Act Section 806

hitman15

Fair enough; I might be. Concievably, you may be the problem too.

All I do is go to work every day and try to go home. In my work all I see are unsafe work areas and unsafe conditions. This is what I see and deal with every day for 8 hours. I am not on the road driving right now so this is not the POV of a driver.

My point is, UPS should spend time fixing their own problems. Now suddenly, the Teamsters ( who I am hardly a spirited supporter of ) AND UPS want my and everyones support on a very touchy issue.

What happens , hypothetically, after Fedex Exp negotiates with the Teamsters and comes up with a $22/hr or $26/hr top driver rate? In 2012 when it is time for UPS and the Teamsters to go to the table and UPSs profits are at a record 50 billion a year and top driver rate is $32/hr they will unsavorably request concessions from the Teamters. "Well FedEx drivers doing the same job under the same act are making $22/hr, so we want some give backs"

Imagine that, 1997 all over again...UPSs best and final offer spitting in the face of the letter-writers!

All I have to say is, take care of your own house first

Let's take it one step further. Lets say FedEx strikes. What's to keep them from asking UPSers from striking??? I have yet to see the benefit of the passage of this piece of legislature from the point of view of a tax-paying American.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Let's take it one step further. Lets say FedEx strikes. What's to keep them from asking UPSers from striking??? I have yet to see the benefit of the passage of this piece of legislature from the point of view of a tax-paying American.
And why would UPS strike? Did freight go on strike when we did? Or did we go out when freight did? Dhl had a one day strike here sevral years back and UPS kept on working. Without crossing any of their lines.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have yet to see the benefit of the passage of this piece of legislature from the point of view of a tax-paying American.

That's because there is no benefit to the average tax paying American who could probably care less whether FedEx has a competitive advantage over us or not.

The Railway Labor Act was signed in to law during the 1930's when railroads were the major carrier of goods and services for our nation and the govt wanted legislation in place which would forbid the railroads from going on strike, thereby potentially crippling the nation. Removal of the RLA exemption will allow FedEx employees to organize--it will not automatically organize them. It is generally assumed that this organizing will increase their labor costs which will increase their operating costs which should help to level the playing field.

I spoke to a FedEx Express driver the other day and he is worried that the removal of the RLA may have quite the opposite effect. He is concerned that FedEx will simply shift the work to the Ground drivers and that he may be out of a job. This is a driver who has more time with FedEx than I have with UPS.

At any rate, I support the letter writing campaign as removal of the RLA exemption should benefit both the company and the union.

tieguy

Banned
And my question still remains unanswered:

If UPS made record profits in 98-99 and still refused to abide by the contract by CREATING NEW 22.3 JOBS because "volume was down", then what makes us think that FedEx possibly going union is going to help UPS Teamsters in 2012 when its time to negotiate?

UPS is a pathologically sick company when it comes to greed. Like an addict, they constantly need more and more and will cast anyone and anything aside to get the absolute largest profits possible (like a high) and place blame onto anyone or anything but themselves to get it.

there might be a few of us that are grateful ups is pathologically obsessed with being profitable. This pathological obsession is one reason this company is surviving when some of the biggest bell weathers in the world have suffered or gone under. Pathological obsesson is what has allowed us to be compensated as well as we have been. Pathological obsession ? Did you think before you posted that?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
"UPS is a pathologically sick company when it comes to greed. Like an addict, they constantly need more and more and will cast anyone and anything aside to get the absolute largest profits possible (like a high) and place blame onto anyone or anything but themselves to get it."

It is pathologically sick for a company to make record profits , then deny the truth (by saying volume is down), and deny very contract language they agreed to, by not creating newly created full-time jobs by combining 2 part-time jobs. It is a firmly instilled attitude and action process, going through the "motions"

That is beyond normal behaviour, it is called desperate corporate greed to put an extra mil or two in some big wig pockets. And IIRC it came down to lawsuits by the Teamsters to get the push to create the jobs, it was not UPS willingly agreeing to anything.

Much like a pheening herione addict that can not get high enough to feel satisfied as the previous time and will shoot up more and more to achive the same high , casting aside everyone and everything in its path. That is the type of behaviour I am talking about.

I am not talking about pathological obessesion to be a successful company under ethical guidelines and behaviours, as you seem to spin it.

pretzel_man

"UPS is a pathologically sick company when it comes to greed. Like an addict, they constantly need more and more and will cast anyone and anything aside to get the absolute largest profits possible (like a high) and place blame onto anyone or anything but themselves to get it."

It is pathologically sick for a company to make record profits , then deny the truth (by saying volume is down), and deny very contract language they agreed to, by not creating newly created full-time jobs by combining 2 part-time jobs.

That is beyond normal behaviour, it is called desperate corporate greed to put an extra mil or two in some big wig pockets. And IIRC it came down to lawsuits by the Teamsters to get the push to create the jobs, it was not UPS willingly agreeing to anything.

Much like a pheening herione addict that can not get high enough to feel satisfied as the previous time and will shoot up more and more to achive the same high , casting aside everyone and everything in its path. That is the type of behaviour I am talking about.

I am not talking about pathological obessesion to be a successful company under ethical guidelines and behaviours, as you seem to spin it.

First, greed is an interesting word. I don't recall either side coming to the table asking for less. If you want more for yourself, its deserved. If UPS tries to get more for shareowners its greed. I'm not sure why greed got such a bad name.

Next, I believe you are referring to the '97 contract and the provision for 10,000 new full time jobs, right. As I recall, there was some wording regarding that part of the contract being valid only if the lost volume returned back to UPS. You may have the actual wording, but as I recall volume was down and UPS argued that the article was not valid due to the loss.

You argued (and won) that UPS was wrong. If someone has other facts, post them. Both sides believed they were right. The courts sided with the union. If the courts sided with UPS, I guess you would be pathologically sick?

P-Man

Dustyroads

I got in the way-back machine, and seem to recall when there wasn't a Business Development nor a Sales department. We had these guys who worked in what we called Customer Service. The times have sure changed.

As for writing our Senators, I think it's a good idea. I guess I feel a little uneasy about being directed as to what to write, I think most of us are bright enough to compose it without being given a something to copy.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

It is pathologically sick for a company to make record profits , then deny the truth (by saying volume is down), and deny very contract language they agreed to, by not creating newly created full-time jobs by combining 2 part-time jobs. It is a firmly instilled attitude and action process, going through the "motions"

Interesting personification of a inanimate entity.
Shake hands with UPS.

Ashell

So I have asked around about 806 and this is what I have peiced together.

UPS and FedEX are under 2 different transport types.
The Teamsters control 1 type of transportation.
The Union makes UPS's operation costs more.
If FedEX was reclassified to like UPS, then the Teamsters could aquire FedEX employees. (increasing cost to FedEX)
If FedEX was under the teamsters, they would strike. (increasing UPS business)

I have been told that we have to have the union, and we don't have to have a union. We choose to have one, or not have one. Secondly, I believe there is a railroad union. Its just a matter of the teamsters don't get any of that money.

I don't understand why UPS employees should care about FedEX pay rates, or health insurance. First off, in my area FedEX pays significantly more for package handlers. So if they are paying less, its to the drivers. Health insurance is also part of everyones pay, even though you may not see it on your pay check.

I think this whole thing only shows that the teamsters work for UPS, and that they both are only interested in their own profit margin. You won't lose your job because of 806. If you lose your job, it will be because UPS is a mismanaged nepatistic company. The first thing you will hear out of anyone's mouth when you meet them is how long they have been there. It doesn't matter what they have done, or how hard they have worked, just that they have been there. Well what about the person that has "been there" and makes 20$ an hour while new people make 8.50. They do the same job... I can look at the reports and see they do the same volume with the same amount of missorts... Why not the same pay for the same job there??? Because that takes money out of UPS's pockets, not puts money into them.

For everyone that has blindly written a letter, shame on you.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

UPS and FedEX are under 2 different transport types.

FedEx Express employees are governed by the RLA while UPS employees are governed by the NLRB.

The Teamsters control 1 type of transportation.

The Teamsters are a labor union and as such do not control any type of transportation.

The Union makes UPS's operation costs more.

The Teamsters negotiate a labor contract with UPS which has provided UPS employees with a generous compensation and benefit package. This contract does result in higher labor costs than those of our competitors.

If FedEX was reclassified to like UPS, then the Teamsters could aquire FedEX employees. (increasing cost to FedEX)

Removal of the RLA exemption would give FedEx employees the right to organize but will not automatically organize them. The Teamsters would be the logical choice to organize FedEx and it is generally accepted that the labor costs at FedEx would increase.

If FedEX was under the teamsters, they would strike. (increasing UPS business)

Membership in a labor union does afford its' members the right to strike but does not necessarily mean that they will do so.

I have been told that we have to have the union, and we don't have to have a union. We choose to have one, or not have one. Secondly, I believe there is a railroad union. Its just a matter of the teamsters don't get any of that money.

This is a discussion which would take much more time than I have left on my break.

I don't understand why UPS employees should care about FedEX pay rates, or health insurance. First off, in my area FedEX pays significantly more for package handlers. So if they are paying less, its to the drivers. Health insurance is also part of everyones pay, even though you may not see it on your pay check.

We don't (although I do have a few friends at Express and don't think it fair that I make $10/hr more than they do for the same work). We do care about a level playing field.

I think this whole thing only shows that the teamsters work for UPS, and that they both are only interested in their own profit margin. You won't lose your job because of 806. If you lose your job, it will be because UPS is a mismanaged nepatistic company. The first thing you will hear out of anyone's mouth when you meet them is how long they have been there. It doesn't matter what they have done, or how hard they have worked, just that they have been there. Well what about the person that has "been there" and makes 20$ an hour while new people make 8.50. They do the same job... I can look at the reports and see they do the same volume with the same amount of missorts... Why not the same pay for the same job there??? Because that takes money out of UPS's pockets, not puts money into them.

UPS is a for profit company so naturally they are very concerned with their bottom line. The Teamsters also must make a profit in order to meet all of its' current and future obligations.

For everyone that has blindly written a letter, shame on you.

I gladly wrote both of my letters and would write more if asked to. I did not do this blindly. I consider myself to be well versed in the RLA and 806.

FedEx courier

"I don't understand why UPS employees should care about FedEX pay rates, or health insurance."

FedEx is driving down shipping labor standards by hiding behind their RLA classification at FedEx express and their "independent contractor" model at FedEx Ground. This issue effects everyone in the shipping industry. FedEx benefits because they can outbid UPS on accounts and FedEx promises customers that there is never a threat of a strike.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

FedEx is driving down shipping labor standards ...
If you are talking about Ground drivers, then, yes, this is true, but I have yet to meet an Express driver who I would not want working with me. They care just as much about customer service and take just as much pride in their jobs as we do. They just happen to make $10 or more per hour less than I do. Remove the RLA, level the playing field, and give these guys the contract that they deserve.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
If you are talking about Ground drivers, then, yes, this is true, but I have yet to meet an Express driver who I would not want working with me. They care just as much about customer service and take just as much pride in their jobs as we do. They just happen to make $10 or more per hour less than I do. Remove the RLA, level the playing field, and give these guys the contract that they deserve.
I guess I live in a good area. I am not getting the bad rep that the FX ground drivers are getting. The drivers here are professional, courteous and well groomed. I would not have a problem working next to any one of them.

FedEx courier

I agree with your statement 100%. I don't think any of the drivers don't take pride in their work, I think many are pissed at FedEx for this ridiculous brownbailout campaign but who can blaim them? FedEx doesn't give their drivers a raise, instead spending all this money on the brownbailout crap and lobbying against a change in the RLA classification. FedEx keeps touting that they are a top 100 company to work for, then prove it! Let the classification change and see how many of your people vote a union in!

tieguy

Banned
question I have. What benifit is there to the passing of this bill.

1)The only benifit I know of is passing it would mean it would be easier for the union to organize fdx employees

2)and fdx currently could not be struck without going through a mandatory mediation process.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
We had to write 2 letters. One for each of our senators. Then we filled out 4 evelopes. 2 envelopes per senator. One was their state office address....the other was their DC office address. They wouuld then photocopy the two letters and send them in the 2 extra envelopes. We had one guy sit down and start to write that he did not support the section 806 in the act. The sup had him finish the letter, I hope the said sup had enough sense to not mail it.
I did that all by myself