a stinking, filthy, dirty uniform is not "suitable".
If the situation happened to me, I wouldnt be borrowing ANYBODYS uniform. My sup would have to find me one. Every day. It would become such a pain in the ass to him that he would probably just order me some new ones...which is what he should have done in the first place. Problem solved.

the problem is you're looking to jam your customers and your management team due to some short sighted finance plan out of their control. You do that to me I'll find you something hanging on the rack whether its your exact size or not. Don't like it no problem grieve it and we'll talk about it in a couple of weeks. Meanwhile the packages get delivered no matter how big an A-hole you try to be. If you don't like the process we have in for uniforms then grieve it. but don' be an ass and try to screw everybody just to be an ass.

LOL. Tie, you crack me up. You are so out of touch with self reality that is is hilarious. In your little world, YOU are the only one that has any rights it seems. This driver that is being treated in a manner that not many have to go though tries to find a way to get his uniforms provided as needed and you think he's being an A-hole. Yet, in your Ivory Tower of Power YOU find it OK to make him wear just any old uniform (properly fitting or not, clean or not). If that's not being an A-hole, nothing is. The fact is that if YOU had supplied the proper amount of uniforms to begin with there would be no problem to address.
Tie you once scolded me for saying you are the typical management person yet, in post after post you reaffirm that notion.
I laugh in your specific direction.

brownrodster

LOL. Tie, you crack me up. You are so out of touch with self reality that is is hilarious. In your little world, YOU are the only one that has any rights it seems. This driver that is being treated in a manner that not many have to go though tries to find a way to get his uniforms provided as needed and you think he's being an A-hole. Yet, in your Ivory Tower of Power YOU find it OK to make him wear just any old uniform (properly fitting or not, clean or not). If that's not being an A-hole, nothing is. The fact is that if YOU had supplied the proper amount of uniforms to begin with there would be no problem to address..

I think tie is being perfectly reasonable. My local management has no control over uniform purchases, However, I'm sure if I pleaded my case well enough to my center manager he could get me the hookup, I just haven't gone that far yet. Our uniform orders are sent away then someone somewhere else decides to approve our request or not. I've seen my uniform orders sent in many times. They just never get approved. And our monthly uniform budget is so low that maybe 1 or 2 guys a month get something and the rest just have to wait forever.

Eventually I'll say something to my center manager about the necessity of my having several clean uniforms for the week. And if he does not help me out in a timely fashion I will grieve it.

JustTired

free at last.......
I don't see what the problem is. If the company wants you to present yourself in an ill-fitting, torn up uniform....then so be it. Swallow your pride and do the job. After all, you won't look any worse than the unshaven, sloppy looking guys that deliver your mail.

Lousy uniforms.......unwashed trucks..... it's just visual proof to the stockholders that your cutting costs. After all, a well groomed driver and a well maintained vehicle looks expensive to those on the outside.

Just another couple of things that set us apart from the competition down the drain.

J

jeblatz

Send the driver to Walmart with cash after his airs. They sell brown Dickies that look real close. I guess you all have no uniforms because I ordered too many to use at home and work on the car with.

tieguy

Banned
LOL. Tie, you crack me up. You are so out of touch with self reality that is is hilarious. In your little world, YOU are the only one that has any rights it seems. This driver that is being treated in a manner that not many have to go though tries to find a way to get his uniforms provided as needed and you think he's being an A-hole. Yet, in your Ivory Tower of Power YOU find it .

Tnkpnkl interesting terminology. Maybe your world is one of dungeon, dragons and towers. Mine is one were we go out and take care of the customer and we don't play games because some finance nazi locked out the uniform ordering system. For some reason that I don't understand I never have any problems explaining that concept to my group of drivers while you appear to be baffled by the concept.

upsdude

I you can't get the required uniforms, file on it. Doing so will probably accomplish 2 things, get you new uniforms and help your manager get around the money nazis.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
If you don't like the process we have in for uniforms then grieve it. but don' be an ass and try to screw everybody just to be an ass.
The only "ass" in this situation is the guy who won't do his job and supply the driver with the uniform that he needs to do HIS job.

Last edited:

soberups

the problem is you're looking to jam your customers and your management team due to some short sighted finance plan out of their control. .
The original poster stated that the uniform problem has been ongoing.
If it were me, I wouldnt want to jam my customers or my management. I would inform my management that I needed new uniforms and give them a reasonable amount of time to provide them. If UPS continues to make a business decision to refuse to provide needed uniforms, then at some point UPS needs to be forced to confont the consequences of that decision. If my management gets caught in the middle, too bad....they chose to be a conduit between those who do the work and those upstairs who make the decisions. If it flows down through you, then it will regurgitate back up through you. It sucks being a tube, but thats why you guys make the big bucks.

DS

Fenderbender
Cool.......a paraphrased Monty Python quote.

Maybe you should ask him what his favorite color is!:surprised:

What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?
Three shall be the number thou shalt count

Airspeed can also be predicted using a published formula. By inverting this midpoint Strouhal ratio of 0.3 (friendA/U ≈ 0.3), Graham K. Taylor et al. show that as a rule of thumb, the speed of a flying animal is roughly 3 times frequency times amplitude (U ≈ 3friendA).5

We now need only plug in the numbers:
U ≈ 3friendA
friend ≈ 15 (beats per second)
A ≈ 0.22 (meters per beat)
U ≈ 3*15*0.22 ≈ 9.9​
... to estimate that the airspeed velocity of an unladen European Swallow is 10 meters per second.

tieguy

Banned
The original poster stated that the uniform problem has been ongoing.
If it were me, I wouldnt want to jam my customers or my management. I would inform my management that I needed new uniforms and give them a reasonable amount of time to provide them. If UPS continues to make a business decision to refuse to provide needed uniforms, then at some point UPS needs to be forced to confont the consequences of that decision. If my management gets caught in the middle, too bad....they chose to be a conduit between those who do the work and those upstairs who make the decisions. If it flows down through you, then it will regurgitate back up through you. It sucks being a tube, but thats why you guys make the big bucks.

File your grievance if you don't like the policy and address it that way.
Your attitude absolutely sucks and is an embarrassment to all the hard working folks in brown.

soberups

File your grievance if you don't like the policy and address it that way.

Your attitude absolutely sucks and is an embarrassment to all the hard working folks in brown.
  • I am not the original poster. I was merely offering a suggestion for dealing with the problem.
  • The embarrassment and poor attitude in this case belongs solely to the tightass who refuses do his job and provide uniforms to the hard working folks in brown.
  • If, as an employee, I continuously and repeatedly refused to do MY job in the manner required, I would be facing consequences. It should be no different for management, whether they run a center or dole out uniforms.
  • I would NOT just walk in one day out of the blue and dump this problem on my managements lap. I would first communicate the problem to them, document it, and give them a reasonable opportunity to correct it before taking further action. Sort of like progressive discipline in reverse.
  • Sometimes, problems at UPS just dont get corrected unless management is sufficiently "motivated" to solve them. And I gurantee you that a center manager does have the ability to get uniforms shipped overnight if necessary. He just needs to be sufficiently motivated.

tieguy

Banned
  • I am not the original poster. I was merely offering a suggestion for dealing with the problem.
  • The embarrassment and poor attitude in this case belongs solely to the tightass who refuses do his job and provide uniforms to the hard working folks in brown.
  • If, as an employee, I continuously and repeatedly refused to do MY job in the manner required, I would be facing consequences. It should be no different for management, whether they run a center or dole out uniforms.
  • I would NOT just walk in one day out of the blue and dump this problem on my managements lap. I would first communicate the problem to them, document it, and give them a reasonable opportunity to correct it before taking further action. Sort of like progressive discipline in reverse.
  • Sometimes, problems at UPS just dont get corrected unless management is sufficiently "motivated" to solve them. And I gurantee you that a center manager does have the ability to get uniforms shipped overnight if necessary. He just needs to be sufficiently motivated.

Your mindset is to make excuses for having a crappy attitude. file the grievance. Leave the reindeer games at home.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Tnkpnkl interesting terminology. Maybe your world is one of dungeon, dragons and towers. Mine is one were we go out and take care of the customer and we don't play games because some finance nazi locked out the uniform ordering system. For some reason that I don't understand I never have any problems explaining that concept to my group of drivers while you appear to be baffled by the concept.

no personal slam to you, but with all of this cost cutting, especially the routes being cut, but not seeing much of a decline in the stops, customers are becoming upset and there are some that are on the block. Why is it so hard to understand that when you :censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2: with the routes and the company is already begging for more volume, you dont piss off the customers you already have. Do we really want loyal ups customers to go to the other side.Someone explain this to me.

Last edited:

soberups

Your mindset is to make excuses for having a crappy attitude. file the grievance. Leave the reindeer games at home.
The best way to tell that one has gotten one's point across....is when the person who disagrees with you can only respond by flinging insults instead of sticking to facts.

Channahon

The Finance dept has been out of control for a couple years before I retired in 2006. And with Scott Davis being the CEO and CFO in the past, I do believe the Controllers direction from Corporate is even more intense than ever.

Uniform parts are always part of the budget, and NO driver should not have the proper amount to meet UPS appearance standards. Reading about the changes in the quality of the uniform parts, should be the cost savings to the company. And is the quality of the uniforms are poor, then replacement probably are needed more often. Surely, someone in Corporate can do a study on this subject.

Drivers having to file grievances to get uniform parts, now there is a waste of time and money for all parties involved.

soberups

The Finance dept has been out of control for a couple years before I retired in 2006. And with Scott Davis being the CEO and CFO in the past, I do believe the Controllers direction from Corporate is even more intense than ever.
That is why it is so important to develop a "tough love" attitude towards this destructive behavior. Dont rescue UPS from the consequences of its poor choices. Dont enable the poor decision making to succeed. If some bean-counter in another time zone has decided in all his infinite wisdom that the uniform budget must be cut...then force UPS to pay the price for his stupidity. The contract that UPS entered into is very clear about the responsibiity for providing suitable uniforms. The lack of uniforms is THEIR problem...dont let it turn into OUR problem. If you dont have a uniform, then show up for work anyway, clock on, and put the problem right back in managements lap where it belongs. Help them to develop a "sense of urgency" about fixing this problem by making more expensive and painful to ignore it than to buck up and actually solve it.